RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Bi-Led Headlamps w/Adaptive Front Lighting System, HUD, Basic Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17 | 12:09 AM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Default Bi-Led Headlamps w/Adaptive Front Lighting System, HUD, Basic Navigation

Currently a BMW 5 series owner looking to switch over to a RX-350 F Sport. I have a little one and a dog so we can use the space more now. Initially I wanted a X5 but want to jump over to the Lexus brand for numerous reasons (resale, maintenance costs, reliability, etc). Looking to custom order as a lot of dealers don't seem to make the silver lining as some have said the atomic silver is replacing it. Just trying to figure out which costs I can cut out.

I've already read most of the posts here about how a lot of people like the triple beams for the looks. My question is for those that own a RX with the w/adaptive bi-led headlamps. They're not as stylish as the triple I know but at night, how well does it light up the roads? I'm used to German headlights that do a pretty good job of making all lanes bright. Is Lexus just as good? I saw that IIHS post how the bi-led w/adaptive scored better also. It seems the triple beams in Lexus IS considered in the higher end models (LS, GS, etc.) but it seems they all don't rank well in triple beams.

Those with the standard navigation, no Mark Levinson, thoughts on the sound? I know standard has 9 speakers, nav gets 12, and ML 15 speakers. Is the extra 1k to ML worth the cost?

HUD worth it for $600?

Last, I thought the touchless door open was standard. Some have reported it doesn't work well or don't even use it. Worth $200?

I appreciate any thoughts on pros and cons of any of these features before ordering.
Old 01-21-17 | 04:32 AM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

My experience and opinion:

1. Mark Levinson: honestly I can't tell a difference, but I also used to drive a base Nissan Leaf for over 2 years, and any Luxury factory sound system will be light years better than the Nissan's. The factory Lexus system is pretty stout, and I ML came with all the other options that I wanted

2. HUD: it's probably my favorite feature other than all the safety options. I rarely look down at my gauge cluster, as I enjoy sitting higher up and the HUD has all the information that I need

3. The touchless door is great, some of the frustration is due to the fact that "we" weren't explained on how and where the sensors are. ie. to open you have to use a part of your body on the top half of the Lexus emblem, if you wave or swipe any where near the bottom half, it will confuse the system. ie. elbow, forearm near the top half open, if it opens and you touch the bottom half it will stop.

hope this helps in your decision making, as far as the triple beam vs adaptive, I went with triple beam, and I love them
The following users liked this post:
tjmc44 (01-21-17)
Old 01-21-17 | 10:14 AM
apex47
Rookie

Originally Posted by yang88she
My experience and opinion:

1. Mark Levinson: honestly I can't tell a difference, but I also used to drive a base Nissan Leaf for over 2 years, and any Luxury factory sound system will be light years better than the Nissan's. The factory Lexus system is pretty stout, and I ML came with all the other options that I wanted

2. HUD: it's probably my favorite feature other than all the safety options. I rarely look down at my gauge cluster, as I enjoy sitting higher up and the HUD has all the information that I need

3. The touchless door is great, some of the frustration is due to the fact that "we" weren't explained on how and where the sensors are. ie. to open you have to use a part of your body on the top half of the Lexus emblem, if you wave or swipe any where near the bottom half, it will confuse the system. ie. elbow, forearm near the top half open, if it opens and you touch the bottom half it will stop.

hope this helps in your decision making, as far as the triple beam vs adaptive, I went with triple beam, and I love them
I was also pondering some of these same decisions as tjmc44.

How well does the triple beam light up the road for you?
Old 01-21-17 | 10:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

HUd is necessary

Touch free is not

Triple led's have a wide light spread. So when I am in the middle lane, it lights up the 2 lanes on the left and the center divider really well, as well as lights up the 2 lanes on the right plus the smaller street signs. I say it's a pretty wide angle.

You guys should test drive the car at dusk near closing time to see if it's something you like.

I also listened to standard audio. My song of choice was Hello by adele.

THe standard had a more muffled sound to it. The bass was there but mid to highs was not. The ML had more higher highs and mids but not too much low's in the beginning. After breaking in the 8 inch sub for a month, the lows are now there and the sound is beautiful
Old 01-21-17 | 01:56 PM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by apex47
I was also pondering some of these same decisions as tjmc44.

