RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket remote start options

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 07:00 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 626 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Anyone tried the MPC remote start? Thinking of getting that for my RX, it's half the price of the 12volt one.
not sure about the MPC one, but I did buy the 12volt one for both my RX and ES. Both were installed without a hiccup. If you have any questions PM me
Old 02-08-22, 10:50 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote start 12v vs other brands

Hi all,

I'm looking to do a self-install for an aftermarket system on my 2016 RX450h. So far the best plug and play / self-installation option appears to be from 12V solutions. However, a must-have for me is for the starter to come with an iphone app. Are there any other less expensive brands than 12V that offer an easy installation and an iphone app?
Old 02-08-22, 03:26 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 104 Posts

Never used a 12Volt Solutions R/S unit so I can't speak to their quality. I have used systems from Fortin and iDataStart.

I like the iDataStart units. Nothing is pure Plug-N-Play for that vehicle. Even with a T-Harness you will have to make a few hardwired connections if you want all the bells and whistles.

I have a 2018 RX350 and installed an iDataStart HC3 system. I did not use a phone app (although I could add that at any time). just 2 two-way 4 button remotes with 1 mile range. Install was pretty much the same as your RX450h with the exception of one less wire on my non-hybrid. If I didn't want the iDataStart remotes to have the ability to pop the rear hatch, my install would have been total Plug-N-Play.

Anyway, the Drone Mobile phone app is very good and can be used with the iDataStart unit. They go for about $80 and there is an additional monthly or yearly subscription fee. A quick look at online sellers finds these prices :
ADS THR TL7 T-Harness = $60
iDataStart HC 2.5 R/S system = $170 *
Drone Mobile X1 LTE = $80

This system would give you 3X Lock R/S from the Factory Remotes. Drone Mobile phone app for vehicle control from any area covered by a cell tower. Plus 2 two-way remotes with 3,000 foot range. It would be Plug-N-Play with the exception of 2 or 3 hardwire connections if you wanted / needed the features they provide (trunk pop and idle mode). Here is a link to the ADS iDataStart to look up the install guide : - iDatalink - Home
Select Lexus ; 2016 : RX450h and then HC2352AC

The only possible addition would be an ADS USB harness ($40) if you wanted to flash the required vehicle specific firmware yourself. It might be possible to find an online seller that would flash the iDataStart controller prior to shipment. It appears the 12Volt Solutions system is $480 as per your configuration so the iDataStart system is a bit cheaper with more features.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 02-08-22 at 03:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlopTop04:
DaSyce (10-11-22), Meeninta (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:05 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Never used a 12Volt Solutions R/S unit so I can't speak to their quality. I have used systems from Fortin and iDataStart.

I like the iDataStart units. Nothing is pure Plug-N-Play for that vehicle. Even with a T-Harness you will have to make a few hardwired connections if you want all the bells and whistles.

I have a 2018 RX350 and installed an iDataStart HC3 system. I did not use a phone app (although I could add that at any time). just 2 two-way 4 button remotes with 1 mile range. Install was pretty much the same as your RX450h with the exception of one less wire on my non-hybrid. If I didn't want the iDataStart remotes to have the ability to pop the rear hatch, my install would have been total Plug-N-Play.

Anyway, the Drone Mobile phone app is very good and can be used with the iDataStart unit. They go for about $80 and there is an additional monthly or yearly subscription fee. A quick look at online sellers finds these prices :
ADS THR TL7 T-Harness = $60
iDataStart HC 2.5 R/S system = $170 *
Drone Mobile X1 LTE = $80

This system would give you 3X Lock R/S from the Factory Remotes. Drone Mobile phone app for vehicle control from any area covered by a cell tower. Plus 2 two-way remotes with 3,000 foot range. It would be Plug-N-Play with the exception of 2 or 3 hardwire connections if you wanted / needed the features they provide (trunk pop and idle mode). Here is a link to the ADS iDataStart to look up the install guide : - iDatalink - Home
Select Lexus ; 2016 : RX450h and then HC2352AC

The only possible addition would be an ADS USB harness ($40) if you wanted to flash the required vehicle specific firmware yourself. It might be possible to find an online seller that would flash the iDataStart controller prior to shipment. It appears the 12Volt Solutions system is $480 as per your configuration so the iDataStart system is a bit cheaper with more features.
Thank you for all the info! You mentioned the "iDataStart system is a bit cheaper with more features". What features does it have that the 12V doesn't?

Last edited by Meeninta; 02-09-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 07:48 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

You mentioned the "iDataStart system is a bit cheaper with more features". What features does it have that the 12V doesn't?

It appears that the basic 12Volt Solutions system does not do a trunk pop (even with the add-on remotes or phone app) but with one additional hardwire connection the iDataStart system does. While some people don't want to carry around an additional remote, the iDataStart system comes with 2 four button remotes that can lock, unlock, raise the rear hatch and start the engine from a much greater distance (more than 1/2 mile) than the factory FOB's can. Additionally, the iDataStart remotes provide an audio and visual confirmation of command completion.
The following users liked this post:
Meeninta (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 07:50 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

You mentioned the "iDataStart system is a bit cheaper with more features". What features does it have that the 12V doesn't?

