RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 12:08 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll begin with the statement that I firmly believe that buying and owning a car entitles you to own it however you want to without judgement from onlookers. Paint it pink, drop it to 1" off the ground and run it on used fryer oil if you want. You bought it, own it like you want.

The engineers who design engines do so by making certain assumptions, and placing certain expectations on how it's used. "If you want the thing I built to do X, then you need to do Y and Z to make it happen." In all cases, those conditions are chosen for good reasons by people who are experts.

Clearly modern engines survive and perform just fine using less than recommended octane. But that's not what the designers recommend when they designed the engine. And since I'm not a mechanical or fluids expert, I'm OK taking their word on their recommendations. If you want the engine to perform as designed, then use the recommended fuel. I'm not saying bad things happen if people don't, or that they'd even notice a difference. But I already have a solid answer from the designers if you do. Lots of people will say I'm wasting money but in truth I waste more money on things far less important than the second most expensive thing I own. I just consider the fuel type when I'm evaluating overall cost to own when making a buying decision.

But, to each their own.
The following 7 users liked this post by 1Louder:
artem123 (08-07-21), Cocal (08-05-21), coolbrazz (08-05-21), dibl (08-05-21), eddie420 (08-05-21), jollick (08-05-21), mrolds69 (08-05-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-21, 01:33 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I'll begin with the statement that I firmly believe that buying and owning a car entitles you to own it however you want to without judgement from onlookers. Paint it pink, drop it to 1" off the ground and run it on used fryer oil if you want. You bought it, own it like you want.

The engineers who design engines do so by making certain assumptions, and placing certain expectations on how it's used. "If you want the thing I built to do X, then you need to do Y and Z to make it happen." In all cases, those conditions are chosen for good reasons by people who are experts.

Clearly modern engines survive and perform just fine using less than recommended octane. But that's not what the designers recommend when they designed the engine. And since I'm not a mechanical or fluids expert, I'm OK taking their word on their recommendations. If you want the engine to perform as designed, then use the recommended fuel. I'm not saying bad things happen if people don't, or that they'd even notice a difference. But I already have a solid answer from the designers if you do. Lots of people will say I'm wasting money but in truth I waste more money on things far less important than the second most expensive thing I own. I just consider the fuel type when I'm evaluating overall cost to own when making a buying decision.

But, to each their own.
I agree with you, but the...discussion...here seems to be about the wisdom/efficacy of using higher-than-recommended-octane fuel, not lower than recommended. The RX Owner's Manual (page 444) calls for "87 octane (Research Octane Number 91) or higher," which presumably is the engineers' recommendation. So, I'm guessing that you’re perfectly fine - as am I - with using regular 87 octane, but nothing lower (not that anything lower can be found in most places).

As a sidelight and as a new RX350 owner (2021), I was surprised not to see near the refill port the recommended-octane label so commonly found in other vehicles, including my LC500.

Last edited by redhot47fl; 08-05-21 at 04:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by redhot47fl:
lesz (08-05-21), mrolds69 (08-05-21), rxtimes2 (08-06-21)
Old 08-05-21, 04:19 PM
Badbee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, no octane label on my 2021 f sport but the manual states 87 or above.
Old 08-05-21, 04:34 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
I agree with you, but the...discussion...here seems to be about the wisdom/efficacy of using higher-than-recommended-octane fuel, not lower than recommended. The RX Owner's Manual (page 444) calls for "87 octane (Research Octane Number 91) or higher," which presumably is the engineers' recommendation. So, I'm guessing that you’re perfectly fine - as am I - with using regular 87 octane, but nothing lower (not that anything lower can be found in most places).

As a sidelight and as a new RX350 owner (2021), I was surprised not to see near the refill port the recommended-octane label so commonly found in other vehicles, including my LC500.
I might not have caught that lol. I should have mentioned I'm coming at it from what my 2016 manual says, "Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91)."

Everything I've read about using higher than recommended says there is no point in doing so.
Old 08-05-21, 04:35 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot47fl
Perhaps it is only "Semantics" but nowhere is 87 octane recommended, only a note not to go below 87 which I see as a warning NOT as a recommendation.
A Lexus rep in Canada told me a few years ago that all testing was done on 91 octane, so going above that would be wasteful IMO. I have no written proof of this, but I believed him.
Old 08-05-21, 04:44 PM
plee82
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's a different car and all, but the MDX 2020 engine compression ratio is 0.3 lower than RX 350 2021 engine but recommends 91.
Old 08-06-21, 12:06 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by plee82
.... the MDX 2020 engine compression ratio is 0.3 lower than RX 350 ...
Which raises the question -- what is the 2GR FKS compression ratio, actually? With VVT-iW on the intake cam, isn't it a range, rather than a single figure? Isn't the official printed specification actually the maximum ratio, i.e. the Otto cycle ratio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i

