RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How to change auto dimming screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 08:38 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Disabling dimming?

any way to disable the LCD dimming when lights are turned on? Thanks
Old 11-14-16, 11:47 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Just change the screen settings while the lights are on. You can find those under Display in the upper corner of the Main Menu.
Old 07-13-17, 04:55 PM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to change auto dimming screen

Wondering if any owners found a way to set night mode as the default display? Owners manual doesn't have much info around this, only to change from night mode to day mode.

I don't mind the day mode display but I find the night mode to accent the black interior nicely. It's interesting how Lexus doesn't allow for color customization of the background navigation, unless I'm missing something.
​​
Old 07-14-17, 10:50 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Night mode is not in the option list. You can change it to day mode when it defaults to night, but not the other way around.
The following users liked this post:
FSportWaxy (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 12:02 PM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
Night mode is not in the option list. You can change it to day mode when it defaults to night, but not the other way around.
That's a bummer...seems like an easy option Lexus could have added.
Old 07-14-17, 01:04 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Menu/upper right corner "display"/contrast and brightness will dim it down nicely.

BTW the "Day Mode" is made to be engaged at night...the button is on the same screen
as contrast/brightness. If you want to see the button in daylight however...the must cover
the headlight sensor which is the small dark dome by the defroster vent to fool the system
into thinking it is night.
Old 07-14-17, 05:51 PM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
Menu/upper right corner "display"/contrast and brightness will dim it down nicely.

BTW the "Day Mode" is made to be engaged at night...the button is on the same screen
as contrast/brightness. If you want to see the button in daylight however...the must cover
the headlight sensor which is the small dark dome by the defroster vent to fool the system
into thinking it is night.
I did try covering up the dome but it seems I would need to turn the headlights on in order for the screen to change to night mode. I'm wondering if there's a sensor built into the lights or something to detect daytime/nighttime conditions?
Old 07-15-17, 06:27 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The sensor under the dome does it all. There is a delay built in so lights are not coming on and off everytime
you pass under a bridge or stand of trees. Cover the sensor (cell phone works) and wait 20 seconds. The
Nav screen will go nearly black and the exterior lights come on. Check the dash for the small green lantern
icon. When you go to the display button described earlier you will now see "Day Mode"
Old 10-11-17, 06:49 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Auto-dimming of screen during the day

This is more of an annoyance than a problem.

During the day when i am driving and go under an overpass or under some tree cover - the navi screen changes to the dark/black background and the screen/guage cluster dims. While i understand that this is a feature that is helpful when driving into a long tunnel or some other situations. But it is annoying when I pass through the overpass in less than second and the screen auto-dims and switches right back to "normal" again.

i tried looking in the owners manual and it seems like there is an option for DAY MODE and NIGHT MODE. i was hoping that would fix this problem. But when i go to the "DISPLAY" menu i dont see the options that are listed in the owners manual (see page 409 of the owners manual - OM0E022U)

i also tried looking through the actual menu options while sitting in the car - but i didnt come across anything. Does this annoy anyone else and does anyone have a solution.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Thumbnails How to change auto dimming screen-img_3544.jpg  
Old 10-11-17, 09:15 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I can not see this being a issue.

It only lasts a second or two unless you are parked under the bridge.

No way something like this could annoy me.
Old 10-11-17, 09:36 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

MODs - thank you for combing the thread. i must of missed this thread when i was initially searching.

so if i am reading the posts correctly - i need to turn the headlights on first in order to see the necessary options i am looking for??

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I can not see this being a issue.
It only lasts a second or two unless you are parked under the bridge.
No way something like this could annoy me.
Maybe calling it a personal preference is more accurate.
Old 10-11-17, 02:40 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

In my case, it was the night mode that was set too dark for me and unable to clearly see details on the display. To correct this, while at night mode ( and yes, I waited until I was inside the garage and turned off the lights) I changed the display settings (under display) to increase brightness. And that's all it took. On the otherhand, if you are on daylight mode and you want to darken or reduce brightness of the display, you just do the same under, "Display"
Old 10-12-17, 08:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
This is more of an annoyance than a problem.

During the day when i am driving and go under an overpass or under some tree cover - the navi screen changes to the dark/black background and the screen/guage cluster dims. While i understand that this is a feature that is helpful when driving into a long tunnel or some other situations. But it is annoying when I pass through the overpass in less than second and the screen auto-dims and switches right back to "normal" again.

i tried looking in the owners manual and it seems like there is an option for DAY MODE and NIGHT MODE. i was hoping that would fix this problem. But when i go to the "DISPLAY" menu i dont see the options that are listed in the owners manual (see page 409 of the owners manual - OM0E022U)

i also tried looking through the actual menu options while sitting in the car - but i didnt come across anything. Does this annoy anyone else and does anyone have a solution.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Changing the sensitivity of your auto headlights also may reduce the quick change between day and night mode. I noticed that the screen changes to night mode usually when the headlights come on. Look under Setup on your main display.
Old 10-12-17, 08:50 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
Changing the sensitivity of your auto headlights also may reduce the quick change between day and night mode. I noticed that the screen changes to night mode usually when the headlights come on. Look under Setup on your main display.

thanks ill check it out..
seems like not many ppl find it a nuisance.. maybe that's why Lexus didnt make an easy to find option..
Old 10-12-17, 09:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
thanks ill check it out..
seems like not many ppl find it a nuisance.. maybe that's why Lexus didnt make an easy to find option..
Sorry but do not see others here claiming it is a nuisance..

I think Lexus "baked" this into the system to dim the screen so it is not so bright and interfere with your night vision at night.

Quick Reply: How to change auto dimming screen