How well does the triple beam light up the road for you?
Works very well for me, I can't tell the difference from my wife's auto leveling Bi LED 2015 RX
Old 01-21-17 | 02:34 PM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Works very well for me, I can't tell the difference from my wife's auto leveling Bi LED 2015 RX
If you can't tell the difference, other than looks, is it worth the upgrade if it lights up just as well as the bi-LED?
Old 01-21-17 | 03:11 PM
tomtom74
Driver

2015 use HID for low-beam and Halogen for high-beam, not LED.
Old 01-21-17 | 03:52 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tjmc44
If you can't tell the difference, other than looks, is it worth the upgrade if it lights up just as well as the bi-LED?
Not sure if you just care about his opinion but yes it is worth it. Why? You get LED turn signal lights that run all the way across the whole brake light housing and in the front, you have a large LED bar strip for the turn signals. Way more eye catching and safe for other drivers to visually see you
Old 01-21-17 | 05:21 PM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Not sure if you just care about his opinion but yes it is worth it. Why? You get LED turn signal lights that run all the way across the whole brake light housing and in the front, you have a large LED bar strip for the turn signals. Way more eye catching and safe for other drivers to visually see you
Of all your upgrades, which do you like the most since owning your RX? Triple beams, ML, pano cam, etc?
Old 01-21-17 | 06:19 PM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomtom74
2015 use HID for low-beam and Halogen for high-beam, not LED.
oops, you're right confused with the led fogs

to me absolutely

Of all your upgrades, which do you like the most since owning your RX? Triple beams, ML, pano cam, etc?
I really like the HUD and ML, the kids love the pano...oh and the pano camera
tjmc44 (01-21-17)
Old 01-21-17 | 06:55 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Peace of mind: lexus safety plus

Pano view monitor is my best feature. Its a big car and being able to look at the screen and see the side of the curb etc while turning is very helpful. Also, if I am going out of an area with no view of the road, the front camera has the fish eye lens that helps show a wider view. Parking is much easier as well. I don't have to guess and "know" my car when remaining in the middle of the parking lines, I just look at the screen. I love it. If I had to get one thing it would be pano view camera and safety system plus. The hud helps alot esp when you see a bright red "BRAKE!" on the HUD instead of looking down at the spedo. But if price is an issue than pano view monitor for sure
tjmc44 (01-21-17)
Old 01-21-17 | 07:19 PM
tjmc44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Peace of mind: lexus safety plus

Pano view monitor is my best feature. Its a big car and being able to look at the screen and see the side of the curb etc while turning is very helpful. Also, if I am going out of an area with no view of the road, the front camera has the fish eye lens that helps show a wider view. Parking is much easier as well. I don't have to guess and "know" my car when remaining in the middle of the parking lines, I just look at the screen. I love it. If I had to get one thing it would be pano view camera and safety system plus. The hud helps alot esp when you see a bright red "BRAKE!" on the HUD instead of looking down at the spedo. But if price is an issue than pano view monitor for sure
Pano cam and HUD are a for sure due to safety. What I'm debating with at this point is either ML or triple beams. I could get both but just trying to justify the cost.
Old 01-22-17 | 04:27 AM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

Pano cam and HUD are a for sure due to safety. What I'm debating with at this point is either ML or triple beams. I could get both but just trying to justify the cost.
Well like many Lexus Owner's, I will be driving my RX until the wheels fall off, or until the little ones destroy it....and if they don't, then one of them will get the privilege of it being their 1st car haha.

So, yea that's my justification to getting "all the goodies."

you can't go wrong either way, but I'm sure there were a few members that chimed in about "if I had to do it over again, I would have...."
Old 01-22-17 | 05:06 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm... my dad said he would never get an ML again because he had one on his LX before and after a few years everything started breaking. But that was in 2000, not sure how systems may have changed over the years.

I would skip the ML. It's not something that you really need. Your ears will adjust and get used to the regular system which is still really good.

WIth the triple beams, it's about looks mostly. Do you see a car with it and say how good looking the car is? Have you seen a car with triple beams use their turn signals?

I say go to the dealer and find one and turn on the headlights and emergency lights and just stand there for a few minutes and see if it's worth the extra cost!

P.S. if you are buying from the lot, make sure you test drive the car and check for engine drone and excessive vibration when accelerating from a stop around 1,5000 RPM.
Old 01-22-17 | 05:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

You answered your question with your last comment. I doubt anybody here can convince you otherwise.

Quick Reply: Bi-Led Headlamps w/Adaptive Front Lighting System, HUD, Basic Navigation