RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New Car with 150 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 06:09 AM
Anipilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default more than 315 miles!

I had a similar experience but worse at my lexus dealer. I also bought the F-Sport RX 450h as we were looking for many of the new options. Between customizing one to all the options and buying one from the dealer inventory seemed very competitive. There was a loaded option sitting in one dealer's lot BUT the vehicle had 315 miles clocked already. We were told the same reasons as ones mentioned on this thread citing promotional events, apparently only the best looking & loaded ones are sent to promotions. The mileage was taken into consideration when we negotiated the deal and we felt the price was good too.

The dealer also has very good reviews on most websites so we went ahead. During the walk around the car looked pristine and interior was also flawless. As soon as we drove out we stopped to buy a toll tag. While looking for our buyer registration tag, we found that there was a previous buyer's dispatch and enform registration details in the glove box registered to this car. We were shocked that a reputed dealer could sell a pre-owned car no matter what ownership duration and mileage it was. There are enough details on the Enform that we could actually contact the previous buyer.

On contacting the dealership, they said it was a prematurely aborted sale, the car was never sold. We even got other reasons like it was sold 'virtually' to complete the monthly numbers, the sales folk put the wrong tag number in this car by mistake, the potential buyer decided to buy a different vehicle and other yarn. As we had test driven the vehicle to our satisfaction and it ticked all the boxes and had no obvious damage from the inside or while driving, we decided to rest the matter. However this made me realize no car dealer can ever claim to be trustworthy even it is a luxury brand like Lexus in a big metropolitan city.
Old 05-06-17, 12:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Anipilot

On contacting the dealership, they said it was a prematurely aborted sale, the car was never sold. We even got other reasons like it was sold 'virtually' to complete the monthly numbers, the sales folk put the wrong tag number in this car by mistake, the potential buyer decided to buy a different vehicle and other yarn. As we had test driven the vehicle to our satisfaction and it ticked all the boxes and had no obvious damage from the inside or while driving, we decided to rest the matter. However this made me realize no car dealer can ever claim to be trustworthy even it is a luxury brand like Lexus in a big metropolitan city.
I'm curious. Does your title show that you are the 1st owner or that you are a second owner? If you are shown as a 2nd owner and if the car was previously titled, it was, in fact, a "used car" regardless of whether it had 350 miles or 3 miles on the odometer, and that would upset me.

On the other hand, I think that it may well be the practice of (many) dealerships to start prepping the car, activating the Enform subscription, etc. as soon as a tentative sale of the car is agreed to, and, if something happened causing the deal to fall through before it was completed, it would be possible for the car to appear to have had a previous owner even if that was not actually the case. I know that, after I bought my last new Lexus last fall (with about 10 miles on the odometer), the Sirius XM trial subscription expired about 5 days before I expected it to expire because, when I agreed to a deal over the phone, they prepped the car, including activating the XM subscription, even though I didn't actually take delivery of the car until 5 days later.
Old 05-06-17, 06:47 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Anipilot
I had a similar experience but worse at my lexus dealer. I also bought the F-Sport RX 450h as we were looking for many of the new options. Between customizing one to all the options and buying one from the dealer inventory seemed very competitive. There was a loaded option sitting in one dealer's lot BUT the vehicle had 315 miles clocked already. We were told the same reasons as ones mentioned on this thread citing promotional events, apparently only the best looking & loaded ones are sent to promotions. The mileage was taken into consideration when we negotiated the deal and we felt the price was good too.

The dealer also has very good reviews on most websites so we went ahead. During the walk around the car looked pristine and interior was also flawless. As soon as we drove out we stopped to buy a toll tag. While looking for our buyer registration tag, we found that there was a previous buyer's dispatch and enform registration details in the glove box registered to this car. We were shocked that a reputed dealer could sell a pre-owned car no matter what ownership duration and mileage it was. There are enough details on the Enform that we could actually contact the previous buyer.

check the car fax, it would have DMV details indicating how many owners.
Old 05-07-17, 04:17 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The RX we got for my wife had 125 miles or so as well. They said because they transferred it from another dealership. I didn't really think anything about it although it is slightly annoying, but we bought it anyway.
Old 05-07-17, 06:21 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StephyKay
Would you buy a new car with 150 miles on it? Would it be a deal breaker? I had my dealership trade cars with another dealer in a different state and it came in today with 150 miles on it. They just noticed it and let me know, I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow. My SA said they used it as a promotion car for a golf tournament, so that's where the miles came from. What are your thoughts?
I bought one of those promotion golf tournament cars listed as new in 2016 (2016 model). Had 35 miles on it, lol. Negotiated $5,500 off of it plus the $3,500 rebate for a total of $9,000 off MSRP.

Edit: Sorry, just realized that I was in the RX forum and I bought an ES 350 that had been used in a golf tournament. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-08-17, 06:46 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New car 150 miles.

Your decision... you have to live with it. If it was what I was looking for, I would buy it. You still get your full warranty (in service date). Do not see it as a problem. I have owned 26 new cars. Some have had 1 mile on the odometer. Some that were dealer swaps had up to 229 miles on them.
Old 05-10-17, 02:16 PM
Anipilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm curious. Does your title show that you are the 1st owner or that you are a second owner? If you are shown as a 2nd owner and if the car was previously titled, it was, in fact, a "used car" regardless of whether it had 350 miles or 3 miles on the odometer, and that would upset me.

On the other hand, I think that it may well be the practice of (many) dealerships to start prepping the car, activating the Enform subscription, etc. as soon as a tentative sale of the car is agreed to, and, if something happened causing the deal to fall through before it was completed, it would be possible for the car to appear to have had a previous owner even if that was not actually the case. I know that, after I bought my last new Lexus last fall (with about 10 miles on the odometer), the Sirius XM trial subscription expired about 5 days before I expected it to expire because, when I agreed to a deal over the phone, they prepped the car, including activating the XM subscription, even though I didn't actually take delivery of the car until 5 days later.
The dealership applied for the title by getting us to sign the form at the time we made the purchase, so I suppose Lexus would not allow any owner to drive out of the lot without applying for the title?
The title application has the dealership as the owner in the application form. I suppose the golf championships story is probably true.
Old 06-05-17, 10:49 AM
guan01
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I found out so far when I walk in and ask for this color and this packages, the dealer does not have the car in stock.
What they did was yes, we have it, and they look at all the dealer within 150 miles, if they find one, they will let you know.
If you agreed with the price the next step they did was the Inventory Manager contact the other dealer's Inventory Manger and do a swap.
When they agree to swap, they have two options, one use flatbed truck, which cost me $400 or drives the Lexus 150 miles back.

What you see was perhaps the swap car they got.