RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Navigation, are most buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 09:36 PM
SirLance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a 2005 RX330 w/ Navigation

Originally Posted by lesz
You are welcome to believe whatever you want, but I'll choose to believe what used car managers at Lexus dealers say. Further, if you check the websites of Lexus dealers and look at their used car inventories for various Lexus models, you will see a significant pricing difference between navigation-equipped cars and those without navigation. If the dealers know that they are going to have to sell a non-navigation car for a much lower price, you know that their trade-in offers for those non-navigation cars are also going to be lower.

While I'll freely admit that the navigation programs of phone apps have frequently updated data bases, with Lexus navigation systems, instead of using the data base on the SD card in the car, you can use the system with the free Enform Destination Assist app, and the data base for that app, like with phone apps, is also continuously updated. Further, a large number of buyers do value having a large screen continuously available and in an easy-to-view location, and that is especially true with luxury brands. As long as some percentage of buyers will not even consider buying a Lexus without navigation, that means lower demand for non-navigation cars, and that translates into lower resale or trade-in value for those cars.
I totally agree as I was one of those people who were only interested in purchasing a used RX330 w/ navigation. I didn't even consider anything that didn't have that included. Now I've only been using this for about a day, so I've hardly been using it yet, but so far i'm not all that impressed. I had a 5 hour trip driving home and i literally had the navigation guidance going at the same time that i had google maps going. I found the google map guidance was better to listen to. However, it was easier to see the screen of the navigation since i didn't have a phone holder set up. I may like the navigation more as i learn more about it, but i would agree that the alot of the value for me was the perceived value in having it as an option should I decide to resell this someday. I don't know of anyone who would discount buying a Lexus b/c it has Navigation but I don't doubt there are LOTS of people like myself who wouldn't consider buying a Lexus unless it had navigation.
Old 11-14-17, 12:52 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the NAV. I love the large screen. I bet the old drives who can barely see will love the size of the maps The problem is that it is a piece of junk. Its a bad system. Period. The voice recognition is a piece of junk too. Lexus really missed the mark & was already behind a few competitors when the all new redesigned RX in 2016 came out.
Old 11-14-17, 02:29 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Got the nav on my waiting to be built 17 rx450, question about the nav .
I thought I heard you are abe to send destinations to the vehicle somehow. Is that using the Lexus app or a different one?
thanks, I'm also looking for screen mirroring option, but it might be just as easy having a dash mount. I currently use a garmin friction flexible base one for my s7 phone. Concerned it might leave a shiny mark on the new cars dash. I do love it being just to the right of the steering wheel.

since I have y'all here, on the voice guidance audio level, it didn't seem to coral ate to audio volumn, as in if the radio volumn goes up, voice goes up too. I did find the setting to adjust like 1-5 or something in the settings.
thanks much for the time. Had a new loaded 450 demo for overnight a week or so ago, mine gets built the end of this month.​​​​​​[
Old 11-14-17, 06:11 PM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lexus has nav and I’m happy with the convenience. Whether I’ll ever update it is another question entirely.

in 2008 I bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler with nav. Then I discovered that my house which was built in 2007 wasn’t in the map. Neither was my street. I googled my longitude and latitude coordinates and entered them as my Guide me Home address. Still own the Jeep and I’ve never updated the nav.

Last edited by Greysmoke; 11-14-17 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-16-17, 07:49 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The old lexus navigation technology has me torn because everything else about the car is great, but the nav user experience definitely needs to be updated (Lexus is already aware of it). I would personally not opt for the Nav if I could do it all over again.
Old 11-17-17, 05:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

For those who are not happy with the in-car navigation system, I'll repeat what I think I said earlier in this thread.

I suggest searching for and setting destinations by using the Destination Assist app in the free Enform App Suite. Its data base in continuously updated and is, therefore, more current than the data base that is in the car, and its its voice command function works better than that of the in-car system.

