RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question on S-Flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 12:55 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
That 60 minutes text is copy/paste right out of the manual. It's a few pages beyond the S-Flow description for some reason.
That's a very long interval, that's why I thought you may have meant seconds
Old 07-20-19, 05:07 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The theory behind the Split Flow feature is that when you are alone in the car it will
direct little or no HVAC to the rear or passenger seats. Weight over approx. 40 lbs
in the passenger seat will enable the SIR (airbag) system and the Airbag ON light
will illuminate which brings on the HVAC to the right vents. The default setting is to
Enable S-Flow when the RX starts, dealer can use a Techtool to change default to OFF.

Are you driving with the Drive Mode in "ECO"? Unlike the "Sport" setting, ECO stays on
after an engine restart and affects the HVAC output considerably.

Do you have the air vent(s) other than the drivers closed down? S-Flow is intended to
restrict the air flow without you having to reach and bend but you or your (apparently rare)
passengers can close them off. If closed you will get more air and air noise to the driver.

Does your parking environment lend itself to leaving the sunroof vented? If you are not going
to get dust or leaves floating in, consider that. The Lexus Remote Start App will show the
status of sunroof open if you are inside and it starts to rain...can not close it remotely however

Another Techtool setting to consider if not already enabled, Remote Window Rolldown lets you
press and hold the key fob "unlock" button long enough to partially or fully open the windows
and sunroof. Vents quite a lot of hot air by the time you get in.
While the S-Flow button is gone on my 2019 the S-Flow is still present. It was beastly hot the other day and I got into the car alone and noticed no air was coming from the rear vents. I picked up the kids and suddenly there was airflow back there - I'm guessing opening the rear door triggered it.

The fact is the entire volume of air within the cabin needs to be cooled for optimal comfort and when S-Flow is activated ⅔ of the cabin has reduced airflow. This is a "feature" I can't believe Lexus wasted a single $1 developing - the rationale from the start is flawed especially since I can't tell the difference in airflow in the front seat with S-Flow on or off - in other words it doesn't feel any colder or blow any harder when S-Flow is diverting airflow just to the front so now it's just restricting airflow to 2/3 of the car. Brilliant!

I want a job working for a car manufacture where engineers present stupid ideas like this and I just ask why and then smack them in the head.

Last edited by PWMDMD; 07-20-19 at 05:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (07-20-19)
Old 07-20-19, 02:41 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
While the S-Flow button is gone on my 2019 the S-Flow is still present. It was beastly hot the other day and I got into the car alone and noticed no air was coming from the rear vents. I picked up the kids and suddenly there was airflow back there - I'm guessing opening the rear door triggered it.

The fact is the entire volume of air within the cabin needs to be cooled for optimal comfort and when S-Flow is activated ⅔ of the cabin has reduced airflow. This is a "feature" I can't believe Lexus wasted a single $1 developing - the rationale from the start is flawed especially since I can't tell the difference in airflow in the front seat with S-Flow on or off - in other words it doesn't feel any colder or blow any harder when S-Flow is diverting airflow just to the front so now it's just restricting airflow to 2/3 of the car. Brilliant!

I want a job working for a car manufacture where engineers present stupid ideas like this and I just ask why and then smack them in the head.
I overwhelmingly agree with you regarding the useless, in my opinion, s-flow system, however I have a '17 and with a/c on and the fan on high there is significantly more airflow when the s-flow is off. You can clearly hear and feel the difference and there is airflow to the rear.
Old 07-22-19, 11:32 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It is really inconsistent how the rear door opening controls the s-flow. More than once, with passengers in back seats, the s-flow was still on, and I had to push the button to give them air.
Old 07-22-19, 12:35 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by guxu
It is really inconsistent how the rear door opening controls the s-flow. More than once, with passengers in back seats, the s-flow was still on, and I had to push the button to give them air.
I think that you have to push the s-flow button regardless, opening the rear door only doesn't activate it.
It may be that once deactivated the back door opening will allow the flow to take place, but am not certain.
Old 08-29-19, 04:13 PM
wouters
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control-sflow

How can I permanently disable the SFLOW feature of the Climate Control system in my 2019 Lexus RX350. Totally useless.
Old 05-05-20, 03:40 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Today my Lexus dealership disabled the Auto S-Flow in my '17 RX at no charge.

I tried doing it myself on Carista but it's not an option. I called Carista technical support and they confirmed as much.
Old 06-05-20, 05:25 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Default 2020 F Sport A/C Delay?

Its already 108° heat index in Oklahoma and our RX a/c seems to either have a long delay after starting or after traveling from an idle position. It appears quite a bit longer then any other vehicles we have owned.

Anyone else have the same problem or maybe know why?

Thx
David
Old 06-05-20, 07:49 AM
rx45oh
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Turn off S-flow will help cool down quicker.
The following users liked this post:
BiggerOkie (06-08-20)
Old 06-08-20, 04:05 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

TYVM.....I didn't even know about this "feature", if you want to call it that. It might work well in other climates, but for us we want all we can get right from the start. It absolutely worked rx450h, thx again.
Old 06-08-20, 05:49 AM
Cocal
Racer

The S Flow is off by default, you have to turn it on every time you want to cool/heat the rear passengers.
Old 06-08-20, 08:19 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
The S Flow is off by default, you have to turn it on every time you want to cool/heat the rear passengers.
By turning s-flow off you get a/c to the rear whether there are passengers in the rear or not. That's how I keep my dog cool in the hot weather.
Old 06-08-20, 09:54 AM
Cocal
Racer

Yes that's what I said, but the S flow is always off UNLESS you press the button and the green light goes off.
I was corrected when I thought that the green light meant the the A/C was on for the rear seats.
Old 07-14-20, 11:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Default What Does “S-Flow” Mean?

Why is it called “S-Flow”? And is there an easier way to get A/C or heat to the rear passengers than futzing through the menu screen? Where’s the hard button as in my’17R (I now have a 2020)? Any other “nuances” that make this easier?

Last edited by daryll40; 07-14-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 11:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Energy saving airflow control. With S-Flow on, doesn't it detect passengers and direct air automatically? My wife has it on her 17RX, we never touch the control and it seems to work properly.

Quick Reply: Question on S-Flow