Last edited by dibl; 08-06-21 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrolds69 (08-07-21)
Old 08-06-21, 07:22 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I understand that the first couple of RX generations were premium-only gas, and it was considered to be a drag on sales. When Gen 3 came out, the sales guys were all thrilled to tout the "regular gas" feature, as I heard when looking at the 2014s and 2015s. So I believe it's all marketing driven, including the "minimum required octane" lingo in the manual.
When I bought my new 2000 RX300, the manual stated to use 87 octane or higher. I only used Shell regular 87 gas and had no problems at all. I changed the plugs at just over 100,000 miles and they look darn good.
Old 08-06-21, 08:27 AM
plee82
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Which raises the question -- what is the 2GR FKS compression ratio, actually? With VVT-iW on the intake cam, isn't it a range, rather than a single figure? Isn't the official printed specification actually the maximum ratio, i.e. the Otto cycle ratio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i
I'm reading it's 11.8:1

Toyota 2GR-FE/FSE/FKS 3.5 V6 Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, Camry, Highlander, Lexus GS/IS/ES 350 (motorreviewer.com)
Old 08-06-21, 08:36 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by plee82
I'm reading it's 11.8:1
Yep, that's what it says. Now, what do you suppose it is when the intake valve is being held open for the first part of the compression stroke at lower rpms, i.e. Atkinson cycle mode?
Old 08-06-21, 08:38 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by autotech13
When I bought my new 2000 RX300, the manual stated to use 87 octane or higher. I only used Shell regular 87 gas ...
In the laziest of google searches, it looks like that recommendation did not last to 2010: https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350...eatures-specs/

The following users liked this post:
Cocal (08-06-21)
Old 08-07-21, 02:00 PM
mrolds69
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

When you started talking about compression, it got me thinking. I totally understand how higher compression engines need better fuel. The truth is, I don't really know a lot about the computer controlled engines, other than I know they compensate for changes. You can't really compare a 2000 engine to a 2021 engine. Even if you say "a few years ago a Lexus rep said...", that was a few years ago. You can't really compare the performance of a 2020 MDX to a 350 RX, the MDX has 9 speeds, and I think it's a lot less weight, and it's a different engine. I know the RX H engine is like over a 13+ compression ratio (Atkinson?)and you need premium fuel. That's what I read someplace before I bought my car. I was looking at the hybrid RX and trying to figure out why it needs premium fuel. That's because of the "cycle* which I don't really understand.
I do understand a bit about the "tuners" and how they tweak things. I'm a new member, I'm not a troll, it's all interesting! Here's some food for thought. I know Lexus has a sophisticated computer set up. They can tell if you brake or corner hard, your speed, and a gazillion other things. Suppose your engine blows up at 12K miles. They tow the car to the dealer, the dealer plugs in your port, they scan it. They say...hey,,,the timing shows as advanced, it looks like the air/fuel ratio is tweaked, all the parameters for fuel are whack, we think you ran high test gas and that's why the engine blew.They test your fuel and say it's the wrong fuel for the car. We are not paying for a new engine. Could that happen? Who knows?
Old 08-07-21, 02:12 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

[QUOTE=. Suppose your engine blows up at 12K miles. They tow the car to the dealer, the dealer plugs in your port, they scan it. They say...hey,,,the timing shows as advanced, it looks like the air/fuel ratio is tweaked, all the parameters for fuel are whack, we think you ran high test gas and that's why the engine blew.They test your fuel and say it's the wrong fuel for the car. We are not paying for a new engine. Could that happen? Who knows?[/QUOTE]
This could never happen as the warning is only not to go below 87 octane there is no limit how high in octane you go, but if you were to use aviation fuel or something similar than of course you'd be on your own.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cocal:
dibl (08-07-21), raylor4 (08-07-21)
Old 08-07-21, 02:24 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll always remember our salesperson's remark when we bought our 2011 RX350. "It runs on regular, it runs better on premium." Sage advice without all the technical stuff.
Ray A.
The following 2 users liked this post by raylor4:
coolbrazz (08-07-21), dibl (08-07-21)
Old 08-08-21, 08:48 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I think a much more accurate quote: "it runs on regular, it might be slightly more efficient on premium."

US Energy Information Administration: Gasoline Explained
"Modern engine computers minimize this condition [pre-ignition, when the fuel ignites on its own before the spark ignites it, i.e., knocking] by controlling the timing of valves and fuel injection; however, this control mechanism can also come with a fuel-efficiency or emissions penalty."

Quick Reply: What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?