RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bi-Led Headlamps w/Adaptive Front Lighting System, HUD, Basic Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17 | 12:53 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I can say that ML audio is indeed superior than the stock audio. There is significant difference in audio quality and what people call "staging." The staging means that the sound is well positioned (coming from the front) for the driver and passengers. I have worked in audio design for many years and my ears tend to pick up things up that others do not. However, with this experience, I am not certain that the expense of the ML is worth it. ML does sound better, but it is worth $1K, not sure. As a designer, sometimes a few dollars extra in cost makes a huge difference, but many brand names charge more for the name than the quality of the system. A good example of that is Bose. ML tends to be much better in sound quality than Bose and other audio manufacturers. Nevertheless, I do like my music to sound good, so I opted for ML after doing some side to side comparisons with lossless classical, rock, pop, and latin music from my phone. Even the salesperson noted the difference and appreciated me pointing out a few small things that he did not noticed. I bet he is now pushing ML to other customers.

As far as triple beam, I like them, not only for good looks, but also for the broader and consistent light beam, the added LED side turn lights, and full LED in front and rear lights. I did have to adjust the headlamps up a little, and that improved the illumination down the road.
Old 01-22-17 | 01:21 PM
apex47
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
P.S. if you are buying from the lot, make sure you test drive the car and check for engine drone and excessive vibration when accelerating from a stop around 1,5000 RPM.
I've read up about this in other posts. Have you had this issue? Is more of an issue with 2016s or 2017s as well?
Old 01-22-17 | 01:42 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by apex47
I've read up about this in other posts. Have you had this issue? Is more of an issue with 2016s or 2017s as well?
I have not had any issues. I special ordered mine in 2016. I think it's just a random number of vehicles. So before you pick up your car and sign the papers, test drive the vehicle. That's what you should do regardless. Check the tires, check the rubber seals, check the engine, check for any dings, scratches, swirl marks, check the roof rails, etc. IF something is wrong, don't sign anything.
Old 01-22-17 | 06:47 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Hmm you might be stuck in sticky situation one my best friends has 2010 X5. I can't really compare the light spread, but 2 things you will definitely miss.

First the X5 has Adaptive Front Lights for beam and cornering lights. On the RX you can't get the first on Triple-Beam, and can't get the 2nd on the Xenons. kind of dumb. I think what you will notice is the headlight on Lexus SUVs seam to be angled down to not glare the oncoming cars. While on the X5 the lights are higher placed and less angled so you have longer beam. I think the quality of the triple and bi-xenon are the same in regards to color.

Lexus bi-xenons seem more reliably my friends 2010 X5 had 2 xenons replacements because the bulb started turning purple. My 2010 RX kept the same Xenon for all 6 years till I traded. I must say I love the X5 for its technology, space, and interior design esp the last gen. MMI is also light years ahead of Lexus infotainment in regards to customization, but Reliability was not impressive. I think back in 2010 the X5 and RX could not compare the X5 was a better car and I would consider a "luxury car" with the RX an upscale car it simply lacked the luxury content, and attention to detail to be luxury car. Hence why for 16 I was seriously considering a X5 or GLE. (But was sold back because of Lexus top notch customer service sales/service, and reliability and accountability for their products (unlike my Audi ownership experience cough).

I must say for the 16 and up RX is what I would consider a "luxury car" (but still at a upscale level car price ). You will find some cheap parts here and their, and areas that lack execution, but overall the 16 RX is $20k less than a 16 X5 when I cross shopped.

(I might of made up the whole beam intensity up, but thats my feeling from the 2 cars. Never did any statistical tests).
Old 01-23-17 | 05:21 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by satnav
Hmm you might be stuck in sticky situation one my best friends has 2010 X5. I can't really compare the light spread, but 2 things you will definitely miss.

First the X5 has Adaptive Front Lights for beam and cornering lights. On the RX you can't get the first on Triple-Beam, and can't get the 2nd on the Xenons. kind of dumb. I think what you will notice is the headlight on Lexus SUVs seam to be angled down to not glare the oncoming cars. While on the X5 the lights are higher placed and less angled so you have longer beam. I think the quality of the triple and bi-xenon are the same in regards to color.

Lexus bi-xenons seem more reliably my friends 2010 X5 had 2 xenons replacements because the bulb started turning purple. My 2010 RX kept the same Xenon for all 6 years till I traded. I must say I love the X5 for its technology, space, and interior design esp the last gen. MMI is also light years ahead of Lexus infotainment in regards to customization, but Reliability was not impressive. I think back in 2010 the X5 and RX could not compare the X5 was a better car and I would consider a "luxury car" with the RX an upscale car it simply lacked the luxury content, and attention to detail to be luxury car. Hence why for 16 I was seriously considering a X5 or GLE. (But was sold back because of Lexus top notch customer service sales/service, and reliability and accountability for their products (unlike my Audi ownership experience cough).

I must say for the 16 and up RX is what I would consider a "luxury car" (but still at a upscale level car price ). You will find some cheap parts here and their, and areas that lack execution, but overall the 16 RX is $20k less than a 16 X5 when I cross shopped.

(I might of made up the whole beam intensity up, but thats my feeling from the 2 cars. Never did any statistical tests).
I agree. Never been in a new BMW but yes there are parts that Lexus could have had a second thought. Also, they should be reworking on the issues they have now and perfect it instead of adding new features like pedestrian detection and actively moving the steering wheel.

As far as the lights, you can angle the beam higher and that helps alot.
Old 01-23-17 | 11:36 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by tjmc44
Of all your upgrades, which do you like the most since owning your RX? Triple beams, ML, pano cam, etc?
I have everything but the rear entertainment system. All-speed dynamic cruise control is my favorite and makes road trips much less tiring.

HUD - you don't need this unless you have a hybrid. Makes it much easier to determine how hard to brake to recover energy.
Triple beams - plenty bright and looks much better
ML - worth it. I went to a 2017 RX loaner with 12-speaker system and after extended listening my ears started to hurt. You probably wouldn't notice if you started from 12-speaker. If you are coming from a nicer sound system you may be disappointed with the 12-speaker.
Pano cam - get it, it looks cool
Cold weather package is not worth it
Heated steering wheel is extremely weak
Old 01-27-17 | 03:54 PM
Ready4aGS
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 GS with ML and before i purchased one thing i did was go out to a dealer and listen to one with ML and one without ML. I listened to Radio, Sat, CD, Bluetooth and for me there was quite a big difference in the two systems. Maybe you could try that.
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (01-27-17)
Old 01-30-17 | 08:34 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Erika
"...safe for others drivers to visually see you."
Eye-catching, yes, but safe for others to visually see you? The ordinary turn signal lights of base model cars are just as visible.
Do you have the tripple LEDs and find them insufficient for you to see the road ahead and objects ahead of you?
Old 01-31-17 | 03:29 PM
t4tran
Rookie

To me, the Mark L sound system is worth the upgrade. I feel it gives the whole cabin a nice surround sounds. I had DVD in motion in mine and when I play a movie, it sounds pretty good.

Also the perks for the Triple Beam is that you get LED signal lights for front and rear. Non Triple Beam has just generic looking blinking signals. As for the brightness, I say it's pretty good. I used to own a E Class Coupe and it's just as good.
Old 02-02-17 | 05:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I seldom if ever use the HUD as most of my driving is during the day and with my sunglasses I can hardly even see the HUD reflection on the windshield.

Love the ML radio and would not do without it. Love the look and performance of the triple beams.