RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Overly Sensitive Gas Pedal/Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17 | 02:41 PM
sderman
Advanced

Default Overly Sensitive Gas Pedal/Throttle?

I've had my '17 RX (non-hybrid) for about 6 months but I still find that the gas pedal occasionally seems especially sensitive. Sometimes, when I try to accelerate using a gently increasing pedal pressure, it just sort of takes off (accelerates rapidly). It does not feel like any sort of hesitation. I usually drive in the normal mode. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-05-17 | 02:49 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. I feel that too sometimes. The old RX's did that too though sometimes.

It usually happens when I Get off the freeway and I'm about to turn into a street. I'll get a sudden jolt of power and it's super jerky on normal mode.
Old 08-05-17 | 04:48 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Same here, especially in sport mode. When accelerating and trying to keep a constant speed there is point where it feels like you just pushed the accelerator down. Seems to pick up speed without giving any extra gas. IMO the whole acceleration from a stop is just not linear like all the other cars I've owned. Don't care for this 8 speed transmission.
Old 08-06-17 | 08:54 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

I wish the throttle was sensitive.
Old 08-06-17 | 10:07 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
I've had my '17 RX (non-hybrid) for about 6 months but I still find that the gas pedal occasionally seems especially sensitive. Sometimes, when I try to accelerate using a gently increasing pedal pressure, it just sort of takes off (accelerates rapidly). It does not feel like any sort of hesitation. I usually drive in the normal mode. Has anyone else experienced this?
If we were to make a poll right now, I bet many members here would be envious of you Your best bet is to take it to a dealer so they can inspect your throttle system. Good luck!
Old 08-07-17 | 09:55 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hubs
I wish the throttle was sensitive.
+1. Seems to be a lazy 2 second delay & the crazy 8 speed. I love the my BMW's sensitive throttle.
Old 08-07-17 | 01:25 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

I don't have this problem with my hybrid version, but suggest that you experiment with driving in the Economy drive setting. It alters the pedal's sensitivity so that it must be depressed further to achieve the same acceleration.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (08-07-17)
Old 08-07-17 | 02:04 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
I don't have this problem with my hybrid version, but suggest that you experiment with driving in the Economy drive setting. It alters the pedal's sensitivity so that it must be depressed further to achieve the same acceleration.
i do not have this problem either and my throttle has been pretty accurate as expected. Love my 450h!
Old 08-07-17 | 03:31 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

I forgot to ask, did you bring this up with the service advisor? The dealer reprogram/re flash the ECU for my 4RX free of charge. This changed my throttle response a bit.
Old 08-08-17 | 06:12 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
Thanks, yes I drove in the economy drive setting when I first got the car. The sensitivity was less. But for some reason months ago I switched to Normal (perhaps the sensitivity was a little too gentle) but didn't expect the bump in sensitivity. Thought that was more for the Sport setting. Will return to Eco and report back.
Old 08-08-17 | 06:19 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I forgot to ask, did you bring this up with the service advisor? The dealer reprogram/re flash the ECU for my 4RX free of charge. This changed my throttle response a bit.
I haven't brought the car in yet. I only have about 2,500 miles in 7 months and did not want any dealer setting changes at the 6 months/5,000 mile mark. I will bring it in at 12 months for the free oil change and will do subsequent oil changes myself with Royal Purple. About the dealer reprogramming - since my issue is pretty minor I do not want to take the chance that the reprogramming will change someone else for the worse - Murphy's Law and all that.
Old 08-11-17 | 08:12 PM
sderman
Advanced

Thanks, yes I drove in the economy drive setting when I first got the car. The sensitivity was less. But for some reason months ago I switched to Normal (perhaps the sensitivity was a little too gentle) but didn't expect the bump in sensitivity. Thought that was more for the Sport setting. Will return to Eco and report back.
Returning to the Eco setting for a few days reminded why I finally settled on the Normal setting. On Eco, the RX pedal response just feels sluggish.
Old 08-12-17 | 04:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Returning to the Eco setting for a few days reminded why I finally settled on the Normal setting. On Eco, the RX pedal response just feels sluggish.
after driving in the normal mode for months, going to ECO is like tossing out an anchor.
Old 08-13-17 | 07:45 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
after driving in the normal mode for months, going to ECO is like tossing out an anchor.
Great analogy!
Old 08-14-17 | 12:25 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

You describe the exact behavior I posted about in the hesitation thread. It's one symptom of the terrible transmission programming.

Quick Reply: Overly Sensitive Gas Pedal/Throttle?