RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mark Levinson Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 08:01 PM
bnmnmrl7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Rattle

Hi all!
I noticed the other day that there was a rattling sound in my 2016 RX 350 Luxury Package with Mark Levinson sound system. It seems like its behind the driver seat, I'm not sure if its coming from the back seat or trunk. It can rattle a bit with volume anywhere from 20 and higher, using iPhone with EQ Bass Booster on and usually playing songs with lots of bass (pop, hiphop, rap, etc). Any ideas of what this is?
Old 04-12-17, 02:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Bass will cause things to rattle.

Best results are with less bass or less volume.

It it is all about physics.

You can take it to the dealer but they will likely tell you the same.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-12-17 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Agree with Greg. You might want to make some adjustments or consider installing a subwoofer. Bass is not one of the strongest points of the ML system.
Old 04-12-17, 04:39 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bnmnmrl7
. It can rattle a bit with volume anywhere from 20 and higher,
I would try to isolate it more closely, this isn't a high volume level.
I play my ML (I do have 2016 IS350) at 40+ power and no rattle whatsoever, including bass.
I have plenty of bass rattle in my old BMW's Harman Kardon but I blame it on a shot speaker.
I am super impressed by ML, never had anything remotely sounding so clean at such high volume.
Old 04-12-17, 05:41 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi all!
I noticed the other day that there was a rattling sound in my 2016 RX 350 Luxury Package with Mark Levinson sound system. It seems like its behind the driver seat, I'm not sure if its coming from the back seat or trunk. It can rattle a bit with volume anywhere from 20 and higher, using iPhone with EQ Bass Booster on and usually playing songs with lots of bass (pop, hiphop, rap, etc). Any ideas of what this is?
turn off bass booster.

I use my iPhone too. My bass is 2-3 below max.

I run around 20-25 with no rattle and I play edm etc.

take a video!!! Sometimes during manufacturing they may have forgotten too add a piece or left a screw. You never know. They forgot to put a screw in my door lol.
Old 04-14-17, 05:01 AM
Junior1790
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all!
I have the same problem and it's driving crazy.. seems to be coming from just over my left shoulder but I can't nail it down, I only get it with certain songs which I assume is due to different bass tones. Sometimes it sounds like it's from inside the drivers door and other times a little further back, I'm trying to isolate it but no luck, let me know how you do with fixing..
Old 04-14-17, 06:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 562 Likes on 400 Posts

Hi all!

There is a big subwoofer under the trunk floor. If there is anything inside the under trunk storage or the trunk floor, it will vibrate and cause the rattle. Make sure the jack and tools are secured and tightly stored.
Old 04-14-17, 07:26 AM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
I am super impressed by ML, never had anything remotely sounding so clean at such high volume.
I agree, it's amazing how it's so clear as you scale up in volume. I don't have any rattle at all on mine even at max volume, I usually listen around 50 and it's so clear.

I didn't realize the sub was under the trunk floor as another user mentioned. I thought the sub was the speaker in the trunk to the left?
Old 04-14-17, 09:23 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
There is a big subwoofer under the trunk floor. If there is anything inside the under trunk storage or the trunk floor, it will vibrate and cause the rattle. Make sure the jack and tools are secured and tightly stored.
Hello! The sub I believe is not under the trunk. It is directly to the left of the boot space. YOu will see a black meshed out speaker looking thing on the left rear of the trunk. There are woofers in all of the doors. Smaller but still produce mid bass. IF you have anything in the holders in the sides of the doors it will rattle.

I always use a towel to line anything I keep in the side compartments on the doors and have had zero issues with rattling.
Old 04-14-17, 11:15 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 17RX350F
I agree, it's amazing how it's so clear as you scale up in volume. I don't have any rattle at all on mine even at max volume, I usually listen around 50 and it's so clear.

I didn't realize the sub was under the trunk floor as another user mentioned. I thought the sub was the speaker in the trunk to the left?
You normally listen at volume 50???
Old 04-14-17, 11:32 AM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
You normally listen at volume 50???
I should clarify that lol When I am bumping out to music that is what I have it set to, above that is really loud.

I missed feeling the bass on my back (like when I was a kid and had a system in the car) and this is close enough for me, I love it!
Old 04-22-17, 09:41 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Noticed the same on my 2016 RX350. The rattle wasn't there when it was new. It's now a year old. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers door. I will mention it on the next service.
Old 04-25-17, 02:04 AM
bnmnmrl7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Hello! The sub I believe is not under the trunk. It is directly to the left of the boot space. YOu will see a black meshed out speaker looking thing on the left rear of the trunk. There are woofers in all of the doors. Smaller but still produce mid bass. IF you have anything in the holders in the sides of the doors it will rattle.

I always use a towel to line anything I keep in the side compartments on the doors and have had zero issues with rattling.
Im going to try this - thank you!
Old 04-25-17, 02:06 AM
bnmnmrl7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Junior1790
I have the same problem and it's driving crazy.. seems to be coming from just over my left shoulder but I can't nail it down, I only get it with certain songs which I assume is due to different bass tones. Sometimes it sounds like it's from inside the drivers door and other times a little further back, I'm trying to isolate it but no luck, let me know how you do with fixing..
Yes I have the same exact issue, but mine has since substantially subsided though. Now it comes rarely.
Old 04-25-17, 11:21 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the same bass-rattle issue in the driver's door; seems to be around the the door lock post. Started happening a few months ago. Mine is the (non ML) standard stereo system. I don't play my music loud, nor have the bass cranked up. Very annoying...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Rattle