RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Radar cruise control-interestingly nice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17 | 12:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Model S not much more than an RX. Not that I want one but it's nowhere near 3x.
More like 2X, so yes, it is much more. Especially when you add $5k for enhanced autopilot and compare it to the poorly rated Model X.
Old 08-02-17 | 01:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
More like 2X, so yes, it is much more. Especially when you add $5k for enhanced autopilot and compare it to the poorly rated Model X.
I was thinking Model S. Model X - you couldn't give me one for free.
Old 08-02-17 | 02:35 PM
guxu
Pole Position

I think the Tesla thing is off topic. It is like when people were talking they could load three suitcases into RX, and a guy jumped in and claimed his F-150 could load far more rocks. While the statement is true, this is not the reason we bought our RX.

While Lexus's Safety Plus may not be that advanced, it is still nice to have it standard. And I do not think anyone bought his RX just because of the Safety Plus features. To me, the radar cruise control works very well. Using lane keeping is more like teaching a teenager to drive. Most times it is OK. But we do need to keep hands on steering wheel and correct it when necessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by guxu:
jwong77 (08-02-17), st1800 (01-04-18)
Old 08-02-17 | 05:18 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

I started off not using radar cruise control and now I use it sometimes, I think it works quite well. I never use LKA. It doesn't correct until it is almost out of the lane, then it overcorrects which results in swerving which I'm constantly correcting and I find more of an effort than having it off. It's a pita, at least it is for me.
Old 08-02-17 | 06:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by guxu
I think the Tesla thing is off topic. It is like when people were talking they could load three suitcases into RX, and a guy jumped in and claimed his F-150 could load far more rocks. While the statement is true, this is not the reason we bought our RX.

While Lexus's Safety Plus may not be that advanced, it is still nice to have it standard. And I do not think anyone bought his RX just because of the Safety Plus features. To me, the radar cruise control works very well. Using lane keeping is more like teaching a teenager to drive. Most times it is OK. But we do need to keep hands on steering wheel and correct it when necessary.
well said.
Old 08-03-17 | 06:46 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

I find it funny how people on here act like dynamic laser cruise control is something relatively new. I've had it on my vehicles since 2004.
Old 08-03-17 | 06:56 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I find it funny how people on here act like dynamic laser cruise control is something relatively new. I've had it on my vehicles since 2004.
The earliest full speed ACC was introduced on 2006 Mercedes S. Just sayin'
Old 08-03-17 | 10:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

This is the first car I've had that has it. Some of us have been too cheap to buy this class of car in the past
Old 08-03-17 | 11:15 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Same here, its a nice feature to have for sure. We've taken 2 family trips thus far and I can't complain about this feature. I'm still undecided on the LKA, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't work consistently, so your not sure how the steering will behave at times.
Old 08-03-17 | 11:26 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Lane keeping assist is the one option that I never use. Just did not work that well.
I'm still on the fence with this option. I've been driving so long now. Although, sometimes feel that I don't how because the wheel keeps correcting and I feel like I'm fighting it.

I even had my car aligned less than a month after I purchased it and it actually was out of alignment. Understand that sometimes that is the case even with brand new cars. Nonetheless, even after that, I still feel something doesn't seem right. All things considered, I still really do love my RX regardless though.

Regarding the radar cruise control - The times I have used it, I felt it was a neat feature. I'm still not used to it, but do want to try and use it more.
Old 08-03-17 | 12:25 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Wrong. My 2004 Toyota Sienna had the same Dynamic Cruise Control I have in my 16RX.
Old 08-03-17 | 12:36 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Wrong. My 2004 Toyota Sienna had the same Dynamic Cruise Control I have in my 16RX.
Does your 2004 Toyota Sienna have a full speed Dynamic Cruise Control, meaning it can follow at very low speed and can fully stop?
Old 08-03-17 | 01:02 PM
guxu
Pole Position

For LKA, I set the sensitivity to high and it was OK in my recent road trip. It is far from perfect so you do need to correct it often. But it was designed as assistance only so it is very easy to correct it. You do not need to apply unusual force to pull the wheel back.

Lexus knows its limitation. If you do not apply any force to steering wheel, it will beep you. The RX is smart enough that when in a curve, it will warn you every second. But on a straight road, you have several seconds to stretch both your arms.

Sometimes you just have to trust the technology. My RX can be uncomfortably close to one side of the lane. But if there is no car near me, I just let it control the wheel. And once you know your car, you can actually tell when it needs your correction. Overall, on highway, I think ACC reduced 90% of my foot effort. And LKA reduced 50% of my hand effort. And as a bonus, the small corrections kept me from falling into sleep.
Old 08-03-17 | 02:33 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Does your 2004 Toyota Sienna have a full speed Dynamic Cruise Control, meaning it can follow at very low speed and can fully stop?
I doubt it did that, but same principle from 14 years ago. I still wouldn't trust my car to stop on it's own when I can guarantee it will on my own.
Old 08-04-17 | 11:01 AM
ericsan13
Racer

I doubt it did that, but same principle from 14 years ago. I still wouldn't trust my car to stop on it's own when I can guarantee it will on my own.
I agree, I am always watching the road regardless since I have seen the system fail three times while on the highway:
  1. Once when a large motorcycle moved in front of me, the cluster showed there was no car and would have mowed him down
  2. Again when behind a normal non-lifted pickup truck. Sensor was clean but system just did not detect the truck.
  3. Driving in a snowstorm, but this was because the snow eventually packed onto the sensor that it deactivated while driving. I probably should not have been using cruise control anyway but I was hoping the system could see through the snow better than me.

Quick Reply: Radar cruise control-interestingly nice