After having had 2 different Lexus vehicles with Enform, I've become convinced that anyone who is not using the Enform Destination Assist is not getting as much out of the navigation system's capabilities as he or she could be getting.
The following 3 users liked this post by lesz:
mcomer (11-29-17), ravenuer (11-20-17), SirLance (11-17-17)
Old 11-23-17, 04:03 PM
S4cruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

We just purchased one without Nav. Didn't want the nav but the 12.3 screen does look better. The deal we had worked with the local dealer didn't make sense to pass and find one with nav.

Does the beat sonic mirroring deal work with the non nav version of the rx? It would be nice to have the map on the screen vs just some static image.
Old 11-27-17, 08:28 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I've been learning and evaluating the nav system for the past week.
The car nav system is useless, however if you use the Enform App Suite it's another story.
The voice commands are clear and accurate. I like how the voice commands start immediately, sometimes that's not the case with my cell phone. The driving instructions are frequent, pleasant and understandable.
It takes using it a few times to feel comfortable with the system, what at first seems complicated becomes simple with a bit of experience.
I like having the map displayed in the 12.3" screen, the entire screen.
I like the turn arrows in the HUD, nice touch.
The directions are accurate but limited, your phone has many more features such as alternate routes, more accurate traffic info (verbal and visual), etc.
The biggest negative I find is it' so cumbersome compared to a cell phone which is so much faster to use especially when driving. I saw a cab driver, yes they still exist, finding destinations, giving instructions to the only other cab driver in town, in essence running his company while he was driving and using his cell phone.
However if you have the time to set a destination while driving, the nav system works quite well and I plan to use it more often. That's just my opinion, YMMV.
Old 11-28-17, 05:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
I've been learning and evaluating the nav system for the past week.
The car nav system is useless, however if you use the Enform App Suite it's another story.
The voice commands are clear and accurate. I like how the voice commands start immediately, sometimes that's not the case with my cell phone. The driving instructions are frequent, pleasant and understandable.
It takes using it a few times to feel comfortable with the system, what at first seems complicated becomes simple with a bit of experience.
I like having the map displayed in the 12.3" screen, the entire screen.
I like the turn arrows in the HUD, nice touch.
The directions are accurate but limited, your phone has many more features such as alternate routes, more accurate traffic info (verbal and visual), etc.
The biggest negative I find is it' so cumbersome compared to a cell phone which is so much faster to use especially when driving. I saw a cab driver, yes they still exist, finding destinations, giving instructions to the only other cab driver in town, in essence running his company while he was driving and using his cell phone.
However if you have the time to set a destination while driving, the nav system works quite well and I plan to use it more often. That's just my opinion, YMMV.
The car nav system is useless - This comment is comical
Old 11-28-17, 07:58 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The car nav system is useless - This comment is comical
As I said, this it my opinion. You might want to post your opinion as to why you use the in-car nav system and what you like about it. Or you can write an insightful review of the nav system, whatever.
Or you can just use the word comical and leave it at that.
Old 11-29-17, 05:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

You certainly are entitled to your opinion about the RX nav system, but I'm not sure what your opinion is. You start by saying "the car nav system is useless". You end it by saying ....."the nav system works quite well and I plan to use it more often...".
Old 11-29-17, 07:42 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts

You thought only D. Trump could contradict himself in a single sentence?
Old 11-29-17, 08:59 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
You certainly are entitled to your opinion about the RX nav system, but I'm not sure what your opinion is. You start by saying "the car nav system is useless". You end it by saying ....."the nav system works quite well and I plan to use it more often...".
"The car nav system is useless, however if you use the Enform App Suite it's another story."
That's my first sentence. Now read post #51 by lesz. He's the one who gave me the idea to try the Enform App Suite.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-30-17)
Old 11-29-17, 09:10 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I will NOT buy a Lexus (or any luxury vehicles) without the Navi. For me it is all about the "Complete" package. Yes, the navi on my phone is much better and up-to-date but when I spend $40k+ on a vehicle, another $2k is not a big deal.

Would you eat a $40 steak and drink water or your favorite wine?
Old 11-29-17, 09:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Folks, we already have a thread about Lexus navigation system here. Let's stick with answering the question posted by the OP and include a brief reason why you did/didn't for the benefit of others like GoHuskers just did.

Quick Reply: Navigation, are most buying?