RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Stone chip on front camera- What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 04:07 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sweet! It's all who you get for an advisor.
Old 04-06-17, 04:17 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Sweet! It's all who you get for an advisor.
They kinda correct you that it's a stone chip not a scratch and give you a car wash and ask you to go away
Old 04-09-17, 03:50 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion
Attachment 407258
After take it to the dealer
Wait!!! So did they fix it or just fixed what they are calling it? haha
Old 04-10-17, 01:58 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

out of curiousity I asked a reliable service rep. He said it will not be covered because it is from an outside influence.

Month out the xpel is sticking after 3 car washes. Wish I did this before.
Old 05-19-17, 12:02 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Thanks for the heads up. I will order a tempered glass protector for an iPhone camera lens and stick on the front camera. Maybe I'll stick some on the ones under the mirror and tailgate so won't worry about scratches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122177904560

or maybe this since the front lens seems slightly larger than the iPhone lens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122398610875
Originally Posted by aznkorboi
It's bound to happen. It's on the front of the car. Gonna see if the xpel sticks and how it blurs the vision and prolong it as long as I can until it needs to be fixed.
Dchar which one did you end up going with and what are your thoughts?

Aznkorboi - what were your results?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-17, 12:40 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NebulaGrey
Dchar which one did you end up going with and what are your thoughts?

Aznkorboi - what were your results?

thanks in advance.
REsults are 100 percent recommend my route. It was super easy. I had left over xpel because I did my door sills myself. Bought it on amazon. Cut it out and it's been a month, rain, car washes, etc and it's still stuck on. It helps against water blocking the lens because that happened before. Now it beads off. And it helps protect against rock chips as it is designed to do
Old 02-19-18, 08:10 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Camera lens protection.

I just went out and measured the lens. It looks like a disc of PPF about 11mm or 7/16" will exactly cover the lens without extending over the the edge onto the frame. There is a slight gap between the lens and the mount that would leave an air gap under the film. I'm going to order an 11mm punch from eBay to make perfectly circular patches of PPF. I'll post pictures of the final results.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (10-15-20)
Old 10-14-20, 06:23 PM
colombiano
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front lens cracked

I just picked my rx2017 executive package with 52000 kms on it about two weeks ago in Edmonton. When I did the inspection at the dealership I found a few defects on the car like the windshield being cracked and a few scratches that were on the rims. Everything was fixed within the price... Somehow I missed inspecting the front camera lens, it does work but since it's cracked it shows a blurry image on the screen. Is this covered under any warranty at all? Has someone had the same issue? If so, what are the steps to follow? Or do I just need to buy a new camera since they just don't replace the lens.
thank you

Old 10-15-20, 06:48 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by colombiano
Is this covered under any warranty at all? Has someone had the same issue? If so, what are the steps to follow? Or do I just need to buy a new camera since they just don't replace the lens.
thank you
I don't believe it's covered under the factory warranty unless the camera failed to turn on when you tried to use it. It's similar to getting a chipped windshield - you wouldn't be able to replace it under warranty since they'd say it's your fault.

That said, perhaps you might be able to get some goodwill from the dealer and maybe they'd be willing to eat some of the costs in replacing the entire unit. Did you buy it from Lexus of Edmonton or South Pointe?
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 09:37 AM
colombiano
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
I don't believe it's covered under the factory warranty unless the camera failed to turn on when you tried to use it. It's similar to getting a chipped windshield - you wouldn't be able to replace it under warranty since they'd say it's your fault.

That said, perhaps you might be able to get some goodwill from the dealer and maybe they'd be willing to eat some of the costs in replacing the entire unit. Did you buy it from Lexus of Edmonton or South Pointe?
I thought so. I just thought I'd ask to see if someone had a similar situation... Camera works fine, it just seems blurry on the screen as if the lens was dirty. The thing is that they sold me the car like that, and it was my bad I didn't inspect there camera as I should have to catch it that day. I got it at Lexus of Edmonton on September 30th.

Old 10-15-20, 10:04 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

I thought so. I just thought I'd ask to see if someone had a similar situation... Camera works fine, it just seems blurry on the screen as if the lens was dirty. The thing is that they sold me the car like that, and it was my bad I didn't inspect there camera as I should have to catch it that day. I got it at Lexus of Edmonton on September 30th.
I've had a pretty good experience in the past with Lexus of Edmonton on issues that weren't covered under the factory warranty so it's definitely worth reaching out to them to see if they can give you a hand.
Old 10-15-20, 10:14 AM
colombiano
10th Gear

I've had a pretty good experience in the past with Lexus of Edmonton on issues that weren't covered under the factory warranty so it's definitely worth reaching out to them to see if they can give you a hand.
I def will, should I speak with the sales person that sold me the car or to someone above him?
Old 10-15-20, 01:25 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

I def will, should I speak with the sales person that sold me the car or to someone above him?
Speak with the salesperson first and see where things go. Know it'll be near impossible to get it completely covered, but if they do decide to cover a portion of your costs, that's still very good.
Old 10-15-20, 01:31 PM
colombiano
10th Gear

Speak with the salesperson first and see where things go. Know it'll be near impossible to get it completely covered, but if they do decide to cover a portion of your costs, that's still very good.
I spoke with the salesperson and he said it was normal wear and tear because that's one of the parts where the car is exposed the most, and they wouldn't replace it and to replace the unit was $1500. So I got in touch with the general manager and I'm waiting to see what the says. Not to mention I made them money with my Trade in, I traded in a 2016 is300, I got $25500 for it and they listed it for $33500. Not too sure for how much they sold it for. First and last time I trade in a vehicle, will sell it privately next time.

Last edited by colombiano; 10-15-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-15-20, 04:08 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I spoke with the salesperson and he said it was normal wear and tear because that's one of the parts where the car is exposed the most, and they wouldn't replace it and to replace the unit was $1500. So I got in touch with the general manager and I'm waiting to see what the says. Not to mention I made them money with my Trade in, I traded in a 2016 is300, I got $25500 for it and they listed it for $33500. Not too sure for how much they sold it for. First and last time I trade in a vehicle, will sell it privately next time.
That's complete BS, there is no wear & tear on such an item. Having said that it's on you to make sure that the vehicle is OK unless you bught a CPO as a CPO it could not be sold with such defect and inn this case you'd have Lexus onside.

Quick Reply: Stone chip on front camera- What to do?