RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Stone chip on front camera- What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 05:23 PM
colombiano
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
That's complete BS, there is no wear & tear on such an item. Having said that it's on you to make sure that the vehicle is OK unless you bught a CPO as a CPO it could not be sold with such defect and inn this case you'd have Lexus onside.
It is bs, you're right. Well I'm pretty sure it's a CPO, I'm the second owner of the vehicle. I ended up talking to one of the big managers and they want to see it in person on Saturday to see what can be done about it. So I'm going on Saturday
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-16-20)
Old 10-15-20, 05:41 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by colombiano
It is bs, you're right. Well I'm pretty sure it's a CPO, I'm the second owner of the vehicle. I ended up talking to one of the big managers and they want to see it in person on Saturday to see what can be done about it. So I'm going on Saturday
The challenge is just because you're the second owner of the vehicle doesn't mean it's a CPO. Some cars don't pass CPO since it would take too much money for the dealer to certify them.

That said, CPO is a huge moneymaker for dealers since it gives them huge margins and it doesn't give you a lot of added benefits in Canada since it only "extends" the powertrain warranty by 2 years from your purchase date, but with the factory powertrain warranty being 6 years from first purchase date, it doesn't actually extend anything.

Though, $1,500 is an insane amount to fix the front camera, and the resolution on the camera itself isn't even that good. Good luck on Saturday!
Old 10-19-20, 10:45 AM
colombiano
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
The challenge is just because you're the second owner of the vehicle doesn't mean it's a CPO. Some cars don't pass CPO since it would take too much money for the dealer to certify them.

That said, CPO is a huge moneymaker for dealers since it gives them huge margins and it doesn't give you a lot of added benefits in Canada since it only "extends" the powertrain warranty by 2 years from your purchase date, but with the factory powertrain warranty being 6 years from first purchase date, it doesn't actually extend anything.

Though, $1,500 is an insane amount to fix the front camera, and the resolution on the camera itself isn't even that good. Good luck on Saturday!
So after having a pointless talk with the salesperson I got in touch with one of the big managers at the dealership and he referred me to the pre-owned vehicles sales manager to handle it. He saw the camera wasn't working properly on Saturday and he took care of it. They're taking a camera from another car and swapping it for the one that's on right now. Btw parts and service was 859 before taxes so I don't know where the salesperson came up with the 1500. So problem taken care of, it's all who you talk to definitely. The manager guy thanked me for my business and took care of it. Camera being replaced this week.
The following 2 users liked this post by colombiano:
jollick (10-19-20), ravenuer (10-19-20)
Old 10-19-20, 11:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

So after having a pointless talk with the salesperson I got in touch with one of the big managers at the dealership and he referred me to the pre-owned vehicles sales manager to handle it. He saw the camera wasn't working properly on Saturday and he took care of it. They're taking a camera from another car and swapping it for the one that's on right now. Btw parts and service was 859 before taxes so I don't know where the salesperson came up with the 1500. So problem taken care of, it's all who you talk to definitely. The manager guy thanked me for my business and took care of it. Camera being replaced this week.
Glad you got the problem solved!
Old 10-19-20, 02:39 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

So after having a pointless talk with the salesperson I got in touch with one of the big managers at the dealership and he referred me to the pre-owned vehicles sales manager to handle it. He saw the camera wasn't working properly on Saturday and he took care of it. They're taking a camera from another car and swapping it for the one that's on right now. Btwparts and service was 859 before taxes so I don't know where the salesperson came up with the 1500. So problem taken care of, it's all who you talk to definitely. The manager guy thanked me for my business and took care of it. Camera being replaced this week.

So you're getting a new camera or keeping the swapped out one?
Old 10-19-20, 03:20 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Lexus of Edmonton to the rescue!

Although, they're just shifting the problem to someone else and hoping they don't catch it. Regardless, not your problem anymore.

I'd assume if they're just switching cameras, all of the costs would be related to labor, which would be different compared to getting a new camera replaced.
Old 10-20-20, 11:20 AM
colombiano
10th Gear

Lexus of Edmonton to the rescue!

Although, they're just shifting the problem to someone else and hoping they don't catch it. Regardless, not your problem anymore.

I'd assume if they're just switching cameras, all of the costs would be related to labor, which would be different compared to getting a new camera replaced.
They're not giving me a new one but I'll make sure the one the put on works perfectly. And I do hope if they do put this camera on another car the person that buys that car realizes it doesn't work properly. I'm happy I'm being dealt with though.
Old 10-20-20, 11:38 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Glad you got them to resolve your problem at a reasonable cost. Also thank you for sharing, and reminding us here to go over everything before driving your CPO off the dealer's lot.
Old 10-20-20, 12:52 PM
colombiano
10th Gear

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Glad you got them to resolve your problem at a reasonable cost. Also thank you for sharing, and reminding us here to go over everything before driving your CPO off the dealer's lot.
Yeah for sure. These cars aren't cheap at all even as used or CPO. So, people should make sure they're happy and satisfied with what they're getting. And get stuff fixed, the dealer can afford to fix any imperfection on the car.
Old 11-01-20, 02:25 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

So what are you guys using to protect the front camera lens? Wonder if Paint Protection Film would adhere well with the round lens? Any other suggestions?
Old 11-01-20, 02:38 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
So what are you guys using to protect the front camera lens? Wonder if Paint Protection Film would adhere well with the round lens? Any other suggestions?
I bought this awhile back:
Amazon Amazon

It's flexible enough unlike the typical screen protector for your phones, and durable enough that you shouldn't have to worry about rocks piercing through the film. I haven't had any issues with it coming off in a car wash or whatnot. The roll is quite small though, but there's more than enough for you to use if you mess up (trust me, it took me a few attempts).

The tricky part is measuring how wide the circle should be... but even if you cut a bigger circle than needed, it won't really stick out since it's clear film.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewTO:
GS4_Fiend (11-01-20), jollick (11-02-20)
Old 11-01-20, 02:48 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I bought this awhile back: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's flexible enough unlike the typical screen protector for your phones, and durable enough that you shouldn't have to worry about rocks piercing through the film. I haven't had any issues with it coming off in a car wash or whatnot. The roll is quite small though, but there's more than enough for you to use if you mess up (trust me, it took me a few attempts).

The tricky part is measuring how wide the circle should be... but even if you cut a bigger circle than needed, it won't really stick out since it's clear film.
Hey thanks for the idea!

So since the camera lens is round and the film is flat. Was it hard to install it "flush" around the lens? With the tacky adhesion from the film has, any blur effects?

Also any pics with it on the camera lens and a panoramic camera view pic?

Really appreciate it!
Old 11-01-20, 02:54 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Nope, think of the film as similar to one of those soft plastic screen protectors (not the tempered glass ones) that used to be popular everywhere so it easily molds to the shape of the camera.

It wasn't hard, but you do have to hold down the film after putting it on so you can get rid of any air spots.

Surprisingly, no blur effects... and if there are any, I can't tell anyways. I can definitely snap a few photos for you when I'm back home later this week!
The following users liked this post:
GS4_Fiend (11-01-20)
Old 11-01-20, 04:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, think of the film as similar to one of those soft plastic screen protectors (not the tempered glass ones) that used to be popular everywhere so it easily molds to the shape of the camera.

It wasn't hard, but you do have to hold down the film after putting it on so you can get rid of any air spots.

Surprisingly, no blur effects... and if there are any, I can't tell anyways. I can definitely snap a few photos for you when I'm back home later this week!
Looking forward to the pic!