RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Roof rack for 2017 base model RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 03:37 PM
uhaveit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie -Question on accessory

we just purchased our first Lexus and it will be my wife's daily driver.
Our RX is a base model with minimal options and it did not come with a roof rails (no premium package). i was checking around online to find OEM roof rails but in vain.

want to get experts feedback if OEM roof rails are available for self install.
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-13-17, 09:25 PM
shchoius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack for 2017 base model RX350?

Hello,

I bought a 2017 base model RX350. The base model doesn't have factory installed flush rails on the top. See the picture. What's the best roof rack for the base model without the flush rails?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-14-17, 06:44 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Well you don't want to buy the flush mount rails from Lexus because they want an arm and two legs for them.

What kind of roof rack are you looking for? What do you plan to load in it or on it?
Old 06-14-17, 07:54 AM
shchoius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Well you don't want to buy the flush mount rails from Lexus because they want an arm and two legs for them.

What kind of roof rack are you looking for? What do you plan to load in it or on it?
Thanks! Actually, I prefer to install the flush mount. Does Lexus service center install it? I want to carry ski/snowboard on the roof.
Old 06-14-17, 09:37 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by shchoius
Thanks! Actually, I prefer to install the flush mount. Does Lexus service center install it? I want to carry ski/snowboard on the roof.

Yes the dealers sell the rails and will install them. Give your dealer a call as they might give you a better deal since you just bought the car. Once installed there are a number of options. Check out other threads, lots of good ideas on what works...and pictures!
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
ggebhardt (06-14-17), shchoius (06-14-17)
Old 06-15-17, 09:16 AM
shchoius
Driver School Candidate

Today I stopped by a Lexus service center. The advisor said that the flush mount for 2016/2017 is not available. He doesn't have when it will be available at this moment. What could be the best roof rack without the flush mount? Thanks.
Old 06-15-17, 10:34 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Have you tried your dealership on getting you the part. They might even have it in stock.
When I was looking for the OEM running board, I asked MyLParts.com if they carry the running board because I don't see it on their website. They replied back with "We don't carry it as it's too big to ship". Really? I called my dealership and they said they actually have one set in stock. I picked it up the same day.
The following users liked this post:
shchoius (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 10:59 AM
shchoius
Driver School Candidate

Not running boards. I'm looking for flush roof rails for 2017 Lexus. Or OEM roof rail without Lexus original flush roof rails.
Old 06-15-17, 11:16 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Yes. Understood. I was stating the running board as an expample of what your dealership might carry.
Old 06-15-17, 11:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Today I stopped by a Lexus service center. The advisor said that the flush mount for 2016/2017 is not available. He doesn't have when it will be available at this moment. What could be the best roof rack without the flush mount? Thanks.
You need to see the parts manager at your Lexus dealership. There is no way they should not be ordering these for you.
Old 06-15-17, 12:26 PM
FastFord
Racer

I can go pick them up at my dealer and send them to you...Yes they are available. Talk to the parts guy...That would mean if you smashed your roof they couldn't replace the rails?

Here is the info....

Side rails...

Left 63470-0E180
Right 63460-0E180

Cushions

Right front 63486-0E080
Left Front 63487-0E070
Right rear 63488-0E080
Left rear 63489-0E070

Then you need 6 seals 63437-0E0760
And 6 nuts 90178-08003

This is going to cost a small fortune and they need to remove the headliner.

I think you are probably going down another route at this point. Maybe someone makes the old fashioned suction cup things my Dad used when I was a kid. Then it got strapped down. You might want to consider a trailer hitch type mounted device.

See below, It's a Canadian site, but you get the point.

https://autotruckdepot.ca/products/thule-tram-9033-ski-snowboard-carrier?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=7537914821&keyword=&gclid=CNWZgerKwNQCFZeEaQodhdsK9A

I'll keep looking for you!

Here's another place. This is the bike rack and I think you need that to add the ski rack...check it out.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../TH934XTR.html

Last edited by FastFord; 06-15-17 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
ericsan13 (06-15-17), shchoius (06-15-17)
Old 06-16-17, 10:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

Hey I just noticed you have an overhead storage area above your RX...From the angle of the picture it looks like it might be low enough to have contact with the tailgate when you open it. I am only saying this because....Been there, done that!
Old 10-24-17, 08:31 PM
Moz
Driver School Candidate

Default 2017 rx 350 base model roof rack

So I purchased a new base model 2017 rx 350 4 days ago. The salesman assured me that a base model could be fitted with a roof rack. He even threw it in for "free." I made the mistake of taking the car home without having the roof rack installed first. Today, I dropped the car off for roof rack installation. They called me back by stating that they cant install the roof rails on the base model. They claim that the 2017 base model doesn't even have the screw holes for roof rail installation. This means that if I they buy the parts above, they cant install it unless they drill holes into the car. I cant lift the plastic strips to verify this myself because they have literally been glued on.

Does anyone know if this is true or are they taking me for a ride? One thing is certain, I'll never buy lexus again.

What's really frustrating is that there's NO information about this on the web aside from this unconfirmed thread. Can anyone please help me?

Is the roof rack installation only possible on the moon roof or panoramic?

Thanks
Old 10-24-17, 08:35 PM
Moz
Driver School Candidate

So I purchased a new base model 2017 rx 350 4 days ago. The salesman assured me that a base model could be fitted with a roof rack. He even threw it in for "free." I made the mistake of taking the car home without having the roof rack installed first. Today, I dropped the car off for roof rack installation. They called me back by stating that they cant install the roof rails on the base model. They claim that the 2017 base model doesn't even have the screw holes for roof rail installation. This means that if I they buy the parts above, they cant install it unless they drill holes into the car. I cant lift the plastic strips to verify this myself because they have literally been glued on.

Does anyone know if this is true or are they taking me for a ride? One thing is certain, I'll never buy lexus again.

What's really frustrating is that there's NO information about this on the web aside from this unconfirmed thread. Can anyone please help me?

Is the roof rack installation only possible on the moon roof or panoramic?

Thanks
Old 10-24-17, 09:35 PM
Moz
Driver School Candidate

I found the answer to my own question. I'm posting this to help people who are in my place.

You CANNOT install flush rails (not cross bars) on the 2017 RX 350 that's without a moonroof or panoramic roof. Lexus has not provided pre-drilled holes for the installation. I found this out by personally pulling up the rubber strip on the roof, so I'm absolutely certain about this.

In the meantime, lets see what the dealer does about this. I need the roof rack because I surf.

Quick Reply: Roof rack for 2017 base model RX350?