RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Navigation, are most buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 01:13 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
My enform subscription has terminated, how do I access the free enform app suite and destination search.
I have downloaded the lexus enform app suite, there are many options, destination search is not one of them.
on your phone, or the car? Phone app has it listed. Android here.
On my phone, it is the 1st box, top left. Cant misss it. Find what you are looking for, then save.
Then in the vehicle, enform, saved destination or something, update list or download, sorry don't recall the exact wording, but it will make sense.

The car also has destination search, under destination on the nav part, i think its called web search.? Haven't tried this way, it might work. Sorry, just got my car less than 2 weeks ago.
Hope this helps
Old 12-30-17, 03:23 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank You JSracer, It seems I still have enform active and thanks for the save destinations clue, however it's just so much easier to use the cell phone and have the directions over the car audio system.
If I have time while driving, the app suite works for me. Looks like I need to become more familiar with the nav app when enform ends, I do not plan to renew the enform subscription.
Old 12-30-17, 05:30 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

I think enform app is free? The remote costs money, and the live directions helper people cost money too.
I could be wrong though,

I like having audio source choices, that complicates using my phone. Guess i also think the hud is cool for directions, but that might fadexoverctime.
Old 02-23-19, 08:10 AM
Enok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Navigation package worth it?

I'm looking to lease a new RX 350 and wondering if it's worth spending the extra 2.1K$ for getting the navigation package. Reading the forum here and online, it seems like most folks hate the infotainment system on Lexus.
Given that the navi package just adds a bigger screen is it really worth 2K ? I see that it also comes with 12 speakers for audio..are these speakers that much better than the standard 9 speakers?
Current owners please advice? If it had supported carplay or android auto then the upgrade would have been worth it. But I'm not sure now.
Old 02-23-19, 09:10 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If Lexus had Apple Car Play I wouldn’t have gotten. I think RX will finally have in 20 or 21.
Old 02-23-19, 09:10 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

No, it is not worth it, but the navigation is more convenient than Garmin or the phone. It is not as up to date, but we get by. Toyotas Enform/Entune is awful for music. It is cumbersome to use and has too many limitations to be of any real value. I have hooked up my old IPOD and for the most part it works OK. I did have a USB stick with music, but the Enform file limitations are unworkable. I see that Camrys now have Apple Play, so maybe someday all Toyotas will have Apple and Android. I hope that day comes before I am in the dirt.
Old 02-23-19, 10:25 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
You will get used to it if you use it. If you start cussing at it, then not being patient to learn.
Skip voice commands, program your destinations on app then sync in the car.
Many options aren't available unless actually in a route.
How do you "program your destinations on app then sync". i remember looking into this and even asking my dealer for help and getting nowhere. Like it was "something that used to exist" i think they said. If it can be done, please respond with fairly detailed instructions including the exact app since I believe there are several versions of apps. It would really be nice to be able to do that at times. I have an android phone if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Old 10-05-19, 08:28 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RX 350 Navigation display/etc Assessment

These comments are a result of having a 2018 RX-350L with GPS.

I recently took a flight and rented a car. I was upgraded to a very nice Chrysler 300 with GPS. I had carried along my own Garmin GPS for convenience but since the rental car GPS had no extra charge, I thought I'd give it a try.

The Chrysler display is touch screen, multifunction (climate, audio, phone, GPS, etc.). Operation was essentially intuitive, with little in the way of a learning curve.

My wife plugged her iFone into a USB port and the screen immediately recognized the phone and provided an intuitive easy to use interface.

The map was easy to read, and the GPS was extremely easy to use.

Summary: after two days in the rental car I was much better at using the display than in using my RX-350 display for nearly two years! I vastly prefer the Chrysler approach, as the Lexus approach is appalling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Curmudgeon:
17450 (10-05-19), ravenuer (10-05-19)
Old 10-07-19, 10:59 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my RX 350 early in the year and told the seller point blank that I did not want navigation. It costs too much, it's not worth the cost, and my iPhone does more and gives me more information than the Lexus navigation does. Additionally, the ridiculously high cost to update the navigation maps was not worth it to me. I did inquire about updating my wife's maps on her ES and he said the cost was $500.00. No thanks. Maybe someday but not now. I use my iPhone and my Gamin GPS devices which are posted on my windshield. They both do the job and do it well. Again, with more information that I can actually use than that of the Lexus navigation. Excellent points are made above to justify getting the navigation but it's not for me.
Old 10-07-19, 11:12 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

2 years make a BIG difference in technology! It's not a fair comparison. One should compare same year vehicles to be fair.
Technology is one of the reasons for the big depreciation in tech heavy cars.
Old 10-07-19, 11:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

TBH if your buying a MY20, from my understanding Android Auto and CarPlay are standard so your getting the best and latest in nav software free with your phone. So it essentially boils down to whether or not you want the bigger screen and/or if you venture into remote parts of land where a car based system has a infinitely better gps reception system.

If your in a pre-MY20, then determine if the non nav system is compatible with the aftermarket android/carplay systems available and go from there. Again screen size is also a primary factory