RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 07:05 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed the Pioneer NEX-4200 in my Jeep Wrangler. It supports Apple CARPLAY and that's mostly what I use in my Jeep for nav. It's not perfect because I'd also like Waze and Google Hangouts (don't use imessenger at all) and CARPLAY does not support those. But I can click on my phone while CARPLAY is connected and running and get immediate access to Waze, Hangouts and all my other phone apps through the phone. I would still buy the RX-450 again even without CARPLAY but many others will not. CARPLAY does not require the $$$$ subscription that ENFORM requires and it's becoming a required option for younger buyers, otherwise they will pass on the car. There's a good reason CARPLAY is desirable. It increases car sales, has no subscription fees, offers a much better real time nav experience and gives a lot of customers what they want and are now demanding in droves! Pretty much the same comments apply to Android. In fact the Android experience would offer me Google Maps and Hangouts and those types of features sell head units, phones and cars. I noticed that some of the new Honda models support CARPLAY and Android now so they are responding to customers reasonable demands.

Last edited by gregjhonda; 10-15-17 at 07:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gregjhonda:
Nail34 (10-15-17), RollingBlu (10-17-17)
Old 10-16-17, 06:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I would still buy the RX-450 again even without CARPLAY but many others will not. CARPLAY does not require the $$$$ subscription that ENFORM requires.
That is not correct. The Enform Destination Assist app is a part of the free Enform App Suite. And, as I said in an earlier post, it is an excellent complement to the in-car navigation system. Anyone who is not using it is missing out on something that significantly improves the usability of the navigation system with excellent voice recognition capability and an expanded and up-to-date data base.
Old 10-16-17, 07:19 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
I love the nav and the voice commands. TBH I know less how to use the car by menus than voice commands.
Anyways the menus are mostly grayed out when in movement, no choice to use the voice recognition. Which I love by the way!
Old 10-16-17, 08:52 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Anyways the menus are mostly grayed out when in movement, no choice to use the voice recognition. Which I love by the way!
That is not correct, either. While there are some items that are grayed out while the vehicle is in motion, you can use voice commands to search for and set destinations while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 10-17-17, 12:01 PM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I installed the Pioneer NEX-4200 in my Jeep Wrangler. It supports Apple CARPLAY and that's mostly what I use in my Jeep for nav. It's not perfect because I'd also like Waze and Google Hangouts (don't use imessenger at all) and CARPLAY does not support those. But I can click on my phone while CARPLAY is connected and running and get immediate access to Waze, Hangouts and all my other phone apps through the phone. I would still buy the RX-450 again even without CARPLAY but many others will not. CARPLAY does not require the $$$$ subscription that ENFORM requires and it's becoming a required option for younger buyers, otherwise they will pass on the car. There's a good reason CARPLAY is desirable. It increases car sales, has no subscription fees, offers a much better real time nav experience and gives a lot of customers what they want and are now demanding in droves! Pretty much the same comments apply to Android. In fact the Android experience would offer me Google Maps and Hangouts and those types of features sell head units, phones and cars. I noticed that some of the new Honda models support CARPLAY and Android now so they are responding to customers reasonable demands.
Agree completely. Lexus is missing the boat.

I had a 2015 Corvette on order when I learned that the 2016 model would be almost identical with the exception that it would support Android Auto. I cancelled the 2015 order and waited for the 2016s. The availability of Apple Carplay and Android Auto most definitely has an impact on buyer’s choices.
The following 2 users liked this post by RollingBlu:
Isley (10-20-17), Nail34 (10-17-17)
Old 01-10-18, 06:04 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by computerwi
The maps are probably way older than 6 months in the NAV. Not to mention, the map provider is usually way slower than, for example Google Maps. Be thankful you're in the US. In Canada, some roads open for 2+ years didn't make in my RX when we bought it. No plans to update the factory NAV, probably costs an arm and leg and will never be truly up to date anyway.
.......which is why I save thou$and$ by not bothering with a factory nav system and go to Costco and buy a Garmin.
Old 01-10-18, 01:54 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
.......which is why I save thou$and$ by not bothering with a factory nav system and go to Costco and buy a Garmin.
A Garmin would look great sitting in front of my NAV screen! Seriously though it is pretty cheap of Lexus to not allow online updates to such an important function!
Old 01-11-18, 07:33 AM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

