RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 01:52 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed it with a loaner I had. It was much hotter than mine and the cabin temp was set to 80. As soon as I lowered it I saw the seat light go immediately from 3 lights to 2 lights and it started cooling down. When I got mine back I tried some cabin temp settings and sure enough when the seats were in auto mode the temp would scale up or down based upon my cabin temp setting. Hell the dealership didn’t even know. Doesn’t surprise me though. I’ve found out stuff about it’s global platform that people even at Lexus HQ don’t know about. Sad very sad 😞...
Old 12-10-18, 05:37 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
. For me there is way too much technology1 What they don't trust me to run my own settings?

When it gets really cold I'll try changing the temp and see if it gets warmer.
You can just take full manual control, like most cars. First push of the button is Auto but then second thru fifth gets you high, then medium, low, and off.
Old 12-10-18, 06:57 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
Maybe I have sensitive hands but my heated steering wheel gets really warm. I can feel them through my gloves and I have to take them off because my hands start to sweat. But I do wish the whole steering wheel was heated instead of just the sides.
Or maybe you just got very lucky with a well functional heating element in the steering wheel. I use to enjoy thawing out after cleaning snow off my car. Now I need to make sure I have gloves with me.
Old 12-10-18, 07:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
I noticed it with a loaner I had. It was much hotter than mine and the cabin temp was set to 80. As soon as I lowered it I saw the seat light go immediately from 3 lights to 2 lights and it started cooling down. When I got mine back I tried some cabin temp settings and sure enough when the seats were in auto mode the temp would scale up or down based upon my cabin temp setting. Hell the dealership didn’t even know. Doesn’t surprise me though. I’ve found out stuff about it’s global platform that people even at Lexus HQ don’t know about. Sad very sad ��...

Mine isn't warm enough even with all the 3 dots on, I fear that it is as I discovered you can only adjust the length of time the seats are at MAX, maybe your loaner was a later manufactured unit where they may have solved the problem, I will try your suggestion though and see what will happen.
Old 12-10-18, 02:10 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 262 Posts

My 2017 RX350 F sport heated steering wheel is an embarrassment. It barely gets warm. My '15 GS350 is so much warmer and actually feel like it's a feature.
I'm happy with the heated seats on both.
Old 12-10-18, 04:03 PM
Cocal
Racer

I noticed it with a loaner I had. It was much hotter than mine and the cabin temp was set to 80. As soon as I lowered it I saw the seat light go immediately from 3 lights to 2 lights and it started cooling down. When I got mine back I tried some cabin temp settings and sure enough when the seats were in auto mode the temp would scale up or down based upon my cabin temp setting. Hell the dealership didn’t even know. Doesn’t surprise me though. I’ve found out stuff about it’s global platform that people even at Lexus HQ don’t know about. Sad very sad 😞...
I followed your suggestion of raising the temp, but it came out as I suspected: longer time at the MAX level, but no increase in temperature whatsoever!
This is definitely something Lexus ought to address.
Old 12-11-18, 02:26 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Press your menu button and go to settings. It’s somewhere under vehicle or climate settings that there is a place to dial up or down the default heated seat temp. It’s a set and forget thing not a daily setting thing unless you want it to be. It’s more of a min-max setting for the heated seats to cater to individual tastes. I still miss my bimmer X5. It had it all, but got tired of being a captive audience to svc bay and putting other people’s kids through college instead of mine. The seats did heat better, they were 22 way adjustable and I had heated wiper jets and their steering wheel had heat all the way around vs 3 & 9 like on my RX. I can belly ache all day long. I just wish Lexus would look at these forums and just fix the stuff!
Old 12-11-18, 08:52 AM
Cocal
Racer

Press your menu button and go to settings. It’s somewhere under vehicle or climate settings that there is a place to dial up or down the default heated seat temp. It’s a set and forget thing not a daily setting thing unless you want it to be. It’s more of a min-max setting for the heated seats to cater to individual tastes. I still miss my bimmer X5. It had it all, but got tired of being a captive audience to svc bay and putting other people’s kids through college instead of mine. The seats did heat better, they were 22 way adjustable and I had heated wiper jets and their steering wheel had heat all the way around vs 3 & 9 like on my RX. I can belly ache all day long. I just wish Lexus would look at these forums and just fix the stuff!
Yes done that last year, the min/max DOES NOT refer to temperature, but only how long it will stay at Max. great frustration! I wish I had the same efficiency I had in my E350, that car's system operated beautifully.
Old 02-06-19, 12:59 PM
DanaMcrsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated seats 2017 vs 2016

Am long time Lexus owner. Currently have a 2016 and 2017 RX350. Identical. The 2017 RX350 heated seats do not get hot, merely lukewarm/no chill. Dealer states this is due to new design and cannot be fixed. The 2016 seats are like my other five Lexus vehicles - hot - Other owners? I am not getting another Lexus if this is legit.
Old 02-06-19, 01:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaMcrsh
Am long time Lexus owner. Currently have a 2016 and 2017 RX350. Identical. The 2017 RX350 heated seats do not get hot, merely lukewarm/no chill. Dealer states this is due to new design and cannot be fixed. The 2016 seats are like my other five Lexus vehicles - hot - Other owners? I am not getting another Lexus if this is legit.
The ones in our 2017 RX get comfortably warm - the ones in our 2019 ES get TOO hot even on low. They changed something again for sure but not sure for the better.
Old 02-06-19, 01:11 PM
DanaMcrsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mike. did you have one before to compare to? i cant compare to 2019. i will say that i have also had and of course ridden in non lexus vehicles and all but my 2017 are the same warmth. the 2017 not even taking the chill off in new england.
Old 02-06-19, 03:25 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't tested other rx350s but I do wanna day they are warmer than my 07 is250 I had
Old 02-06-19, 04:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaMcrsh
thanks mike. did you have one before to compare to? i cant compare to 2019. i will say that i have also had and of course ridden in non lexus vehicles and all but my 2017 are the same warmth. the 2017 not even taking the chill off in new england.
Similar weather in northern NJ. The RX is not my daily driver but when I do drive it, I end up turning the heated seats down to 1 or off completely even in single digit temps. Maybe because im not a big fan of heated seats.
Old 02-07-19, 02:36 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a '19, and they seem to get warm enough that we turn them down, or completely off after about 10 minutes of use. For us, they seem to do the job just fine. Granted it's not overly cold here and the vehicle is garage kept other than when at work. The only vehicle I can compare them to in the Lexus line is our '15 NX that we just traded for the RX. The RX seats definately get warmer than the outgoing NX did.

However, neither compare to the seats in my new '18 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon. Those get downright HOT by comparison. Suppose they need to since the roof is merely a canvas sheet, lol.
Old 02-07-19, 08:51 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

My 17 seats get plenty warm, definitely more than lukewarm. Is there another dealer you can go to and get a second opinion?

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm