RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Triple Beam LED's Manual Height Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16 | 08:11 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Default Triple Beam LED's Manual Height Adjustment

I thought I'd make a dedicated topic to the light output for the triple beam's. I love my triple beam lights however I felt that the light output fell a little short while driving. I heard you could manually adjust the Bi-Led's to raise the light output a little higher so it would reach further on the road.

Also, the IHS safety tests done showed that the BI-LED's actually had a little glare but the Triple LED's had zero. So, raising the triple LED's a little wouldn't do any harm and perhaps cause a little bit of glare.

The process is super easy. I thought I'd need a screw driver, I actually did not. However, I do have fairly strong fingers.

What in the name of UD RD L R?! Lol It's actually not that difficult. The screw driver hole is actually not in any of these holes.

Here's what the headlights look like with the cover removed. IF you look behind it, you will see a plastic tunnel with a brass cog. The plastic tunnel is where the screw driver inserts and the phillips head is where the cog sits and helps you turn. Turn it counter clockwise to raise the LED's. I know with the Bi-leds you have to raise it on the left and raise it on the right so it evens out. However I found that the triple's just raise up or down.

I actually used my fingers and proper body positioning to raise the Led's. I did about 10 turns. It really helps to put it on the wall, put some tape that way you can see the light output!

THere is the picture of the tunnel with the brass cog for raising/lowering the height.

Very straightforward and easy. I haven't had a chance to test them in the dark yet but it should be better. As far as the AUTO leveling, I found out that the set height will go up or down a few inches. So you can raise the height and that will be the new normal for it.
The following 5 users liked this post by aznkorboi:
chrisper (11-16-17), Curryolla (12-18-16), ericsan13 (12-19-16), nevRX450hF (11-23-17), xxx350L (11-18-19)
Old 12-18-16 | 09:23 AM
Curryolla
Driver

SWEET!!! Thanks for the post and write up. Looking forward to the results of this experiment!

I'll have to give this a try in a couple of days. And it is great to hear that the Auto-Leveling is not affected!
Old 12-18-16 | 07:04 PM
Darith
Driver

Here's a shot of the rear of adjustment cog of a left/driver side triple led headlight. I did notice another adjustment cog that's only accessible from the side(outer end) but I'm unsure what that one controls. I was thinking the high beams but does the original adjustment cog wheel adjust both high and low beams?

Old 12-19-16 | 09:31 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

The cog that shows does NOT affect the high beams. I believe it is the other cog that is hidden.

Also, make sure you are doing this on a flat surface and put your car in drive so it auto levels. I thought I only raised mine about 2 inches but this morning after it auto leveled, I was high beaming everyone with my low beams lol.

Just make sure to test it before you actually drive.
Old 12-19-16 | 04:00 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
The cog that shows does NOT affect the high beams. I believe it is the other cog that is hidden.

Also, make sure you are doing this on a flat surface and put your car in drive so it auto levels. I thought I only raised mine about 2 inches but this morning after it auto leveled, I was high beaming everyone with my low beams lol.

Just make sure to test it before you actually drive.
So, rather than the 10 turns you tried originally, about how many turns do you think are enough to raise the beams slightly?
Old 12-19-16 | 04:17 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
So, rather than the 10 turns you tried originally, about how many turns do you think are enough to raise the beams slightly?
Prob 3. If you have the light against the wall, you would see it raise. The first time I raised mine about 6 turns raising the light bar on the wall about an inch. This led to high beams city.

I feel like 3 turns is perfect.
The following users liked this post:
sderman (12-19-16)
Old 12-20-16 | 09:31 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Perfect. Did about three turns and now the lights shine out further. I raised the passenger side a little more and that helped alot. Not too much glare either.
Old 06-13-17 | 08:46 PM
sderman
Advanced

Perfect. Did about three turns and now the lights shine out further. I raised the passenger side a little more and that helped alot. Not too much glare either.
The iihs beam diagram (for the tri-LEDs) shows that low beam illumination is worse on the left side, with the right side almost where it should be. I have not adjusted my lights yet but it appears then that only the driver's side lamp needs to be raised slightly. But you mentioned you raised the passenger side a little bit more that the driver's side. As a result, do the low beams on the right side reach out further than the beams on the driver's side?
Old 06-13-17 | 08:50 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
The iihs beam diagram (for the tri-LEDs) shows that low beam illumination is worse on the left side, with the right side almost where it should be. I have not adjusted my lights yet but it appears then that only the driver's side lamp needs to be raised slightly. But you mentioned you raised the passenger side a little bit more that the driver's side. As a result, do the low beams on the right side reach out further than the beams on the driver's side?
That is correct! The headlights in the US are supposed to be higher on the passenger side as to not blind oncoming traffic. I can tell that there is more visibility on the left side but the beam edges help brighten up my driver side as well
The following users liked this post:
sderman (06-14-17)
Old 09-19-17 | 12:36 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Was this before or after getting lowered? If before, did you change the height again after lowering? Thanks.
Old 09-23-17 | 01:44 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Did this mod last night. It made a noticeable difference. I went 3 turns counterclockwise on the driver facing the engine and 1 turn on the passenger also facing the engine.

Thanks @aznkorboi
Old 10-01-17 | 07:54 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Compared to my F250, the throw still seems short so I may make more turns.
Old 10-02-17 | 06:52 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by elimmigran
Compared to my F250, the throw still seems short so I may make more turns.
I think I did 5. I also made my passenger side higher than the driver. This is what you're supposed to do anyways so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Just make sure you test it before you actually drive. I did way too many turns once and the auto level headlights adjusted them SUPER high so I was high beaming everyone. I felt so bad lol
Old 10-02-17 | 02:14 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

I think I did 5. I also made my passenger side higher than the driver. This is what you're supposed to do anyways so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Just make sure you test it before you actually drive. I did way too many turns once and the auto level headlights adjusted them SUPER high so I was high beaming everyone. I felt so bad lol
Counterclockwise facing the truck, right?

I'll try again.
Old 11-16-17 | 06:16 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

So I finally adjusted my triple beam headlights this week. Been playing around with the height for a couple days, trying to get that perfect height in an effort to maximize coverage without blinding anyone. I thought they were too high the first time around, then I adjusted them too low, then I went slightly higher. Hopefully, I'm good this time around. Another feature that I just started messing around with is the auto-high beam. Was wondering what you guys think of that feature. I'm not gonna lie - I initially had my doubts about how well it would work, but it actually works really well. Will need a couple more days of testing...

Quick Reply: Triple Beam LED's Manual Height Adjustment