RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport and non, major differences?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 01:44 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
F-Sport has a beefier suspension -- I enjoy driving mine in hilly country. But some don't like the seats, so you might want to take a long test drive in one before deciding.
So true, The seats have way more bolstering
Old 06-11-21, 02:53 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrichter
Hi guys,
As I find my self now driving 6 months in the Tennessee mountains I am considering purchasing a 2022 RX-350 F-sport trading in my 2017 RX-350. Any comments on the handling differences between the 2 are appreciated. I have loaded down my present 2017 and found it really doesn't handle great especially in mountain driving.

Thanks, Jim
My wife has the 2017 RX-450h and I just purchased the 2021 RX-450h F Sport. I think the adaptive variable suspension is good and I really can tell the difference between the two cars. Steering is tighter and the car much more responsive. I don't think you can go wrong with the new purchase.
Old 03-15-22, 12:05 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RX 350 f-sport vs base

Hello all! It's finally time for me to jump into an SUV in the next month or so (I've had multiple ES300's GS300's, GS350, and an LS460 in the past). I am currently looking at a 2019 f sport, white on black, 49k w/ 30k miles on it. I'm not too knowledgeable with the RX350 as this will be my first suv. Is this a reasonable price in todays super inflated market? Also, anyone have the base RX350 and wish they got the f-sport model instead (or vice versa)? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-15-22, 01:37 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

I purchased a 2020 Base and happy with my choice.
The F Sport as you know is primarily an appearance package and I do like the way that it looks. However, seat comfort was an issue for me and I found the seats in the base to be much more comfortable.

For me the other big must have was Apple CarPlay. Not sure if the 2019 has it.
Finally Blind spot was a must due to long daily commute via highway. It was an option in 2020 and I am very happy that I got it.

For my daily drive the RX is perfect. Very comfortable, enough power to pass and merge when I need to, quiet interior, and just the right amount of tech. I also like the revised 2020 grill.
Great vehicle.
Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Quantum501:
PlatES300 (03-15-22), ravenuer (03-15-22)
Old 03-15-22, 02:01 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

I would think you could get a 2022 for not much more money. maybe $6k to $8k more for a F sport with the handling package. $49k for a 2019 seems high IMO.
Old 03-16-22, 03:39 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatES300
Hello all! It's finally time for me to jump into an SUV in the next month or so (I've had multiple ES300's GS300's, GS350, and an LS460 in the past). I am currently looking at a 2019 f sport, white on black, 49k w/ 30k miles on it. I'm not too knowledgeable with the RX350 as this will be my first suv. Is this a reasonable price in todays super inflated market? Also, anyone have the base RX350 and wish they got the f-sport model instead (or vice versa)? Thanks for your help!
I have the base, albeit fully loaded and have no regrets not getting the F-Sport at all. Having had an ES350 before I knew I wanted a vehicle that would ride great. I didn’t want anything with a stiffer suspension. I would leave that for my Mustang GT at the time

If you can afford the cost, going new right now is a much better purchase than buying at inflated used prices.. $49K for a 3 yr old vehicle with 30K miles is crazy to me when I can buy a fully loaded 2022 F-Sport for around $58K. The 2019 will also not have CarPlay if that makes a difference for you.
Old 03-16-22, 02:44 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
F-Sport has a beefier suspension -- I enjoy driving mine in hilly country. But some don't like the seats, so you might want to take a long test drive in one before deciding.
If the F Sport does not have the AVS, does it still have beefier suspension? Which parts?
Old 03-16-22, 05:03 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If the F Sport does not have the AVS, does it still have beefier suspension? Which parts?
Its got the base suspension.
Old 03-17-22, 06:55 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Its got the base suspension.
Including these F-Sport dampers, front and rear. They serve some purpose, but the question is will you notice much. Here is a photo of my rear dampers.

Old 04-26-22, 08:38 AM
Howard18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F sport comfort

I posted this question on a similar site; hope this is OK. Am about to buy an RX450h and think I want the better handling of the F sport model, but was unable to drive one at my local dealer. I’ve recently read that the F sport ride is harsh and that the seats are uncomfortable. I know that the real answer is to drive one to judge for myself, but for those who have driven both models, what do you think? For what it’s worth, I’m 69 years old, 5‘5“, 125 pounds. Thanks for the help. Howard
Old 04-26-22, 09:11 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an FSport and while we like it, I'd prefrer the seats in the non FSport version. Bolstering is a bit snug for me, but I'm 6' 230 lbs. As for ride, to me it's no harsher than the regular suspension unless you put it into sport+ mode, not available on non FSport models. Here in Canada, the top line packages for F and non F differ in trim bits. No rear door window sun shades, no thigh adjuster on the front seats. FSport has the suspension dampers, which presumeably help with cornering. I don't drive it like that so it's really not necessary, and I've replaced the rear adjustable damper with a non-adjustable one (bike rack mount ). I also like the red colour of ours which is only available here in the FSport. Around here, silver and grey are the prevalent colour. I like to be a bit different.
Old 04-26-22, 09:29 AM
Howard18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I have an FSport and while we like it, I'd prefrer the seats in the non FSport version. Bolstering is a bit snug for me, but I'm 6' 230 lbs. As for ride, to me it's no harsher than the regular suspension unless you put it into sport+ mode, not available on non FSport models. Here in Canada, the top line packages for F and non F differ in trim bits. No rear door window sun shades, no thigh adjuster on the front seats. FSport has the suspension dampers, which presumeably help with cornering. I don't drive it like that so it's really not necessary, and I've replaced the rear adjustable damper with a non-adjustable one (bike rack mount ). I also like the red colour of ours which is only available here in the FSport. Around here, silver and grey are the prevalent colour. I like to be a bit different.
Thanks. Curious about your bike rack mount comment. I currently have a Thule rack that mounts to a trailer hitch, and was planning to use this rack on a trailer hitch on my Lexus. Am I missing something?
Old 04-26-22, 10:08 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Howard18
Thanks. Curious about your bike rack mount comment. I currently have a Thule rack that mounts to a trailer hitch, and was planning to use this rack on a trailer hitch on my Lexus. Am I missing something?
Apparently on the F-sport, you would remove the rear damper to install the trailer hitch receiver. The receiver then functions as…the rear damper. On a non-F-sport, the receiver thus “adds a rear damper” when there was none. I have the non-F-sport base model, but I didn’t notice any handling difference when I added the hitch. But I am not executing high-speed slalom turns though.
Old 04-26-22, 11:05 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Howard18
Not missing anything. Look through my posts I have a Thule rack and installed a Curt receiver. There is a photo of both somewhere in there.
Old 07-23-23, 03:55 AM
Dinesh2023
2nd gear

Default Disappointed in F Sport Handling

I am in the market for used 20/21SUV and after driving Hondas decided to change and go for Toyota/Lexus. In the past I didn’t buy Toyotas due to loose handling. Test drove Highlander, RAV4, and 2/3 RXs including F Sport. The handling was fine on all but expected little firm on F Sport with bigger tires and tuned suspension. Maybe I drove just Base with Sport? I don’t see the need to spend couple thousand extra for the sport. Now leaning toward regular RX, maybe Premium version. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading and your comments.

Quick Reply: F Sport and non, major differences?