RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 07:21 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I turn on the heating of the wheel and use the dash board vents aimed at my hands to blow hot air and reheat them, and then switch to the windshield and feet when warm enough and continue with the wheel heating if needed.

Last edited by PeeVee; 01-29-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 11:19 AM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts
Default About Those Heated Seats

We've had heated seats in every new car we have owned or leased since 2005 when I leased a Mercury Mountaineer Premier (at a ridiculously low lease rate, BTW). Where we live (the Northeast), heated seats have become one of those things we wonder how we got along without - especially since my daily driver is not garaged..

Prior to buying an RX, our experience was that it always took awhile (at least 5-10 minutes after startup) for the heated seats to warm up to the point where we could sense the warmth. The "bun warmers" in our two RXs are amazing. Within two minutes, those seats are heating up to a very comfortable temperature. As a result, I don't feel the need to remote start my Lexus on a cold day. In fact, I find myself turning down the heat level on the driver's seat long before the heater warms the cabin.

Well done, Lexus!
Old 01-29-21, 11:27 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Who will be the first to complain the RX has no air conditioned steering wheel
I have yet to see an air conditioned steering wheel! However, here in TX, it gets way over 100 degrees & the inside of the car is easily 150 degrees! Even with a sunshade & tinted windows, that damn wood steering wheel would scorch my hands. I switched my wood wheel with an all leather covered wheel, so hopefully, I can at least drive safely this summer, without burning the crap out of my hands. The leather also doesn’t transmit the cold like that stupid wood wheel did. Even the Camaro leather steering wheel is toasty all the way around!
Old 01-29-21, 03:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I have yet to see an air conditioned steering wheel! However, here in TX, it gets way over 100 degrees & the inside of the car is easily 150 degrees! Even with a sunshade & tinted windows, that damn wood steering wheel would scorch my hands. I switched my wood wheel with an all leather covered wheel, so hopefully, I can at least drive safely this summer, without burning the crap out of my hands. The leather also doesn’t transmit the cold like that stupid wood wheel did. Even the Camaro leather steering wheel is toasty all the way around!
I was sort of joking about the air conditioned steering wheel but who knows. I agree with you, not a fan of wood on a steering wheel nor in any part of the interior. One of the reasons I opted for my ES in FSport trim which has a thick full leather wheel that actually getss toasty hot much more so than our RX.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (01-29-21)
Old 03-11-21, 06:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Heating Seats RX 350

Could not find the old thread to add to so I started a new one.
Many of us have complained that our seats do not heat enough, myself included, so yesterday I went to have my vehicle gone over before the warranty expires and they found that the seats heating AMPLIFIER was not working as intended, they replaced both of them under warranty. Have not had a chance to test them yet but I put it here so that anyone with this problem can have it checked and corrected.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cocal:
exonw (03-13-21), gadgetman1 (12-19-21)
Old 04-11-21, 09:25 AM
MrKirby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Winter Heated seat Issue

We had an 2011 rx-350 non hybrid and the heated seats worked amazing.

Our 2007!!! Es-350 heated seats work great too.

our 2018 Hybrid 2018 Rx-450HL
BRUTAL. Heated seats don’t heat well.

Anyone have the same issue. Wife’s butt never warms up too work. It also doesn’t matter how long the car is running for too.

On the way home seats are (warmer than early morning). Seat works just ok. Never consistently well.

Anyone else?

Last edited by MrKirby; 04-11-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 10:30 AM
Cocal
Racer

Default Update

Originally Posted by Cocal
Could not find the old thread to add to so I started a new one.
Many of us have complained that our seats do not heat enough, myself included, so yesterday I went to have my vehicle gone over before the warranty expires and they found that the seats heating AMPLIFIER was not working as intended, they replaced both of them under warranty. Have not had a chance to test them yet but I put it here so that anyone with this problem can have it checked and corrected.
The amplifier change DID make a difference!
Can't fry eggs on them , but they are warmer!
MrKirby (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 12:38 PM
MrKirby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
The amplifier change DID make a difference!
Can't fry eggs on them , but they are warmer!

Thank you. I will do the same.
Old 12-19-21, 09:02 PM
happychris
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just brought home a 2022 RX 350 and noticed that the heated steering wheel does not heat the entire steering wheel. It is only at 9 and 3 is where the heat comes on. Is this normal??? The top part of the steering wheel 12 and 6 does not get warm, at all it is cool.
Old 12-20-21, 02:32 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I too just bought a '22 RX and notice the same about the steering wheel.

