RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 08:13 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxelexy
As someone who works in the automotive repair industry in Alberta, I can ASSURE you that you can take your car to any dealer OR independent shop to have all your maintenance items completed and Lexus by law, would be require to honor the warranty. What you need to make sure is that wherever you are taking it to uses the fluids, filters parts etc. that meet or exceed Lexus standards and that all the maintenance is done within the scheduled time or mileage time frames as required by Lexus. As long as you can prove you completed these services and on time, then your warranty cannot be voided. Having an invoice from a licensed shop is the easiest proof but as others mentioned some do the maintenance themselves and that too is accepted (although I don't know the details on how they provide proof that is accepted by dealers to show it was completed on that specific vehicle). I know this is true for all of Canada but will not comment on other countries.

It is a good idea though, that you ask wherever you are taking it to, if they aware of your specific make and models requirements. Out of all the Lexus's I've owned over the years not a single one has ever had a maintenance item completed in a Lexus or any other dealership. The only time they have been to a Lexus dealership is for the warranty items and I have never been given a hard time for not having it maintained there, the warranty was always honored without question. In fact, if you have a salesperson or service advisor tell you otherwise from Lexus then ask them to put it in writing and sign there name that your manufactures warranty is dependent on it only being serviced by Lexus. See what they say.

Additionally, it is actually beneficial to you to have your maintenance completed at an Independent shop because they may find warranty items that require attention prior to the vehicle going off warranty and be able to document it or even advocate on your behalf to the Lexus dealer to ensure it is looked after before the vehicle goes off warranty. I even know some shops in both Edmonton and Calgary that will handle the warranty items by taking the vehicle to the dealer themselves and working direct with Lexus on your behalf at little to sometimes no cost to you. No, a Toyota Dealer or Independent Shop cannot do the warranty work "for free" but they can do it for a cost and not void the warranty. Having said that, modifications to the original equipment could void a warranty. So essentially if you have Toyota or Joe's Garage replace the thermostat (at a cost because it was going to be a weeks wait to have Lexus do it under warranty for free) Lexus will not void the remainder of your warranty. However, if you have Toyota or Joe's Garage install your Canadian Tire special $99.00 remote car starter and they end up hacking into the wiring resulting in consequential problems, then you definitely run a risk of voiding future warranty.

Lastly, the notion that ONLY Lexus has access to TSB's, recall notices, equipment, tools and trained technicians to work on your Lexus beyond basic maintenance is FALSE and do not fall for that. It is definitely YOUR responsibility to ask a shop if they are capable of working on it and many will say that they do the maintenance items and basic mechanical, but there are also some that have invested in and specialize on import nameplates that are capable of doing everything the dealer can at the same technical level. It really comes down to choice... Lexus does tend to have the highest customer service satisfaction ratings and will absolutely be able to do everything on your vehicle but there is also typically a price tag that reflects that. The money to fund the simulated golf and luxury nail spa in the dealership does not fall from the sky. It is built into the price of the vehicle and subsequent servicing.
Thank you so much... I am also holding the Calgary Lexus dealership on what they said: "We will match Toyota dealership service rates during the warranty period."
Old 02-19-18, 04:48 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Slightly Sarcastic - but just poking ribs

Originally Posted by mrod1975
New 2017 RX 350 owner here.

I heard that you might be able to get scheduled maintenance, like oil changes, at a Toyota dealership in an effort to save money on maintenance.

Has anybody here done this? What are the pros and cons of going to a Toyota dealership for scheduled maintenance?

Thank you in advance!

Martin
I was about to reply to one of the earlier posts in this thread that actually answers your question.
Then I read this post and wonder if you did read all the above posts?

The answer is clearly there from a few posters.

PRO's
  • Save significant $$$
  • All maint gets recorded in data base as if done in a Lexus shop
  • Convenience - more Toyota dealers close by then Lexus dealers (my case - 2 miles vs 25 miles)
CON's
  • NONE
To be fair, there is one dissenting poster in AU, (probably with a lot of disposable income), who believes Lexus Dealership maintenance is better, (he didn't say necessary).
My guess, (yes just a guess), is that the AU poster has not even tried a Toyota dealership to compare, just has a belief he sticks too, which is fine.
So I'm sure his reasoning works for him, since his Lexus is getting good service, and he doesn't mind paying more for it.

I am a long time Mercedes owner as well, and the most used phrase on the forums about Mercedes Dealerships is "Stealerships"!
Most Mercedes owners whose cars are out of warrantee, find a good independent (indi) mechanic for just about all work they don't do themselves.
How you maintain any car/truck is really about the quality of the work done when it's needed, not how much your paying to do it.

So my first Lexus will be arriving from CA in a couple of weeks, first stop once it's licensed is the Toyota dealership close by for a complete health check.
So you've got to the correct thread, now read all the posts...

Last edited by outrbnks; 02-19-18 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 05:02 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by outrbnks
I was about to reply to one of the earlier posts in this thread that actually answers your question.

PRO's
  • Save significant $$$
  • Convenience - more Toyota dealers close by then Lexus dealers (my case - 2 miles vs 25 miles)
CON's
  • NONE
To be fair, there is one dissenting poster in AU, (probably with a lot of disposable income), who believes Lexus Dealership maintenance is better, (he didn't say necessary).
My guess, (yes just a guess), is that the AU poster has not even tried a Toyota dealership to compare, just has a belief he sticks too, which is fine.
So I'm sure his reasoning works for him, since his Lexus is getting good service, and he doesn't mind paying more for it.

I am a long time Mercedes owner as well, and the most used phrase on the forums about Mercedes Dealerships is "Stealerships"!
Most Mercedes owners whose cars are out of warrantee, find a good independent (indi) mechanic for just about all work they don't do themselves.
How you maintain any car/truck is really about the quality of the work done when it's needed, not how much your paying to do it.

So my first Lexus will be arriving from CA in a couple of weeks, first stop once it's licensed is the Toyota dealership close by for a complete health check.
Cons .... greatly reduced resale because it hadn’t been serviced by Lexus and doesn’t have proper log books ... counts for everything in Australia and you’ll lose thousands come trade in time ... customer service is chalk and cheese here too between a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer .. free loan cars and car washes are just the beginning .... but hey whatever works for you over there
Old 02-19-18, 05:38 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

PRO's
  • Save significant $$$
CON's
  • NONE
Well partly true & partly untrue.
It depends also in which country you resides and whether you lease or own you car. Here in Ontario, while under warranty Toyota dealers are told by Toyota not to service Lexus products. It makes sense as they have to protect Lexus dealers interests. Once out of warranty you can go anywhere. Also Toyota dealers do not get TSBs so the car may not be serviced as it should. As the aussie fellow said, any service performed by Toyota will not be found in the Lexus database thereby reducing your resale value, this only applies to those who buy the car and not lease it as the latter couldn't care less unless they buy it back.

I too am a MB owner and you can't compare the cost of maintenance of a MB, which is absurd and based on the premise that you'll keep the car till you die with Lexus, I find the latter to be about 20% the coast of the Benz. In the end one is free to go wherever one wants, but there will be consequences when/if you need Lexus help.
Old 02-19-18, 05:52 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

[
  • ......snip....

So you've got to the correct thread, now read all the posts...[/QUOTE]
    So you're buying your first Lexus and your first stop will be a Toyota dealer to check it out? My first thought was....why didn't you just buy a Toyota?

Old 02-19-18, 05:55 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LordBowral

Cons .... greatly reduced resale because it hadn’t been serviced by Lexus and doesn’t have proper log books ... counts for everything in Australia and you’ll lose thousands come trade in time ... customer service is chalk and cheese here too between a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer .. free loan cars and car washes are just the beginning .... but hey whatever works for you over there
Hi Lord Bowral, thanks for the reply, interesting how things can be different, or perceived differently. Where in AU are you,

love your country, my oldest daughter finished university in Perth, and loved it so much she moved back, married a mate she met in university, & now has 2 sons. My wife and I have visited AU 8 times now, and I really enjoy everything about it, (except you drive on the wrong side of the road.. ).

One of the best road trips we've ever taken was in Tasmania. While visiting our daughter in Melbourne years ago, on a whim we flew to Hobart, rented a car and drove up the east coast, staying in B&B's. Absolutely beautiful scenery, similar to driving up Rt.1 in CA, but without the traffic. Tas was a great place to get used to RHD car driving, almost no traffic at all ...
Never forget the look on the rental car clerk's face in the Hobart airport after he looked at my license, he looked up with dismay and his expression said it all... "Another Yank...!" LOL
Big red sticker on dash said, "DRIVE TO THE LEFT" or something like that, and he said that to me several times before I left the counter area. Admittedly it's a challenge to break habits in traffic, specially your roundabouts... So Tas was a great drivers learning experience without too much danger. Planning an AU trip now for later in the year, trip #9... cheers

PS: really odd seeing old American muscle cars with RHD in AU, I've seen quite a few on my visits over the years. I'm told there (used to be?) or are businesses that convert them from LHD to RHD, amazing!
Old 02-19-18, 06:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Also Toyota dealers do not get TSBs so the car may not be serviced as it should. As the aussie fellow said, any service performed by Toyota will not be found in the Lexus database thereby reducing your resale value, this only applies to those who buy the car and not lease it as the latter couldn't care less unless they buy it back.
That is not correct. The Toyota dealers do have access to Lexus TSBs. And all work done at my Toyota dealer on my Lexus vehicles does show up on the Lexus data base. If I go to the Lexus Drivers' site, all maintenance and repairs done on my Lexus vehicles at the Toyota dealer are documented there.
Old 02-19-18, 07:24 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
[[list]
  • ......snip....

Yea, great question, my choice was between 4Runner or GX, and have been looking for a while. The long term reliability for both are really appealing to me.

So basically this truck is replacing an older Pathfinder, which has always been the family utility vehicle.

I already have a small collection of some very nice low mileage older Mercedes, so when I started looking it wasn't specifically for a Lexus, but for the 4Runner platform.

I started out looking specifically for a 99 or 00 4Runner Limited with differential lock option and low mileage. Almost impossible to find one, and when they come up for sale they sell for more than some newer 4Runners or GX's.

After giving up on those 2 specific years with differential lock, I expanded the market choice to 4the Gen 4Runner or 1st Gen GX.

I would have settled for a 4Runner had there been a better financial deal, But getting the GX is a real plus I appreciate.

I am enthused about getting the GX vs. a 4Runner, I am fortunate to get a nice deal on a very desirable GX, it will be enjoyed and well taken care of.

My daughter and her husband test drove it and were extremely impressed. So much so that my daughter has now set her sights on one herself.

Cheers..
    The following users liked this post:
    ravenuer (02-19-18)
    Old 02-19-18, 07:32 AM
    Cocal
    Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
    That is not correct. The Toyota dealers do have access to Lexus TSBs. And all work done at my Toyota dealer on my Lexus vehicles does show up on the Lexus data base. If I go to the Lexus Drivers' site, all maintenance and repairs done on my Lexus vehicles at the Toyota dealer are documented there.
    There may be differences, as I said, between countries, here in Ontario the two aren't interchangeable, I cannot get a Lexus dealer to order a Toyota oil filter or a toyota dealer to order a lexus part.

In the US you have laws that we do not in Canada such as the Lemon Law, wish we had it.
    Old 02-19-18, 08:34 PM
    Elation
    Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on dealerships.
    I've bought Lexus parts at Toyota dealership in Ontario.
    The Toyota dealership is 10 minutes away, Lexus is 30 min away, so it was convenient.

Not sure if you can get the service done at Toyota though.
    I would prefer to do it at Lexus by Lexus trained mechanics though.
    I don't want my car to be the very first experience for the mechanic.
    Old 02-20-18, 10:02 AM
    chrisper
    Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
    Just wanted to add that the opposite is also true: During my first service appointment, the local Lexus dealership pulled up my previous Toyota service records (for Highlander Hybrid), and asked to confirm if that's me. So it does appear to go both ways in terms of service records.
    Old 02-20-18, 12:20 PM
    gregjhonda
    Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

My local non-dealer independent repair shop updates my 2017 Lexus RX records online as does the Toyota dealer. In both cases it was done without me asking!
    Old 02-20-18, 09:39 PM
    GSFRX350
    Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

PRO's
    • Save significant $$$
    CON's
    • NONE

I'm in Australia and have had around 250 to 260 dealer services over the years at GM, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and they're all the same - it's highly likely the car will be worked on by an apprentice. With all these services I've had numerous episodes of something done wrong or they have broken a part which has necessitated more days off the road waiting for parts. It's really hard to fathom the number of problems I've had. When you go to a Lexus dealer they are supposedly trained technicians not apprentices and more care (hopefully) is taken with your car.
    Old 02-06-19, 04:47 PM
    sderman
    Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
    Default If you live in Northern New Jersey...

I own an 2017 RX350 and a 2014 ES350. I have been doing my oil changes on all of my cars for nearly 50 years. I finally decided it was time to let someone else do this work. I got a free oil change at Lexus after 12 months for my new (2017) RX, but they overfilled. So listening to all of the raves about using a Toyota dealer I decided to try one. I brought my 2014 ES-350 to Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn, NJ. I brought my own oil 6 quarts of Royal Purple (not to save money but because I believe it is a superior oil to Toyota's/Lexus' synthetic - which is similar to Mobil 1) and I was very pleased with the service and customer waiting area (nicer and less congested than at our local Lexus dealer). I paid $61 for the oil change (with their filter) and a tire rotation. They also measured my tire depth tread and brake pad thickness on all 4 sides and I got a free wash. With their current online promotion I could have gotten it at a similar price which would have included Toyota oil and a bunch of other underhood and underbody checks, but I was very happy with the service I got and the professionalism of this group. I also had a very nice chat with Mike Elston, their Service and Parts Director. I'll be bringing my 2017 RX-350 to them next. I just thought they deserved an attaboy
    Old 03-24-19, 08:10 AM
    ReconcileU
    Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral

This perception comes off as clueless to me. In the states, most Toyota/Lexus enthusiasts know that they are the same cars. A GX460 is a 4th generation 4Runner... a RX is a highlander... A landcruiser is a LX470/570. You believing that Toyota is somehow unqualified to work on Lexus is a very uninformed mindset. If that perception is widespread in your country all that means is marketing deception worked successfully to make you think that there is some type of significant difference between a Lexus and a Toyota.

A lot of them use the same fluids, the same engines, the same mechanical specifications...

I know that Aus is a very expensive country to live in so it does not surprise me at all that a stuck up, superior than thou, consumer mindset shaped by branding and marketing exists over there.

Last edited by ReconcileU; 03-24-19 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?