RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX vs Highlander cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 09:09 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Do either of them have or offer active noise cancellation? Toyota and Lexus are leaders in weight reduction and one thing their cars often come up short in is having substantial physical sound insulation. Other car makers are doing it too and IMO it is a race to the bottom on cabin noise. not saying ANC is the same as robust noise proofing.
I wouldn't say "Toyota and Lexus are leaders in weight reduction" since their cars are not the lightest in class anymore due to lack of use of lighter metals or composites for body panels or frames. Lexus has also seems to be falling behind in technology too, so none of the models offer active noise cancellation. Let's hope the new LS introduces new technology in materials for weight reduction and quietness.
Old 03-11-17, 10:38 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes your are right, I think cadillac for one uses lighter body panels in their CT6 and xt5. They also use active noise cancellation. My personal experience with ANC is that the low end bass of those BOSE stereos is lacking and I don't know for sure but suspect that it is uniquely related to either ANC algorithms or BOSE systems in general.
Old 03-11-17, 10:40 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Yes your are right, I think cadillac for one uses lighter body panels in their CT6 and xt5. They also use active noise cancellation. My personal experience with ANC is that the low end bass of those BOSE stereos is lacking and I don't know for sure but suspect that it is uniquely related to either ANC algorithms or BOSE systems in general.
BOSE...no highs, no lows, this blows. Commonly said about in-car BOSE stereos. Haha
Old 03-11-17, 10:57 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BOSE -- Buy Other Stereo Equipment
Old 03-12-17, 09:41 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Yukon rental all week last week with a Bose system and I was shocked how badly it sucked.
Old 02-04-18, 05:40 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

There is not a noticeable difference in noise between my 2015 Highlander Limited and my 2017 RX 350. My 2015 Highlander was less noisy than my 2015 RX but I attribute that to tires. The 2015 Highlander has Toyo tires the 2015 RX had Dunlops. My 2017 RX has Bridgestones.
Old 03-21-18, 03:11 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you so much for your helpful posts - i am currently considering both the 2016 rx450h or 2014 highlander hybrid to replace my rx400h.

one thing i am shocked to believe, does the 2016 rx450h/rx350 really go down from 84 cu. ft of storage (2007 model suv) to 55 cu. ft of rear storage (2016 model suv). thats a shocking 35% less space (that i do you use very regularly for my work).

Originally Posted by JDR76
The biggest and most obvious was the 3rd row. That was a requirement for us this time around, and now that we've had it for a while, it's hard to imagine going back. It's been incredibly useful for suiting our family needs.

One of my wife's biggest requests was to have a panoramic sunroof. While you can get that on the new RX, we also use our roof rack extensively so the fact that you cannot get the cross bars with the panoramic roof on the RX was another issue.

Interior wise, we liked the Highlander's 3 zone climate control with separate HVAC controls for the rear seats, and the rear side window pull-up shades. We also liked the second row heated captain's chairs more than we liked a bench seat. By having the third row it did not hurt to lose the second row middle seat. Other niceties were the bigger cargo space (with third row folded) and the fact that the rear hatch window opens separate of the hatch. We also like that it comes with 2 years of service.

On the Highlander you can't get some RX features, like power folding mirrors, HUD, real wood trim, or HID/LED headlights. Those were tough to lose. But we were able to get things like radar cruise, auto high beams, lane departure alert, heated steering wheel, heated/vented front seats, BSM with RCTA, etc. My only real complaint with the Highlander is that I hate the touch screen navigation interface. Much prefer the RTI. Interior materials are, in general, much nicer in the RX, but in our family hauler I don't mind so much.

When my GS lease is up I may consider swapping it for a new RX. Then we'll have the best of both worlds.
Originally Posted by JDR76
I have a 16 Highlander. I used to have a '13 RX and have had a '17 RX loaner. The new RX was quieter for sure. The Highlander and the previous gen RX were very comparable in noise.

Not really. They share much, much more than just the powertrains. The bulk of the chassis/platform is the same as well.

The Lexus dealer is certain to have a nicer, more upscale atmosphere than the Toyota dealer for sure, but there is nothing about Toyota service that should make anyone think they can't fix a rattle.

Having both, I think there are some things that are better on my Toyota and some things that are better on my Lexus. Our Highlander feels a lot like our RX did, though the new RX is absolutely a step up in refinement. Our Highlander was actually more expensive than our RX was.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (03-22-18)
Old 03-22-18, 10:50 AM
My450H
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
I had a Yukon rental all week last week with a Bose system and I was shocked how badly it sucked.
The Bose system on my Nissan Altima 2005 3.5SL is still going well and is very enjoyable. Always on and loud when the car is on. Only the cd mechanical ejecting action is getting weaker and slower but I hardly use it.

In fact Bose has shown me how valuable a good stereo system is for driving. I need it to deal with long traffic commute.
Old 03-22-18, 10:57 AM
My450H
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the topic of rattles, my new 2018 RX with only 400 miles also starts to make an intermittent rattle noise on the passenger side. I was a little surprised as I expected better from Lexus. But whatever, it's very difficult to make a near perfect car. My top trim Altima also made a lot of cabin noise when it was new. I slowly found them and jammed cotton in the places. Problems solved.

I'll do the same for my lexus eventually.