RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 06:01 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to know about this fix. I’ll check next time I’m scheduled in for a service. 5 years later and they still are unable to fix my 6-5 downshift issue where 80% of the time when I slow down or brake the gear change from 6 to 5 slams the gears when I’m in sport mode. Also they haven’t been able to resolve my torque steer. Our old 2011 awd ltd sienna’s awd system was far superior than my rx’s.
Old 12-20-21, 07:59 AM
FLM99
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Good to know about this fix. I’ll check next time I’m scheduled in for a service. 5 years later and they still are unable to fix my 6-5 downshift issue where 80% of the time when I slow down or brake the gear change from 6 to 5 slams the gears when I’m in sport mode. Also they haven’t been able to resolve my torque steer. Our old 2011 awd ltd sienna’s awd system was far superior than my rx’s.
Surprising that you experience 'torque steer' considering the pitiful torque characteristics of Lexus engines/transmissions. We've had several RX300/350's over 20 years (wife likes them) and none could pull the skin off a cooked turkey without flooring the throttle - sometimes not even then. Annoying transmission logic and vibration in recent models, too. Fortunately, we've also had a few Audi A6's (V6) that have an abundance of torque, with NVH and drivability characteristics that far exceed the Lexus. And, surprisingly, quality and service have been exceptional.
Old 12-20-21, 08:08 AM
happychris
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Yes 9 & 3 are normal and I hate it coming from a car that had the entire steering wheel heated 10 years earlier…. Heated seats are weird but here is the answer if they are not heating or cooling properly. Check to make sure they are not set on Auto Mode. If they are they will heat according to the outside temp and your heater temp setting in the car…. Hope this helps.

Lexus will not over heat a seat. They are safety oriented. The other reason why they heat the 9 & 3 positions is to help keep your hands in the proper driving position. I don’t buy that though. What about summer driving… I think they were too cheap to make the entire wheel heated.
I have an all leather steering wheel no wood.. I came from a BMW and the entire wheel was heated. They should only charge half the price if half the steering wheel is only heated. I think was a waste of money. I drive with my hands all over the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 09:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by happychris
I just brought home a 2022 RX 350 and noticed that the heated steering wheel does not heat the entire steering wheel. It is only at 9 and 3 is where the heat comes on. Is this normal??? The top part of the steering wheel 12 and 6 does not get warm, at all it is cool.
It is normal for this generation RX. In the current generation ES they moved to a new wheel and the entire wheel is now heated. I would “expect” them to apply the same improvement to the next Gen RX. As for the seats, I haven’t paid that much attention to them, but they get warm and take the chill off which is all I need or expect. This is one of those features that will carry different expectations - certainly dependent on weather conditions where the vehicle is being driven.
Old 12-20-21, 09:55 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

My 2016 450h has heated seats & I think they are just right for the climate where I live, where it is cool at night & early morning. Perhaps they would not perform well in a very cold climate, as I have never driven it anywhere like that. I was not aware of them being connected to the outside temperature when in auto mode, but it makes complete sense - thanks for that tidbit of info!
Old 12-20-21, 09:58 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKirby
Update December 18th 2021.
Regarding the RX-450 HL (hybrid)
I took my Suv in to get a gas warrenty issue fixed and Lexus noticed an note about the heated seats.
This is the 3rd Lexus dealer I took it to about this.
This notice is new and it took them 5 hours and a separate visit but they fixed the seats.
Now according to my wife. The seats weren’t burning hot like the 2021 hybrid ux and es (as we tested in separate loaner vehicle trial runs)
However since the fix there is significantly more heat than prior to the fix.
All vehicles were hybrid models. Just the 2018 they under powered the heated seats.

There is an internal setting under maintenance that allows me to increase the heat temp with. Since this just happened last week I am yet to max that setting out to get that seat to Toasty buns.
However my wife is pleased with the difference from the fix.
Happy Spouse Happy house.
I’m curious if the device “Carly”, that plugs into the car’s port, can change any of these settings. Does anyone know or has anyone purchased this device for their RX?
Old 12-20-21, 10:00 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah. There are 3 levels of heating and cooling. The lights will go up and or down based upon the inside and outside temp when they are set to auto.
Old 01-06-22, 11:37 AM
Onisciente
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get the A/C amp replaced!

+1 on replacing the A/C amplifier unit. My dealer just diagnosed this on our '18 RX350; apparently this is a known cause of poor seat heating.

I was not able to find the relevant TSB, and they did not cite the TSB number. It must be new(-ish).

I will try and report back once the amp has been swapped.
Old 01-06-22, 03:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by happychris
I have an all leather steering wheel no wood.. I came from a BMW and the entire wheel was heated. They should only charge half the price if half the steering wheel is only heated. I think was a waste of money. I drive with my hands all over the wheel.
We just bought a 2022 with an all leather wheel and I too am bothered by that. It’s my wife’s vehicle, and she is not as picky as I am. Fortunately my Genesis is fully heated.
Old 01-06-22, 04:17 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Onisciente
+1 on replacing the A/C amplifier unit. My dealer just diagnosed this on our '18 RX350; apparently this is a known cause of poor seat heating.
I was not able to find the relevant TSB, and they did not cite the TSB number. It must be new(-ish).
I will try and report back once the amp has been swapped.
Mine was swapped in 2019 and it will make a heck of a difference, believe me!
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 06:08 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Mine was swapped in 2019 and it will make a heck of a difference, believe me!
you had the seat heaters changed, or you had the A/C amplifier changed ??

"Not only the 2018 had under-performing heated seats, mine is a 2017 and was failing miserably in that dept.

The internal setting, alas, doesn't achieve what we want, at Max setting it keeps the seat heater on for longer. The ONLY way is to have the dealer change the heaters, in my case THAT made a huge difference."
Old 01-07-22, 06:30 AM
Cocal
Racer

[QUOTE=JSracer;11198420]you had the seat heaters changed, or you had the A/C amplifier changed ??

The amplifier only.
Old 01-07-22, 12:30 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the clarification.
shoot, sounds like I should have had that replaced under warranty. Factory expired a few weeks back. Debating the Dealers extended house brand one. But that's another topic
Old 01-07-22, 01:42 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by JSracer
Thanks for the clarification.
shoot, sounds like I should have had that replaced under warranty. Factory expired a few weeks back. Debating the Dealers extended house brand one. But that's another topic
You ought to be good anyway as it wasn't done at my behest, but the dealer did it as I think they received a service bulletin from Lexus.
Worth a shot!
Old 01-13-22, 06:48 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

What is this heated seat "Amplifier" you are all talking about? How would it amplify heat or wattage? Or is it actually an actuator?

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm