RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 08:29 AM
radium22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guxu
Are you sure Q5 will have less issues? I am considering the 2018 redesigned Q5.
I was considering the the 2018 Q5 as well but decided to go with 2017 RX350 just a few weeks ago. I have a friend who owned a 2015 Q7 and he had no issues at all. However, he saw a lot of issues posted in audi forum for the redesigned 2016 Q7 last year. I was afraid that the 2018 redesigned Q5 may go through the same pain...
Old 07-17-17, 09:47 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
Are you sure Q5 will have less issues? I am considering the 2018 redesigned Q5.
I would purchase the car you truly like the best. There is no guarantee either car will be problem free. I actually liked the Q5 better but went with Lexus because of their reliability. So now I have the car I really didn't want and have issues. I will not make this mistake again, from now on I will purchase the car I like the best.
Old 07-17-17, 03:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

The RX is the winner after test driving both. Now the arm wrestle with the dealers begins this week. Wish me luck and thanks for your input to everyone.
Old 07-17-17, 03:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Go test drive both cars. I always thought the Q5 drove weird. Q7 is a far nicer vehicle.
I was surprised as well with the Q5 handling. Steering felt much looser than I would expect from a German model.
Old 07-17-17, 03:12 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations ! A wise choice 🍾🥂
Old 07-17-17, 04:32 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The RX is the winner after test driving both. Now the arm wrestle with the dealers begins this week. Wish me luck and thanks for your input to everyone.
Make sure you test the drive the one you are getting. Accelerate slow and listen and feel for any vibration drone right around 1500rpms. I did not test drive th one I purchased. I am certain I would have felt it and would not have purchsed this one.

Congtrats on your choice and good luck. Hopefully you'll get a good one.
Old 07-17-17, 05:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Make sure you test the drive the one you are getting. Accelerate slow and listen and feel for any vibration drone right around 1500rpms. I did not test drive th one I purchased. I am certain I would have felt it and would not have purchsed this one.

Congtrats on your choice and good luck. Hopefully you'll get a good one.
Is this a widespread issue or limited to earlier production models? You say you feel it onkky around 1500 rpm in first gear?
Old 07-17-17, 08:24 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from the RX350 to the Audi SQ5. This is after passing on the 2016 RX after 3 test drives. Our 2010 performed better than the new Lex with supposedly more power. We decided to wait for the 2017 RX and were still disappointed. Some of the issues mentioned in this Forum were obvious during test drives. That's a long story and somewhat subjective but there were also issues with acceleration and tranny shifting.
Drove the Mercedes GLC and liked it a lot, would have been our second choice. The BMW X3 is redesigned for 2018 and might be worth a look. The Audi outclasses the RX in almost every way IMO. It is a drivers car and has 3 or 4 driving modes depending upon if you have air ride. These modes actually make a noticeable difference in performance, steering and softer ride vs firmer for cornering. The ride is very good and with air suspension as good as it gets. The Audi Virtual Cockpit is the best combo I have encountered. And it has Android Auto/Car Play and no Lockout while driving. Tons of info intuitively organized and most info can be viewed on either the Nav or DIC. This system compared to Lexus makes Lex look a generation behind. The Audi can get expensive but you have lots of choices, some aren't available on the Lex.
The Lexus is larger than the GLC or Q5 but they certainly aren't in the class of the NX unless all you use is size. Audi understates performance and economy. Maybe they have to use Dynamic mode for economy but in Comfort mode ours easily gets in the low to mid 30's calculated by actual fuel consumption. Braking is far superior to Lex. The steering is very soft at low speeds but firms at speed. The fit and finish on mine is perfect, Consumer Reports rated quality high on the prior gen.
I could go on for a long time but will end by saying I can't wait to find an excuse to jump in the car and go for a ride. The RX is nice but......

Last edited by Comfort; 07-17-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 08:49 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think once you mentioned you were keeping it past warranty the decision is simple. Audi reliability is quite impressive for a European Marque but its hard to beat the Lexus in any aspect in longevity. Tried engine and powertrain. A basic Q5, like any other european offering is not all that better until you add the adaptive dampers etc. Plus you are at the time where Summer deals are about to start soo go at it.
Old 07-18-17, 06:03 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. One trend these days is to base so much of an SUV's/crossover's value on performance...or being a "driver's car." I don't view a (small) SUV as a performance vehicle nor do I want it to try to be one. I have other cars that will destroy the RX performance-wise. When getting into the RX with my wife, we will NEVER be pushing the car, ripping up back roads or street racing between stoplights.

The RX is the clear choice over Audi if you value reliability, longevity and a smooth comfy ride. If a small SUV will be your only car and it needs to satisfy your need for performance as well, the Q5 is probably the better choice for you. We took a road trip in a friend's Q5 and the back seats were nice. You can tell the leather is stiffer and less luxurious. The panoramic glass roof was very cool. The nav and infotainment systems are a generation ahead of the crap Lexus provides. And even as a passenger I can attest the brakes clamp down with more anger than the RX. You can feel it.

But I know which one best suits me. And which one I would be comfortable owning and driving for 15+ years. I voted with my wallet.
Old 07-18-17, 06:43 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Is this a widespread issue or limited to earlier production models? You say you feel it onkky around 1500 rpm in first gear?
I have a 2017 and this issue has been going on since the new model change.
I can feel the vibration through all the gears its just more noticeable in the lower gears.
Best way to describe it is a somewhat rough feeling when taking off, its just not smooth until you get over 2k rpms.
Also having the AC on makes it worse and any incline. Turn the AC on on your test drive and do a lot of stop and go, thats when you should notice it. I have driven several, mine was the worst one was slight and one was fine. So be very critical on your test drive. I dont want anyone to go through the frustration I have and many other folks. Oh if you do happen to get one with this issue, Lexus states its normal but they are working on a fix. Figure that one out! Honestly they should hold up production unitl they can actually come up with a solution. Its very unfair to the coustomers that got STUCK with this issue.

One more thing I forgot to mention the drone and vibration are much worse in the colder temperatures. I see you live in NJ so your winters will really be the true test. Dont get me wrong many folks are happy with this vehicle. Just trying to educate potential buyers so they dont get stuck with this issue. Good Luck!

Last edited by tdjacw; 07-18-17 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 07:20 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Honestly they should hold up production unitl they can actually come up with a solution.
Stop dreaming. RX is Lexus best selling model and continue to be the best selling model of their entire line. Even with NX eating some of its share.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/06/...-sales-report/

You should always test drive the vehicle you're going home with regardless of brand, dealership, or model. If the dealer is not willing to put the miles on the vehicle and rather have you put in on the demo vehicle, they don't deserve your business.
Old 07-18-17, 07:41 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Like to add a twist and say look at the 2018 Volvo XC60. Before anyone jumps on me, remember this is MY personal opinion. I thought my wife and I would own Lexus's forever but they have gone in another direction. We think the front grill is hideous. Go to other web sites like YouTube, Road & Track and read the comments from the general public on the front grill. They are 90% against. The cheap black plastic around the wheel wells looks RAV4ish. We like light interiors and would never consider buying a black interior vehicle. At least 60% of the light interior on the 2016 and newer is black. It is not light interior. Look at the wheel wells, front grill and the interior color of the Volvo. The plug in hybrid gets 30 miles all electric and than 50 mpg's after.

Old 07-18-17, 07:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

One of my wifes friends just bought that. I didnt drive in it but my wife did. She thought it was much nicer than the Lexus.
Could be a good alternative.

Last edited by tdjacw; 07-18-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 08:31 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Comfort
I went from the RX350 to the Audi SQ5. This is after passing on the 2016 RX after 3 test drives. Our 2010 performed better than the new Lex with supposedly more power. We decided to wait for the 2017 RX and were still disappointed. Some of the issues mentioned in this Forum were obvious during test drives. That's a long story and somewhat subjective but there were also issues with acceleration and tranny shifting.
I'd started a thread here that the 4RX could use more power...aka maybe throw a turbo. I'd thought my 2014RX felt a bit quicker than the 4RX. There was a bit of a backlash with my comments. In my opinion Lexus sort of blew it with the 8 speed transmission. Lexus isn't known for fast acceleration but they did start off being a bit underpowered for a totally redesigned car.

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs Audi Q5