RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 08:41 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

If your using techstream, there's a pdf in this thread for the NX. The instructions read:
Rear Brake Pad Replacement Mode
1. After removing the rear wheel, use the Techstream to enter Rear Brake Pad Replacement Mode (Chassis / Electric Parking Brake / Utility / Check Mode)
2. Follow the Techstream instructions and select “Next”
3. Press and hold the brake pedal, then push and hold the parking brake switch down for 5 seconds or more
o Hold the brake pedal until the system enters pad replacement mode
1. If the brake pedal is not depressed, the cylinder boot may become twisted
o In pad replacement mode,
1. The parking brake indicator flashes 4 times per second initially
2. Then the parking brake actuators operate
3. After the actuators stop, the parking brake indicator flashes 1 time per second
4. This operation may set DTC C13A7/43. Clear the DTCs after rear brake pad replacement is complete.
5. After brake pad replacement, set the parking brake with the switch
CAUTION: As with any brake replacement, after service there will be clearance between the brake pads and the rotors, and the brake pedal will feel softer. After replacing the brake pads, depress the brake pedal several times and check the clearance and brake pedal feel.
Old 07-10-19, 10:22 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did this. Used this thread, YouTube and Chilton's for reference.

One of the videos shows that the guy uses a powerprobe with a brake piston tool to retract the piston (
), while another shows the guy taking the parking brake motor assembly and winding the gear with a T40 torx and using the brake piston tool (
).

I pondered over both options overnight to figure out what the best approach is. I didn't have a power probe so I used a 12v lawn mower battery instead. While I liked the idea of winding the gear manually, Chilton's says that the o-rings are unusable and need to be replaced once they are opened and I know that would be a hassle to do for a part that would be a special order part from the dealer. The exact words are "CAUTION: The parking brake actuator O-ring is not reusable and must be replaced if the actuator is ever removed. "

Last edited by KevMaster; 07-10-19 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:10 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen a video online that suggests to just keep the vehicle turned ON so that the e-brake can be retracted while changing the rear brake pads. Not sure of the reliability or how good this recommendation is though.
Old 07-13-19, 11:15 AM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I've seen a video online that suggests to just keep the vehicle turned ON so that the e-brake can be retracted while changing the rear brake pads. Not sure of the reliability or how good this recommendation is though.
Saw a guy mention that in one of the videos. My concern would be the electronics on the car more than anything else.

When I did mine, I took the battery off then disconnected the connectors from the calipers.
Old 12-14-19, 03:21 PM
Jackate
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic parking Brake

Hello, I was wondering which way would be best to do DIY rear brake pad replacement on 2016 Lexus RX 350? There is not much information out on the internet! I know of only two ways I would prefer to do it and that is with a scan tool or with Toyota Techstream.
Can anyone confirm this is the right procedure using Tech Stream.
1. Turn on the ignition switch
2. Release the electronic parking brake.
Steps using Techstream
1. Execute "EPB/PKB Release 1" to release the electronic parking brake.
2. Execute "EPB/PKB Release Control", the electronic parking brake move to the assembly position
3. Replace the rear brake pads.
4. After the replacement is completed, execute "EPB/PKB Lock1" and the electronic parking brake will return to normal position.
Here is the link

Thank you for any help
Kind Regards
Jeff

Old 01-02-20, 05:52 AM
Gtgerald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX f sport

Has any mechanic out there changed rear rotors and pads on the new Rx? Many people told me you have to use a scan tool to retract the parking brake and the piston. If so, can someone upload a video on how they used the scan tool to do so? Thanks
Old 01-02-20, 08:06 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Interested as well
Old 01-02-20, 09:03 AM
shq
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a few videos on YouTube how to do it without scan tool.
Old 01-02-20, 05:40 PM
satek
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine with a 12v battery.
Old 02-03-20, 03:33 PM
PETERPHAN8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Rear Brake Pads .. I did it..

Hello Gents,
Replacing the rear brake pads is the pain, but I did it. It took me 5 hours to figure out how to do it even with Techstream Software. It is kinda scary at first, because the car making all kind of noise in the rear, but I still can't even put the piston back in to install the brake. I found the the trick. The trick is disconnect the Electric cable that control the brake, after that you can push the Piston back in. in. I hope that will help .

Thanks,
Peter
Old 02-03-20, 03:59 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

even with the tech stream you still need to dosconnect the cable and push the piston?
Old 02-04-20, 06:25 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by satek
I did mine with a 12v battery.
do you recall which pin was + and - (i.e., so the motor retracts rather than extends out)

or you just tested it to see which one worked?
Old 02-04-20, 07:46 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Just on a side note, when I did my rear brakes, I did not disconnect any cables but I did disconnect the parking brake actuator connector wire (if thats what you are referring too). I used techstream to put the vehicle into service mode, I heard the rear parking brake retract and once that process was completed, I had no issue removing the pads and replacing them. It's been 3 months since the process and I've had no issues with brakes or my automatic parking brake. The instructions posted in the NX pdf are "similar" but not exact on the RX in terms of service mode but it's fairly close. When the brakes are in service mode it will seem very daunting as a lot of lights are on (on the dash) and the brake light flashes and all sorts of "scary" messages but once your done and you take the vehicle out of service mode all returns to normal. There is a procedure posted a few posts above this one which appears to be the one I followed, its been a few months so I'm not 100% but it looks like it.

Last edited by kmiller882; 03-12-20 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-04-20)
Old 02-06-20, 07:38 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

WTF! In my first life I was a Rural Mail Carrier and have changed brakes in the road, so happy when disks came out .... could change in about 10 minutes. Glad I didn't have a Lexus!

I was turned off by an "automatic electric parking brake"..... now I know why.

Every time I work on a piece of equipment I wish I had the designer there beside me so I could hit him with a hammer!

Are cars becoming "throw aways" like washers and refrigerators??????

Rant over, fell off soap box.
Old 02-06-20, 08:12 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 149 Posts

bsekf, I hear you! I've been working on cars for 53 years now and it keeps getting worse every year. If you don't have thousands of dollars worth of tools, your out of luck, plus an electronics degree. Speaking of mail carrier, I'm always getting other people's mail. The carries where I live don't know how to read, they are more concerned in finishing their route!

Quick Reply: Brake pad replacement