RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 10:45 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

What does the manual say?
Old 09-06-22, 11:25 PM
Krishh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual says octane rating 87 or higher. But when I checked at the dealership they said I need to put premium gas on an fsport.

Is that True.?
Old 09-07-22, 04:03 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Krishh
Manual says octane rating 87 or higher. But when I checked at the dealership they said I need to put premium gas on an fsport.

Is that True.?
Not true. F-Sport will run on 87 octane. It will run better on 89 or 91 octane. Your money -- your choice. See post #378 above.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (09-07-22), ravenuer (09-07-22)
Old 09-07-22, 12:00 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Is that True.?
According to my Lexus dealer, I need to drink Lexus coffee and breathe Lexus air. I have a dilemma! My Honda dealer tells me I need to drink Honda coffee and breathe Honda air.
Old 09-07-22, 01:18 PM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched a recent episode of Engine Masters on TV and that was about using different octanes, started with 87 then drained it out and put in 91 then drained it out and went to 110,, rain the engines on a test stand and the curves of HP and torques didnt change.. Was w/n, 1HP didnt knock..and ran the timing at 29 degrees on them all...
Old 09-07-22, 02:21 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,151 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiefsfan
I watched a recent episode of Engine Masters on TV and that was about using different octanes, started with 87 then drained it out and put in 91 then drained it out and went to 110,, rain the engines on a test stand and the curves of HP and torques didnt change.. Was w/n, 1HP didnt knock..and ran the timing at 29 degrees on them all...
Go to Youtube and watch two clips regular gas versus premium Consumer Reports and regular gas premium gas CBC News. Test done shows zero difference.
Old 09-07-22, 02:56 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Is that True.?
Why would you call the dealer if the manual answered what you needed to know?
Old 09-09-22, 09:03 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Is that True.?
As others have said, not true. You'll need to use premium to get published HP ratings. But in the several studies I've read, while lower octane than recommended can reduce HP it's not large enough to detect in the real world. And MPG is inconclusive in most studies. Too many other variables to isolate changes due to octane.

There is nothing about the F-sport package that deals with the engine so that's a rather silly thing for a dealer to say. It's a handling and appearance package and has nothing to do with engine tuning.

If I were to summarize the many pages of this thread in a sentence, given the parameters outlined in your manual, go with what suits your budget and drive feel.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1Louder:
coolbrazz (09-09-22), Freds430 (09-10-22), GrizzlyMan (09-10-22)
Old 09-09-22, 09:13 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiefsfan
link or complete name of episode to search for it? episode number?
Old 09-09-22, 09:35 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
link or complete name of episode to search for it? episode number?
Old 09-09-22, 09:40 AM
ManicJoe23
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh this could really be an issue in climes without recognized gas classifications. Gotta check mine now
Old 09-10-22, 06:23 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

If your engine does not knock at 87... then it does not need it

Of course one test, just like my one experience it does not mean it applies to the masses, but both on my vehicles, the V6 suv and the FBO is350 run way better on 93, feels much smoother at idle, less throttle input when changing lanes, and zero pinging, etc.

Yes, I do sometimes go cheap on 87, just to see if maybe is snake oil effect, there is a power loss on both V6s and I mean slightly sluggish across the powerband. I have no machine or special electronic device as proof, and I could be wrong. The highway drives across the city shows otherwise, engine is responsive, smoother, I can feel it struggling less.
Just a quick observation about the videos, many ECU take a few miles to be running the specific fuel to re-learn and calibrate. Dumping fuel and putting the next octane rating seems it is not giving the ECM enough time to recalibrate, maybe could be the case on their test. Would have been great run the tests as well on an engine running its accessories.

To each its own, I know I will stick w 93 here where I live. Let me finish with, and this is where maybe some say they run 87 no problem. In FL I rarely used 93 because 87 was super good w the engines (only used 93 on a boosted modified car), but here in the Central States, any lower than 91 is very low grade fuel, maybe at Shell and still.

Last edited by GrizzlyMan; 09-10-22 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-10-22, 08:56 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

this 4th gen RX been out since 2016 and this engine has been out (with some modifications) since 2002 (2grfe) and we are still having this conversation...

use 87. if you want to use higher octane go ahead but it doesnt require it. Its an RX, not a RC-F. it'll run 87 no problems

I havent heard of anyone having engine problems on the 4th gen RX due to bad fuel, or lack of octane and we have guys running with 2016's w/ over 150,000 miles on the odo.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (09-10-22)
Old 09-10-22, 08:38 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

My SUV is much older than the RX, it has a V6 Toyota engine. I never said using 87 will harm the engine.
Statistics show around 127,000 convenience stores selling fuel to the public in the US.
The YT posted video tested one type of 87 fuel. It would have been more valid if they had gathered samples from different fuel zones of the country and check for discrepancies/consistencies, but that is somewhat unrealistic resulting in a very long video.
I did mention that in FL I always used 87, it was that good, I could tell when driving, idle, high speed, acceleration.
It is possible for some the lowest grade will suffice and the RX will run perfectly fine.
In FL I felt using 93 was throwing money away, only used it for the modded boosted 1.8L. The wideband AFRs, timing, spark plug readings and pinging would let me know the higher octane rating.
Where I live now, using 93 is NOT throwing money away for me, all the V6 and turbo engines of my cars, once again, run smoother, idles much better mostly so when the A/C is on. (all vehicles maintenance up to date), and run top speed effortless. It does not mean using 87 will harm the engine, in my specific situation. Test for yourself, maybe in your neck of the woods they will all deliver the same results regardless.

cheers

Last edited by kitlz; 09-11-22 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-10-22, 10:40 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Just a quick observation about the videos, many ECU take a few miles to be running the specific fuel to re-learn and calibrate. Dumping fuel and putting the next octane rating seems it is not giving the ECM enough time to recalibrate, maybe could be the case on their test. Would have been great run the tests as well on an engine running its accessories.
I think the methanol test disproves the observation about the ECU needing time to calibrate. Seems to adjust just fine and with significant gains.

They said if you're NA, octane doesn't matter. What about turbo engines?

Quick Reply: What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?