As for the seats, I have the Cold Weather Package. I'm not sure if this includes a special heater for the seats, but this morning (below freezing) my seat was noticeably hot within 2 mins.
Old 12-20-21, 03:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Lexus, like some other manufacturers, only heats the leather-covered portion of the steering wheel. Heating the wooden portion is problematic, as wood does not transfer heat very well. My wife's Honda Pilot has an all-leather wheel and is fully heated. The Buick Enclave she drove previously had a partially wooden wheel, and only the leather portion was heated. It was far down on the list, but one of the reasons I bought a new 2020 over a used 2019 was the matte finish on the 2020 wood wheel. I thought it would feel less cold than the polished wood on prior gen 4s.

Maybe an F Sport driver can comment in this thread, since the F Sport has an all-leather wheel. My guess is that it is fully heated (unless Lexus cheaped-out and reused the heating subsystem from the non-F Sports.)

Actually, a wood steering wheel will conduct heat. I had a Ram Laramie Longhorn & that wood & leather wheel got plenty warm. Our Camaro leather wheel gets nice & toasty. The Lexus wood wheel in the summer would burn my hands, it got so hot from the SW sun. I had to swap out that silly wood wheel for a leather wheel, so I could safely drive it in the summer months. Toyota engineers have their head up their butts on a lot of these features & they refuse to change anything.
Old 12-20-21, 04:01 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes 9 & 3 are normal and I hate it coming from a car that had the entire steering wheel heated 10 years earlier…. Heated seats are weird but here is the answer if they are not heating or cooling properly. Check to make sure they are not set on Auto Mode. If they are they will heat according to the outside temp and your heater temp setting in the car…. Hope this helps.

Lexus will not over heat a seat. They are safety oriented. The other reason why they heat the 9 & 3 positions is to help keep your hands in the proper driving position. I don’t buy that though. What about summer driving… I think they were too cheap to make the entire wheel heated.
gadgetman1 (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 05:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Yes 9 & 3 are normal and I hate it coming from a car that had the entire steering wheel heated 10 years earlier…. Heated seats are weird but here is the answer if they are not heating or cooling properly. Check to make sure they are not set on Auto Mode. If they are they will heat according to the outside temp and your heater temp setting in the car…. Hope this helps.
Lexus will not over heat a seat. They are safety oriented. The other reason why they heat the 9 & 3 positions is to help keep your hands in the proper driving position. I don’t buy that though. What about summer driving… I think they were too cheap to make the entire wheel heated.
Lexus seats are common complaint, mine were lukewarm especially compared to my MB E350, but on a regular inspection my dealer said that the seat amplifier or some such was not working properly and changed them on both front seats not sure about the back. This made a huge difference and I run mine in auto mode. No cure for the steering wheel, alas. Don't know if there was a bad batch of these "amplifiers" but it's worth for Happychris to ask the dealer if the seat heaters are working fine.
Old 12-20-21, 05:39 AM
MrKirby
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Fixed this under warrenty

Update December 18th 2021.
Regarding the RX-450 HL (hybrid)
I took my Suv in to get a gas warrenty issue fixed and Lexus noticed an note about the heated seats.
This is the 3rd Lexus dealer I took it to about this.
This notice is new and it took them 5 hours and a separate visit but they fixed the seats.
Now according to my wife. The seats weren’t burning hot like the 2021 hybrid ux and es (as we tested in separate loaner vehicle trial runs)
However since the fix there is significantly more heat than prior to the fix.
All vehicles were hybrid models. Just the 2018 they under powered the heated seats.

There is an internal setting under maintenance that allows me to increase the heat temp with. Since this just happened last week I am yet to max that setting out to get that seat to Toasty buns.
However my wife is pleased with the difference from the fix.
Happy Spouse Happy house.
Old 12-20-21, 06:01 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by MrKirby
Update December 18th 2021.
Regarding the RX-450 HL (hybrid)
Just the 2018 they under powered the heated seats.

There is an internal setting under maintenance that allows me to increase the heat temp with. Since this just happened last week I am yet to max that setting out to get that seat to Toasty buns.
However my wife is pleased with the difference from the fix.
Happy Spouse Happy house.
Not only the 2018 had under-performing heated seats, mine is a 2017 and was failing miserably in that dept.
The internal setting, alas, doesn't achieve what we want, at Max setting it keeps the seat heater on for longer. The ONLY way is to have the dealer change the heaters, in my case THAT made a huge difference.

Last edited by Cocal; 12-20-21 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm