RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Replacing the rear console 12V power adapter for dual USB power adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 01:23 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Replacing the rear console 12V power adapter for dual USB power adapter

I replaced the rear console 12V power adapter with a dual USB power adapter. The process was fairly simple and straightforward.
  1. Move the seats forward then remove the rear cover of the console. It has six clips, three on each side: bottom, next to cubby, and next to vents. Start with the bottom and work your way to the top. I inserted a plastic spudger or flat blade at the bottom seam to help separate so I could pull the bottom with my hands.

2. Disconnect wire harness from cover. There are two cables, the blue one powers the 12V power adapter and a white one that seems to be the wire harness for the heated rear seats.

3. Remove the 12V power adapter by using a plastic spider to pull the two black tabs on each side.
  4. Remove the socket by pressing on the two tabs on the side.

5. I used a dremel tool to shave little of the USB adapter since it was slightly bigger than the hole. Used this Cllena Dual USB charger socket that offer two ports with 2.1A. It is sold with red, blue, and green lighted sockets and a plastic cover.
  6. Placed the adapter and screwed the ring tight to hold it in place.

7. I cut the cables and crimp the adapters into them. I made sure to find out the positive supply with voltmeter. In my case it was the gray cable. Then connected and placed the white adapter into its holder.
  8. Then place the cover back on, starting from the top. Make sure the bottom guides are properly aligned with the sides and push all the clips back in.

Note the manual states that the console total power is 120W. This includes the rear console and inside the console box Apparently the USB ports are on a separate circuit. With 5V at 2.1A = 10.2W per outlet, you can place a low profile dual adapter inside the console box and still have four USB charging accessories consuming under 45W (there are losses on these adapters stepping down from 12V).
Old 12-03-16, 01:50 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow.. lot of messing around.

I'd just use a plug-in flush fit adapter.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal...oAAOSwYIxX-35s
Old 12-03-16, 06:17 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Plus you probably voided your warranty for anything related to electrical system if they see that.
Old 12-03-16, 07:22 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Plus you probably voided your warranty for anything related to electrical system if they see that.
Fair enough, but that's the equivalent of inserting a USB power adapter into the socket and leaving it there. I already had one of the kids unwittingly kick and brake an adapter that was sticking out in that socket. That could have caused a short and burn the fuse, had I not immediately turn off the car and carefully extracted all the pieces of the broken adapter out of the socket.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 12-03-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 07:12 AM
Gibster
Driver

Thumbs up

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-05-16, 11:24 AM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job but you could have saved yourself the hassle by getting the below. It fits flush and on my old car, the cover would even snap back on.

https://www.amazon.com/Aukey-CC-S1-4...ighter+adapter
Old 12-05-16, 01:14 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by integroid
Nice job but you could have saved yourself the hassle by getting the below. It fits flush and on my old car, the cover would even snap back on.

Nice find, I will use that in the center console box! The low profile scosche one sticks a little out of the power adapter, but much less than the previous one that the kids broke.
The instrument panel and rear console covers are like a little **** that inserts into an empty power slot. The kids kept knocking that piece off when there was nothing in the adapter. I do not think I can have an adapter and still cover it. However, the center console has a swivel cover that might work with the Aukey adapter.
Old 12-05-16, 02:05 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Originally Posted by integroid

Pure GOLD find!! perfect!

Damn shame Amazon dont ship to Australia... hopeless!
Old 12-06-16, 11:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter64
Pure GOLD find!! perfect!

Damn shame Amazon dont ship to Australia... hopeless!
Due to the shape of the plug, there is no way a cigarette plug adapter can hide under the plug.

You're better off getting one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-.../dp/B00OHE8AOI

I have several "24W" plugs but they do not put out 2x2.4A simultaneously as claimed.
Old 12-07-16, 03:29 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

I bought two of the Aukey's USB adapters referenced by integroid. Received them today and they fit perfectly flush. Great find!!
The following users liked this post:
integroid (12-08-16)