RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 10:40 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

Exactly why I didn't want to pay extra for a Nav on my 2020. The only thing I miss from my 2016 Nav is the screen resolution is lower using carplay on the 2020.
Old 08-14-20, 12:24 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I (or to be exact, my wife) still have mixed feelings about navigation system in vehicles.

In general, we mostly use Waze/Google Map via Apple CarPlay. But when we travel to areas with no or limited cell coverage (Three Rivers, Lake Berryessa, ...), the in-car navigation system becomes the sole source.

So, my wife wants navigation system with all the vehicles we buy. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it than not have it.
Old 08-14-20, 12:39 PM
rx45oh
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pentaprism
I (or to be exact, my wife) still have mixed feelings about navigation system in vehicles.

In general, we mostly use Waze/Google Map via Apple CarPlay. But when we travel to areas with no or limited cell coverage (Three Rivers, Lake Berryessa, ...), the in-car navigation system becomes the sole source.

So, my wife wants navigation system with all the vehicles we buy. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it than not have it.
You can download google map offline running in Carplay, only down side you have to update offline map monthly. I also opt-out for navigation from my 2020.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (08-14-20)
Old 08-15-20, 06:58 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

In general most OEM navigation systems are bad but Lexus has the worst of the worst. According to car reviewers even Toyota has a better tech setup.

Lexus probably dumped millions of millions into developing this setup so now they will try to improve it with little tweaks here and there instead of admitting it was garbage to begin with cut there losses and start over.

When I first got the car I loved the navigation but quickly reverted back to using Waze on my iPhone. I had a loaner 2020 with CarPlay and it truly made me consider trading in my 2019. I prefer my 19’s screen placement which is to the far back opposed to the 20 since it has a touch screen it all the way to the front so I might try the Chinese integration device first.
Old 08-17-20, 10:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

The hit you'll take on resale/trade in later on may more than offset the initial cost of NAV. Of course, if you're keeping the car many years, it won't matter.
Old 08-17-20, 12:46 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
In general most OEM navigation systems are bad but Lexus has the worst of the worst. According to car reviewers even Toyota has a better tech setup.

Lexus probably dumped millions of millions into developing this setup so now they will try to improve it with little tweaks here and there instead of admitting it was garbage to begin with cut there losses and start over.
I find the 2020 nav to be remarkably good. I've been a dedicated Google Maps user for several years, and thought I'd use it just as consistently via AA when I got the RX. Not so. I almost never use AA, preferring the integrated nav. Occasionally I still fire up Maps on my phone to sanity check the Lexus nav, but with declining frequency.
mikemu30 (08-17-20)
Old 08-17-20, 06:51 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Back when I was 18 and I’d just joined the electrical Union I didn’t really know roads beyond what was local to me. The union had me traveling all over the state and this was pre Garmin or Tom Toms. This is when the night before you would have to print yahoo maps directions. I can’t tell you how many times I got lost when it would tell me to turn right on State Highway 508 or something like that but it’s really called Market Street. Back when I was a first level apprentice making 11.48 an hour best $550 I’ve ever spent was on a Garmin Nuvi 350!!!

Originally Posted by dibl
I'm a map person -- once I've seen where an address is on a map, I don't need the lady telling me which way to turn. However, in demonstrating the nav in my car to a friend one day, I learned that Google and Lexus do not always agree on the name of the road. Be careful if an address has a "Route" or a "State Route" or "Highway" or anything like that in it.
Old 08-17-20, 07:18 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My ‘20 Rx450 Nav is actually better than I expected compared to the nav in the Lexus I owned before. But I keep going back to Google maps via CarPlay b/c of how much better Google maps is. The Lexus Nav system is adequate.
Old 08-17-20, 07:26 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Admittedly, I used Lexus Nav more in the early days of owning this new Lexus, but over the last couple of months find myself not using the Lexus Nav as my primary means.

Originally Posted by mckdaddy
My ‘20 Rx450 Nav is actually better than I expected compared to the nav in the Lexus I owned before. But I keep going back to Google maps via CarPlay b/c of how much better Google maps is. The Lexus Nav system is adequate.
Old 08-18-20, 10:49 AM
thomasfx10
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not happy with the navigation on my 2020 F-Sport. I asked the service manager today if there's a way to update the navigation system because it's not showing a new major freeway that has been open for the last six months. He told me I could buy an upgrade for it in October when the new upgrades come out. First, I thought I get three years of automatic upgrades and second I thought that the new navigation system in 2020 update continuously not just once a year. Does anybody know how these maps get updated and how often? I don't think the service manager that I spoke with knows exactly what's going on. Thanks
Old 08-18-20, 11:44 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Back when I was 18 ... a first level apprentice making 11.48 an hour best $550 I’ve ever spent was on a Garmin Nuvi 350!!!
Ha ha ha -- too funny! FYI, once upon a time there was something called a "road map", printed on folded paper, that you could buy in any gas station for about $1.50. People used to use those to drive to an unfamiliar location. There was no such thing as a map on a screen, nor any directions that you could look up.

coolbrazz (08-18-20)
Old 08-18-20, 02:41 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Ha ha ha -- too funny! FYI, once upon a time there was something called a "road map", printed on folded paper, that you could buy in any gas station for about $1.50. People used to use those to drive to an unfamiliar location. There was no such thing as a map on a screen, nor any directions that you could look up.
I still carry maps to mine and neighboring states in the driver door storage area. My parents would have my brother and me navigate on trips using maps when we were kids, and I learned to love them. Now, 50 years later, I still drag them out sometimes, and did it on a drive this past weekend. There's no better way to get the big picture view of a trip. If they only showed real time traffic....
The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
coolbrazz (08-18-20), dibl (08-18-20)
Old 08-18-20, 05:16 PM
dibl
Instructor

Well, "zoom out" on the 12" nav map display is a usable substitute for a real map, in my F-Sport. What I actually find that is new and useful is the view of street and road names as you find your way through an unfamiliar urban or suburban area, when you are looking for a particular street.
coolbrazz (08-18-20)
Old 08-19-20, 06:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Hagstrom Or remember AAA triptiks?
gadgetman1 (04-08-21)
Old 08-19-20, 08:22 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Hagstrom Or remember AAA triptiks?
Yep, my late father in-law was "AAA all the way" with the triptiks.

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)