RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thump sound while in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 07:40 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump sound while in reverse

Hello,

once I put my car in reverse and start backing up, I hear a Thump sound coming from the rear. I asked my service advisor when I took it in for service and the technician said the sound it coming from the auto E-brake. It doesn't sound normal

is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 03-17-17, 07:49 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

No, I hear the weeeeeing when it turns off the brake no thump
Old 03-17-17, 08:27 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

I hear the same weeeing sound but that's when I put the car in park and the auto e-brake is engaged
Old 03-18-17, 05:55 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have heard a thump before especially when it's cold out. Seems the brake pads stick a bit causing a thump. Maybe I'm putting into reverse too quickly and the e brake has not completely released.
Old 03-18-17, 03:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^+1. Experienced the thump with every Lexus I've owned if the pads are temporarily lightly seized due to rain or other environmental reasons making the pads stick. So long as it does not repeat itself immediately after the time it happens, you'e fine.
Old 03-18-17, 08:48 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^+1. Experienced the thump with every Lexus I've owned if the pads are temporarily lightly seized due to rain or other environmental reasons making the pads stick. So long as it does not repeat itself immediately after the time it happens, you'e fine.
I hear the thump sound every time I reverse
Old 03-20-17, 08:03 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. Me, too.
Old 10-10-18, 04:33 AM
SailorMoon
Driver School Candidate

I have the same sound in my 2017 RX350 and tech says it's normal. I disagree. Why is this sound so pronounced that it startles the driver and everyone in the car? Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Old 07-25-19, 10:44 AM
BorgX
Driver School Candidate

This just started happening on my 2017 with 26K miles on it. Never heard this noise before now. Definitely not normal and seems to be coming from the rear. The first time we heard it we thought we had backed into something...
Old 07-25-19, 11:47 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I get a thunk/clunk going into R or D about 50% of the time. For the cars I've owned, this only happens when I'm parked on the hill and it takes a bit of an effort move the gear lever. It feels like a transmission issue. Dealer said it's normal. Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
MODale (07-29-19)
Old 07-25-19, 12:30 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Had this problem a while ago then it just randomly stopped happening. I only noticed it when I would take my foot off the brake AFTER switching to reverse. Seems as if the transmission was too slow to shift and I let go of the brake in the middle of the shift so it clunked into gear. It did NOT happen when I simply shift into reverse and leave my foot on the brake or pause for about 2 seconds before releasing the brake. It was only noticeable if I was to release the brake too soon. Now, thankfully I don’t notice it at all anymore. Along with this was also a somewhat slow reverse speed. If I shift into reverse sometimes the car would move like a snail, other times it would reverse faster. Putting in 93 gas or keeping the AC compressor on (which raises RPMS) was helping the reverse issue.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-25-19 at 05:29 PM. Reason: derailing thread
Old 07-25-19, 05:56 PM
SailorMoon
Driver School Candidate

Default Thump sound while in reverse

Thanks for the recent comments and sharing your experiences!

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania (somewhat cold winters) and noticed I didn't have the thump sound during the winter months. However, I have experienced it again this summer a few times. Even in R on a flat surface I still get the occasional thump and I think I may have my foot on the brake. Can't remember. I'll pay more attention to my R process and as to when I put my foot on the brake etc. This RX350 is driven gently and well taken care of and no one is allowed to drive it except for me. It's disappointing that Lexus can't give a straight and honest answer as to why this happens and remedy it. I seem to get the run around about it every time I go for service. My response always seems to be --- "Remind me again -- how much did I pay for this car?" And this is the higher level 2017 RX350. With all the Mustangs and Toyotas I've owned, I've never experienced this.
Old 07-29-19, 06:05 AM
MODale
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always attributed it to the hill holder systems. I never thought about it because I have a steep driveway and other cars I’ve had make the same sound.
Old 09-16-19, 07:58 PM
BorgX
Driver School Candidate

I've tried every thing I could think of to avoid the thump.Foot on brake, off brake, wait 15 seconds after it is in reverse, put it in reverse wait 15 seconds put it in drive wait 15 seconds then back in reverse. STILL does it. I am beginning to hate the darn thing. This past weekend it was freaking embarrassing. Had another couple with us for the weekend and was backing out of a space in a parking garage and THUMP! The woman with us screamed because she thought we hit something... yup, it's that loud. Pisses me off and is pathetic for a "luxury" SUV to be doing this.
Old 09-17-19, 08:33 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 488 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by BorgX
I've tried every thing I could think of to avoid the thump.Foot on brake, off brake, wait 15 seconds after it is in reverse, put it in reverse wait 15 seconds put it in drive wait 15 seconds then back in reverse. STILL does it. I am beginning to hate the darn thing. This past weekend it was freaking embarrassing. Had another couple with us for the weekend and was backing out of a space in a parking garage and THUMP! The woman with us screamed because she thought we hit something... yup, it's that loud. Pisses me off and is pathetic for a "luxury" SUV to be doing this.
What has your dealer said about it?

Quick Reply: Thump sound while in reverse