RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 12:32 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I posted about my experience with the heated steering wheels HERE.

My 2015 GS350 F-Sport got hot and toasty and was amazing. My 2017 RX350 F-Sport is terrible, I barely feel the heat. I have to squeeze the heated grips quite forcefully to get any benefit from it. I am assuming they did not put as many heating elements in the RX steering wheel as they did in earlier models. Here are some pictures I took of the heating element when I ripped apart my GS steering wheel: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10287808
I had an epiphany! I think that perhaps the heated steering wheel temp is somehow connected with the overall temperature control and not an independent setting like in many other vehicles, so if one raises the temp one should also see a rise in the steering wheel temp as well. Not cold enough yet to test it but will in the not too distant future.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (10-31-20)
Old 11-01-20, 06:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I had an epiphany! I think that perhaps the heated steering wheel temp is somehow connected with the overall temperature control and not an independent setting like in many other vehicles, so if one raises the temp one should also see a rise in the steering wheel temp as well. Not cold enough yet to test it but will in the not too distant future.
I don't think so. Our RX has only one setting - on or off, unlike our ES which has AUTO, 1 and 2.
Old 11-01-20, 07:08 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I don't think so. Our RX has only one setting - on or off, unlike our ES which has AUTO, 1 and 2.
That's not what I meant. Once you turn on the heated steering wheel, the warmth degree may be affected by the temp setting in the car heater.
I remember reading something about the automated heated seats that sense at what power to turn them on, 1-2 or 3.
Old 11-01-20, 07:50 AM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That's not what I meant. Once you turn on the heated steering wheel, the warmth degree may be affected by the temp setting in the car heater.
I remember reading something about the automated heated seats that sense at what power to turn them on, 1-2 or 3.
The auto setting for heated seats def utilizes the outdoor temp. Pretty sure my heated steering wheel is always the same temp - have never noticed any meaningful difference and we've had fluctuating weather in Toronto lately.
Old 11-01-20, 07:56 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

That's why the heated/cooled seats have an AUTO function, but the heated steering wheel doesn't. With the Climate Concierge system - if you have the climate control system in AUTO and the heated/cooled seats in the AUTO setting, the system can turn the heated steering wheel on or off depending on the climate control settings and outside temperature. Here's a video:

My theory is because there's no AUTO setting on the 4RX's heated steering wheel, there's only one heating temperature because you wouldn't need an AUTO setting to moderate how warm the steering wheel gets.

I could be wrong and there might be a hidden function in the RX's heated steering wheel that gives it multiple heating levels, but I don't know why Lexus would hide it and not give us a toggle switch similar to the new ES.
jollick (11-01-20)
Old 11-01-20, 08:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The seats have multiple settings including AUTO. The steering wheel has ON or OFF.
Old 11-01-20, 08:51 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The seats have multiple settings including AUTO. The steering wheel has ON or OFF.
Yes but it determines the degrees of heat by the temp setting in auto, you can override it manually, so I'm thinking that the heated wheel may operate in the same way.
Will have to test it when the weather is colder
Old 11-01-20, 09:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yes but it determines the degrees of heat by the temp setting in auto, you can override it manually, so I'm thinking that the heated wheel may operate in the same way.
Will have to test it when the weather is colder
Doubt it - if that was the case, they would have added the AUTO setting like they did in the 7th gen ES.
Old 12-05-20, 06:16 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

everytime i have to press heater steering wheel button. how can I make it automatic?
the seat heater is automatic but not steering wheel
Old 12-06-20, 06:26 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 242 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4rx
everytime i have to press heater steering wheel button. how can I make it automatic?
the seat heater is automatic but not steering wheel
Unfortunately, this is not available on the RX right now. Auto seats are, not the steering wheel. You need to turn it on manually. However, it does have a timer and will turn off after a fixed time (not sure what that is, check the manual).
Old 12-06-20, 07:01 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 591 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Unfortunately, this is not available on the RX right now. Auto seats are, not the steering wheel. You need to turn it on manually. However, it does have a timer and will turn off after a fixed time (not sure what that is, check the manual).
Agreed! The current RX doesn't have Auto steering wheel heater and even when it turns on it gets barely warm.

The ES now has auto steering wheel heater and actually gets hot and changes temperature according to heater settings, inside and outside temperatures. That's nice!

My guess is they will add this to 5RX... At least i hope..
Old 12-06-20, 10:01 AM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

yea its kind of bad the heat is for half of the steering wheel and on top of that you have to press the button everytime
Old 12-06-20, 12:19 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Personally, I don't want a hot steering wheel. Warm is good.
jollick (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 12:48 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by dibl
Personally, I don't want a hot steering wheel. Warm is good.
I was happy with my MB heated wheel, but on my RX350 it's barely lukewarm
Old 12-06-20, 01:13 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

I was happy with my MB heated wheel, but on my RX350 it's barely lukewarm
The RX wheel gets warm enough for me. Heating the top half of the wheel would be good, instead of just the leather sections at 9 and 3, but that's the trade-off for a wood wheel, at least in my experience. I do find it funny that the wheel heat button isn't actually on the wheel. Hidden beside the panoramic view button, both of which are viewed at a very shallow angle, is a much more friendly location.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm