RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Performance Upgrade for 4RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 07:33 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Be careful with exhaust and intake. For one its hard to get a V6 to sound good.
Second, HP improvements will be minimal at best, if fact you could gain HP but lose low end torque which will actually make the car feel slower off the line. I know from experience.
Old 08-15-17, 07:43 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by classylux
I roommate spent thousands of dollars on Int&Exh upgrades for his Audi S5 and claims how he got 100-150hp more.
He's filthy rich so money is not a problem for him but is his claim over-exaggerated?
He is full of not-nice-things. Here is a very popular AWE system for Audis. http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...ance-exhaust-1

The goal of exhaust system is to free up ponies and gain some torque, but to actually add hp to an existing engine you need to tune it with a supercharger/turbo, etc. Or chip it on a German, which is like overclocking the engine but chances that you will be taking the bus after for a while are quite high
Old 08-15-17, 07:45 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
For one its hard to get a V6 to sound good.
GT-R fans are crying foul now
Old 01-09-20, 01:58 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Performance Tuning

Has anyone tried this product and if you have are you happy with it? https://performancechipsusa.com/lexu...SABEgISF_D_BwE
Old 01-09-20, 03:53 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by classylux
I roommate spent thousands of dollars on Int&Exh upgrades for his Audi S5 and claims how he got 100-150hp more.
He's filthy rich so money is not a problem for him but is his claim over-exaggerated?
Making more power on a forced induction motor is far easier and cheaper than a naturally aspirated engine. Turbo/Supercharged cars respond a lot better to simple mods like downpipes, exhausts, intercoolers, intakes, and just engine software re-tuning. Naturally aspirated vehicles can make power too but a lot less and costs a lot more.

The earlier S5's came with V8's i believe, and the V8's made pretty decent power by removing restriction despite being naturally aspirated from what I've heard. The later S5's came with supercharged V6's which being forced induction, made creating additional power a lot easier. You don't have to be filthy rich to make big power out of a forced induction car as long as you don't stick to the expensive exclusive brands. I'm not surprised to hear he made 100-150 horsepower more, although i'm sure that's at the crank and probably not at the wheels. The gains are definitely there though.

On my 2009 e92 335i (twin-turbo inline 6), all i did was software retune, intake, front mount intercooler, and axle-back exhaust. I made 380whp at the wheels on a dynojet dyno. That's probably close to 420horsepower at the crank. Roughly 120 more than the stock 300hp.
The following users liked this post:
lgb0250 (01-10-20)
Old 01-09-20, 04:26 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NFaridi
Making more power on a forced induction motor is far easier and cheaper than a naturally aspirated engine. Turbo/Supercharged cars respond a lot better to simple mods like downpipes, exhausts, intercoolers, intakes, and just engine software re-tuning. Naturally aspirated vehicles can make power too but a lot less and costs a lot more.

The earlier S5's came with V8's i believe, and the V8's made pretty decent power by removing restriction despite being naturally aspirated from what I've heard. The later S5's came with supercharged V6's which being forced induction, made creating additional power a lot easier. You don't have to be filthy rich to make big power out of a forced induction car as long as you don't stick to the expensive exclusive brands. I'm not surprised to hear he made 100-150 horsepower more, although i'm sure that's at the crank and probably not at the wheels. The gains are definitely there though.

On my 2009 e92 335i (twin-turbo inline 6), all i did was software retune, intake, front mount intercooler, and axle-back exhaust. I made 380whp at the wheels on a dynojet dyno. That's probably close to 420horsepower at the crank. Roughly 120 more than the stock 300hp.
Bingo! Anyone chasing power with an exhaust, intake or event some kind of "tune" on normally aspirated engines are only going to claim they can feel it because they spent too much money to claim they don't feel it.

The best thing you can do with a newer Lexus is to get the F-Sport to get the sport plus mode. I had a 2010 GS350 that I was always impressed with its performance. A few years later we bought my wife a 2014 GS350 with a couple more HP and upgraded to an eight speed automatic. At first I thought it was down about 50 hp compared to the 2010. I finally put it in Sport plus and found the problem. Lexus had neutered the car to get better fuel economy ratings. But in Sport plus the responsiveness was night and day better.

i cannot speak for the RX, but I'd bet that will make a huge difference in real world driving feel.

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-09-20 at 04:29 PM.
lgb0250 (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 03:42 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NFaridi
Sounds about like my F32 435i. The BM3 tune made a massive difference. Haven’t put it on a dyno but assume it’s cranking out 400+ now. That’s my toy. The RX is my wife’s so while performance enhancement would be nice, it’s not a necessity.
NFaridi (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 06:50 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

OP: I think if you want a more enjoyable/responsive driving feel, you can look into a Pedal Commander.

It won't actually give you more power, but you'll feel like it's much faster and responsive. It sharpens up the throttle response tremendously as per however much you want to set it. Just makes the gas pedal more sensitive. I have had it on my previous car and it made a world of a difference.
lgb0250 (01-10-20)
Old 11-18-21, 07:30 PM
E2W650
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake + chip

Has anyone successfully installed a boxed cold air intake on their RX 350?

it seems I can only find the filter.

Any installed a chip for tunning ?
Old 11-19-21, 08:11 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by E2W650
Has anyone successfully installed a boxed cold air intake on their RX 350?

it seems I can only find the filter.

Any installed a chip for tunning ?
Most here don't consider us to be hot rodders.
The following 2 users liked this post by autotech13:
JasDmw (11-19-21), ravenuer (11-20-21)
Old 11-19-21, 11:54 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts

Bear in mind that many folks who bolt up performance mods seem to think the results are additive. By that, I mean that they bolt up an intake that claims “25 additional hp”, and an exhaust that claims “25 additional hp” and a chip that claims “50 additional hp” and they think “hey I just added 100 hp”. Nope, the intake and chip and exhaust all are required to get any additional horsepower, they support each other. It’s seldom that adding an exhaust or chip or intake alone will add significant horsepower if no other mods are made. And sometimes a chip is merely changing the torque curve so it feels more responsive at low/moderate rpm but the top-end horsepower has actually dropped. Or, in some cases, merely bolting up a louder exhaust sounds faster (it’s louder) but in fact the dyno numbers show the horsepower has been reduced because the engine can’t support the free-flowing exhaust. I hear decel popping on a lot of cars with loud exhausts and wonder if they actually can now go any faster than they would’ve been with the quiet stock exhaust.
Old 11-29-21, 06:47 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxBill
Bear in mind that many folks who bolt up performance mods seem to think the results are additive. By that, I mean that they bolt up an intake that claims “25 additional hp”, and an exhaust that claims “25 additional hp” and a chip that claims “50 additional hp” and they think “hey I just added 100 hp”. Nope, the intake and chip and exhaust all are required to get any additional horsepower, they support each other. It’s seldom that adding an exhaust or chip or intake alone will add significant horsepower if no other mods are made. And sometimes a chip is merely changing the torque curve so it feels more responsive at low/moderate rpm but the top-end horsepower has actually dropped. Or, in some cases, merely bolting up a louder exhaust sounds faster (it’s louder) but in fact the dyno numbers show the horsepower has been reduced because the engine can’t support the free-flowing exhaust. I hear decel popping on a lot of cars with loud exhausts and wonder if they actually can now go any faster than they would’ve been with the quiet stock exhaust.
The truth is that on normally aspirated vehicles, picking up meaningful power is very difficult. A “tune” would likely add some responsiveness to throttle, but hardly anything in peak power. A cold air intake and cat back would likely add 10 Hp, but most people won’t even feel that in a blind test, although most people feel what they spent in order to justify it.
Old 11-29-21, 07:58 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The only realistic way to get noticeable power gain from a tune on NA motor is by adding ignition timing. This means you have to run even higher octane fuel to prevent knock. There may be some possible gains from adjusting fueling if the tuner has spent time with the motor on a dyno but timing is the main source of any NA tune gains.
Old 11-29-21, 11:36 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts

Back long ago, an engine that produced 1 hp per cubic inch was considered high-performance. So you would buy a car with a 350 Chevy small-block, order up a cam and intake and exhaust manifolds, throw on a Holley carb, and there you go. You picked up 75 hp or so over stock; of course, you now got maybe 10 miles per gallon but who cares? Well, those days ended decades ago. With the development of electronic fuel injection then computerized engine management systems with sensors monitoring every aspect of an engine’s operating parameters, and factory engineers whose sole job is to develop that particular engine’s tuning curve, cars can easily roll off the assembly line making 1 hp per cube—while getting 25 mpg or more! And no more going deaf from listening to those burnt-out Glasspacks peeking out from the sides of the car. All of that development and engineering work means that today it’s awfully hard to wring more power out of an engine.
The following 4 users liked this post by PhxBill:
dibl (11-29-21), jollick (11-30-21), ravenuer (11-29-21), TechNut (11-30-21)