It appears that the basic 12Volt Solutions system does not do a trunk pop (even with the add-on remotes or phone app) but with one additional hardwire connection the iDataStart system does. While some people don't want to carry around an additional remote, the iDataStart system comes with 2 four button remotes that can lock, unlock, raise the rear hatch and start the engine from a much greater distance (more than 1/2 mile) than the factory FOB's can. Additionally, the iDataStart remotes provide an audio and visual confirmation of command completion.
Gotcha. Do you know if it has GPS tracking (like showing me where the car was last parked)? I didn't see that mentioned on the website. Also how much does the unit cost and how much would it cost to add the app? On their website they don't sell it directly. Instead I have to go through an authorized retailer 100 miles away from me.
Old 02-09-22, 12:41 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

The Drone Mobile app does a lot. Here is a link to a YouTube video from the manufacturer :

As for the system price, the items I have listed above gives you Remote Start, 2 two-way remotes with 3,000 foot range and Drone Mobile for cell phone control. Total would be around $310 plus tax. The Drone Mobile app is a free download. The install can be DIY. The Drone Mobile can be activated online by you. The only minor issue would be getting the iDataStart HC 2.5 flashed with the correct firmware. That can also be done by you with your PC or Laptop if you get the ADS USB cable and have internet access.

I could flash the iDataStart module for you and/or even help with the install depending on your distance from me.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 02-09-22 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Meeninta (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 01:19 PM
Meeninta
10th Gear

The Drone Mobile app does a lot. Here is a link to a YouTube video from the manufacturer :

As for the system price, the items I have listed above gives you Remote Start, 2 two-way remotes with 3,000 foot range and Drone Mobile for cell phone control. Total would be around $310 plus tax. The Drone Mobile app is a free download. The install can be DIY. The Drone Mobile can be activated online by you. The only minor issue would be getting the iDataStart HC 2.5 flashed with the correct firmware. That can also be done by you with your PC or Laptop if you get the ADS USB cable and have internet access.

I could flash the iDataStart module for you and/or even help with the install depending on your distance from me.
Thank you so much!
Old 05-15-22, 01:53 PM
teknoprep
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding Factory Remote Start

As many of you are experiencing, my Enform subscription is ending with my 2016 RX350 because of 3G Shutdown. This will probably be my last Lexus since they aren't simply offering an LTE upgrade like other OEM's. And geniuses at Lexus also will ensure this causes my remote start on my key fob to stop working!

That aside, I'm trying to choose between a 3rd party remote start system (long range, 2 way, LTE) - like the Compustar w/ LTE, or simply having Lexus dealer install a factory remote start.

Two sets of questions:
  • Do Lexus dealers offer to install a factory remote start that will work with my original keyfob? If so, do you know the estimate cost?
  • If I install a Compustar system will I need a bypass module? I'm guessing I'll also need to carry 2 keyfobs since I'll need the original to drive the car? And I've heard the car will turn off if the doors open, is this true?

Thank you!
Old 05-15-22, 06:09 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

"Do Lexus dealers offer to install a factory remote start that will work with my original keyfob? If so, do you know the estimate cost?"

I am not aware of any official Factory Remote Start systems. I believe that the Canadian dealers do offer something, but I have no info on it.
Some Lexus dealers do offer a remote start system, but it is actually one of the aftermarket systems I mentioned above that they either install or have a contractor install for them. Ask to see the system or remotes to verify.

"If I install a Compustar system will I need a bypass module? I'm guessing I'll also need to carry 2 keyfobs since I'll need the original to drive the car? And I've heard the car will turn off if the doors open, is this true?"

The Compustar system mentioned above is a "all in one" or "combo unit" that has the bypass function integrated into the one piece module, so no external bypass module is needed.
With the Compustar system it includes the ability to remote start the RX with just the Factory FOB and three lock commands in a row ( 3X Lock within 5 seconds ). That would allow remote start control without carrying the extra Compustar remote. However, the control range would be limited to whatever the Factory FOB was capable of, not the 3,000 foot range of the Compustar remotes.
You would still have the ability to use the smart phone App to perform any functions needed if you were carrying your phone.
Yes, the RX remote started engine will shutdown as soon as any door is opened. Apparently there is no way for the aftermarket systems to get around this Lexus/Toyota designed system requirement.

Old 05-16-22, 04:50 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by teknoprep
Two sets of questions:
  • Do Lexus dealers offer to install a factory remote start that will work with my original keyfob? If so, do you know the estimate cost?
Canadian dealers do offer an OEM remote start, cost is around CA$500 don't know if labour is included, but apparently everything is pre-wired so very easy to do.
Old 06-28-22, 08:04 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Anyone tried the MPC remote start? Thinking of getting that for my RX, it's half the price of the 12volt one.
I have the MPC one installed and i'm very happy with it. Cheaper than the 12volt one and does the same thing. I just extended the cellular module for 3 more years for $99.
Old 06-29-22, 09:30 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zexen
I have the MPC one installed and i'm very happy with it. Cheaper than the 12volt one and does the same thing. I just extended the cellular module for 3 more years for $99.
Where is the cellular module purchased? I checked on their website and on amazon and I couldn't find anything about it.
Old 06-29-22, 09:35 AM
Meeninta
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AkiD
The added benefit is that you can buy the phone app/hardware off Amazon for $200. Install that module and you GET THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY ON YOUR PHONE AS THE ENFORM PHONE APP. There is an annual fee but the first year is free. After that, it's (currently $29 a year). This
module and app will give you GPS location, door lock/unlock commands, remote start etc.
Where can I find this module? What is it called?
Old 11-12-22, 09:15 AM
cybertruck
4th Gear

Default Anyone using Drone mobile for remote start on rx330 2016 model

Please let me know minimal config required to remote start using mobile and track lock/unlock status of car

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start options