RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Sigh

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 07:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Unhappy Sigh

Like with our 3RX just 3 months in, now 5 months in with the 4RX, and this happened.

Old 06-23-17, 07:37 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Noooo, what happened!?! It seems like just yesterday you posted those pictures of you RX splashing in puddles. I hope everyone involved is fine!
Old 06-23-17, 10:25 PM
Skygc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very sorry to see that. Hope everybody is fine.
Old 06-24-17, 03:03 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Ouch, hopefully its mostly cosmetic. Hope no one was
hurt.
Old 06-24-17, 03:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Oh no! Everyone ok?
Old 06-24-17, 03:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to see. Did the airbags go off?
Old 06-24-17, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks everyone. No one got hurt which is the most important part. No airbags deployed. Collision was low speed ~20 kph onto a '10 Rav4 that was going ~40 kph.

My wife dropped off my daughter at school, and well, add multiple distractions like heavy rain, parked cars, kids, etc, (not that it was justified), she failed to yield coming out of the school driveway and T-boned the Rav4.

What is surprising though is the damage the Rav4 sustained considering the low speed impact. The RX's 4400 lbs surely is a factor. Based on the officer who arrived on the scene, it likely will be considered totaled due to the airbags deployed and the twisted frame.

As for DarthRx, yes, the repair is cosmetic (thankfully), but ouch parts are pricey from my initial search. Hood, bumper, bumper cover, grille, left triple-L light, fog lamp, washer module, parking sensor, etc all need replacement. From rough math from lexuspartsdirect.ca, just the full FSport bumper adds up to over $3K. Add the rest and I'm guesstimating easy $6-7K in parts plus labor probably 9-10K repair bill.

Will know by end of next week.
Old 06-24-17, 07:39 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

As long as EVERYONE is ok. Who cares about a car its the life that matters.

But now that we moved on from that, can we get some deets on your lexus safety system plus? Did it alert ? Do you know if it engaged?
Old 06-24-17, 07:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Agree with above and want to know if the safety stuff worked. Maybe going to slow for it to engage.

Also in the windshield washer fluid container that is exposed there. I am wanting to crimp off the headlight washers and I see lots of hoses there.

Glad ad no one was hurt.
Old 06-24-17, 08:11 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to see your car get damaged like that, but glad everyone is ok.

From how OP described how the accident occurred, it doesn't seem like LSS+ was able to react. Car probably came from the left, out of sight from the sensors or radar, so it was impossible for the Lexus to detect the RAV4.
Old 06-24-17, 09:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

So sorry about the accident, corrado. Like everyone said, no one was hurt. That's more important. And if you use the same shop that did the body work on your 3RX F-Sport, then it'll be more than fine. Fingers crossed that goes well. It's getting close to your road trip, right?
Old 06-24-17, 10:47 PM
elvin6188
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ohh no !!!, heart pain
Old 06-25-17, 05:46 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for comments everyone. Exactly, no one was hurt and @kitlz, the car will be repaired at the same location the 3RX got repaired (which was excellent). Hopefully we get the car back for our road trip, else the rental it is.

My wife is certain no pre-collision warning/braking engaged though I'm questioning how come it did not since it is supposed to engage from a minimum 7 mph. Could the rain, color of the RAV4 (silver) and specifically the angle of approach trick the pre-collision system into thinking the road was all-clear? More specifically, perhaps the radar didn't pick up the object (Rav4) because of the angle the radar signal would bounce back totally missing the receiver.

What do you think?

See from 3:00 min :

The following users liked this post:
cec327 (06-25-17)
Old 06-25-17, 07:36 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First, you posted pictures and then this happens. I know how you feel. since I'm a "love my car" guy. No injuries -- a positive. Regarding the PC. I thought that the brake was supposed to be applied automatically to prevent this from happening. I watched the video and it seemed that there was some equivocation about braking and stopping the car. However, when I see advertisements on TV about other cars-- all make the claim that the PC will help prevent accidents and most will show a car coming to a complete stop. After your experience --I'm not sure about the reliability of the system.
Old 06-25-17, 01:29 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cec327
First, you posted pictures and then this happens. I know how you feel. since I'm a "love my car" guy. No injuries -- a positive. Regarding the PC. I thought that the brake was supposed to be applied automatically to prevent this from happening. I watched the video and it seemed that there was some equivocation about braking and stopping the car. However, when I see advertisements on TV about other cars-- all make the claim that the PC will help prevent accidents and most will show a car coming to a complete stop. After your experience --I'm not sure about the reliability of the system.
i have confidence in the system as I have 1st hand witnessed it working and saved me from a rear ending the vehicle in front of me. The vehicle in the OP's case was coming from the side and not detected as an obstacle in front of the vehicle. I suspect nothing would have detected it and stopped the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Sigh