We live in a world that more than 90% of car manufactures adopted Android Auto/Apple Car play.
Even Garmin cannot give you traffic info in city street level. (still it is far better than car navigation)
That is why many people use their smart phone for navigation in absence of Android Auto/Apple Car play.

The technology has evolved in navigation sector. using 2 years old map is not up to today's standard but this is what Lexus gives us with its navigation.

I am pretty sure most people get it because it doesn't look good to have luxury car without navigation not because it is useful.
Old 01-11-18, 08:39 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
We live in a world that more than 90% of car manufactures adopted Android Auto/Apple Car play.
Even Garmin cannot give you traffic info in city street level. (still it is far better than car navigation)
That is why many people use their smart phone for navigation in absence of Android Auto/Apple Car play.

The technology has evolved in navigation sector. using 2 years old map is not up to today's standard but this is what Lexus gives us with its navigation.

I am pretty sure most people get it because it doesn't look good to have luxury car without navigation not because it is useful.
So what is today's standard and who defines standard?
I use car navigation when I need to and I am very satisfied with it. Since I am not delivering packages and transporting passengers I do not need up to date information on new developments.
Old 01-11-18, 10:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Not to mention resale or trade in value. For those without the NAV see what happens when you're ready to ditch the car - you'll probably lose more than the original cost of the option.
Old 01-11-18, 10:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
I use car navigation when I need to and I am very satisfied with it. Since I am not delivering packages and transporting passengers I do not need up to date information on new developments.
The chances of having to navigate to a street that was recently added pretty slim.
Old 01-11-18, 11:35 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had one of the Beat-Sonic adapters installed in my young RX so that I can use Google Maps from my phone projected on the dash display. Replaced the lighter port in the center console with a combo HDMI/USB port. Using the built-in nav system became too frustrating, especially after being spoiled by using Google Maps.

It would be nice if Lexus…err…all vehicle manufacturers came with a connection and software to project the video and audio from the driver’s phone onto the dash screen. I would think that this would eliminate or reduce the manufacturer’s cost to develop and maintain the built-in nav system.

Cheers
Old 01-11-18, 12:33 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PaiMei
I just had one of the Beat-Sonic adapters installed in my young RX so that I can use Google Maps from my phone projected on the dash display. Replaced the lighter port in the center console with a combo HDMI/USB port. Using the built-in nav system became too frustrating, especially after being spoiled by using Google Maps.

It would be nice if Lexus…err…all vehicle manufacturers came with a connection and software to project the video and audio from the driver’s phone onto the dash screen. I would think that this would eliminate or reduce the manufacturer’s cost to develop and maintain the built-in nav system.

Cheers
any info you can share about your beat sonic setup?
looking at the bypass to have the passage enter info when moving , and looking at the full setup with screen mirroring.
when using the mirroring, all audio must be from your phone correct? Can't listen to say fm or a cd and see the phone screen on the car screen correct?

thanks much.

Last edited by JSracer; 01-11-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 01:06 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
If you compare standards with other OEMs, there's a big difference. Using Apple Car Play on my daily driving Honda Accord really showed me how slow and clunky the Lexus navigation UI is. Granted Apple Car Play isn't perfect and there's room for improvement, but I believe the future in automotive is ultimately making your mobile phone be the "brain/heart" of the car.
Old 01-11-18, 05:02 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this product looks promising. anyone here try this yet?

https://www.oecaraudio.com/product/a...erface-module/

Quick Reply: I am beginning to hate the Navigation in my 4RX (merged threads)