RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

TPMS programming for second set of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 10:23 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks PeeVee, didn't know how that worked!
Old 11-11-19, 11:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'm still confused - when you do a tire rotation, is there another step to ensure the positions read accurately in the display RF, LF etc??
Old 11-11-19, 12:31 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm still confused - when you do a tire rotation, is there another step to ensure the positions read accurately in the display RF, LF etc??
If it detects that the positions have changed, you will see -- for every tire for a while and the pressure reading will appear again when rolling above 25 mph/40 kph for 10-15 minutes. During that period, it will reassess the sensors positions.
If you do a lot of stop and go during that period, it will take longer. When you change positions or program a new set of TPMS, you better go on a highway for a few minutes to get the sensors positions all figured out.

IF it does not detect, you can manually reset them so that it would start the position search manually:

Last edited by PeeVee; 11-11-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 12:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Got it - so it's the standard INITIALIZATION process.
Old 01-25-20, 08:46 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone used the Autel TPMS TS501 to learn/relearn and reconfigure ECU and will it work with an RX350 MY2017? Thanks
Old 01-27-20, 01:51 PM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there, well they do only remember one set of numbers, I have 2 sets of rims, and tires and sensors (winter/summer) What my dealership did was write down the tire pressure monitors code for each set and put them in there service centre computers. Apparently that will make it quicker and easier for them on my seasonal swaps.
Old 01-27-20, 02:46 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SilverFire
Hey there, well they do only remember one set of numbers, I have 2 sets of rims, and tires and sensors (winter/summer) What my dealership did was write down the tire pressure monitors code for each set and put them in there service centre computers. Apparently that will make it quicker and easier for them on my seasonal swaps.
Thanks ... do you get TPMS programming for free or you pay dealer ~$50+ every time they re-program your TPMS and provided it coincides with your SERV1/2/3 maintenance? If not, they'll charge $100+ by just doing rotation/swapping + programming on it's own. I have two sets of rims/tires and wanted to do it myself as seasonal tire swaps most often do not coincide with SERV1/2/3 scheds. Note the $ amounts I gave are fees here in Calgary.
Old 01-27-20, 04:51 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The easiest and most economical way is with a Carista. $26.99 Canadian dollars on Amazon. I just subscribe for a week each time I change the tires for $12.99 (first time is included in the cost of the dongle).
Old 01-28-20, 07:06 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Usual
The easiest and most economical way is with a Carista. $26.99 Canadian dollars on Amazon. I just subscribe for a week each time I change the tires for $12.99 (first time is included in the cost of the dongle).
Thanks, does it have the capability to re-learn TPMS ID's as I don't have both winter & summer set of wheels? Will it be able to at least read through OBD the current TPMS ID-set (winter tires) that's working.
Old 01-28-20, 07:33 AM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
Thanks ... do you get TPMS programming for free or you pay dealer ~$50+ every time they re-program your TPMS and provided it coincides with your SERV1/2/3 maintenance? If not, they'll charge $100+ by just doing rotation/swapping + programming on it's own. I have two sets of rims/tires and wanted to do it myself as seasonal tire swaps most often do not coincide with SERV1/2/3 scheds. Note the $ amounts I gave are fees here in Calgary.

Hello Again ^_^

Well Lexus down in Halifax charges $80 plus tax, programming included so say around $92 all in for Lexus to do the change. I went to Toyota this year to have my tires on rims swapped and it was around $65. I live in Sydney so the fuel bill to run to Halifax to get them swapped would cost more in fuel, but Lexus is part of Toyota Group so they have no issues swapping. GMC for my full ton Denali HD was like $50 plus tax. So if you're willing to go to Toyota or even another dealership ya should be able to shave a few dollars off the tire on rims swap price.

LOL It reminds me of when I was at the VW plant and you get to see the car bodies running down the assembly line. And at one point the exact same car bodies split to 2 different lanes, one side was for VW and the other side was for Audi and there was about $8k to $12k difference in the price of the exact same cars with just different badging. Same goes for Toyota/Lexus a lot of there models share the same frames, drivetrains, Transmissions, even bodies with different decals.

So the point is you can get it done cheaper in other places, we are getting charged a premium just because theses are Lexus's and our maintenance scales with the luxury cars prices.
Old 01-28-20, 07:44 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
Thanks, does it have the capability to re-learn TPMS ID's as I don't have both winter & summer set of wheels? Will it be able to at least read through OBD the current TPMS ID-set (winter tires) that's working.
It can read the IDs that are programmed. What I did was buy the dongle and activated it just before I took my vehicle in to have the tires changed by the dealer, read the ID's on the winter tires, then read the ID's from the summer tires after the dealer programmed them. I printed those out, and just have to type them in when I change tires myself.
Old 07-08-20, 02:58 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Bought the Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 (TPMS Programming tool) and worked like a charm

Originally Posted by Usual
It can read the IDs that are programmed. What I did was buy the dongle and activated it just before I took my vehicle in to have the tires changed by the dealer, read the ID's on the winter tires, then read the ID's from the summer tires after the dealer programmed them. I printed those out, and just have to type them in when I change tires myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by exonw:
ill57 (11-03-21), vlad353 (07-13-20)
Old 07-25-20, 08:19 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

My truck came with the factory 18s but I finally tracked down a set of the OEM take off 20’s. Unfortunately the guy took off his tpms sensors. It is a lease but I’m expecting to buy it out so in other words I don’t foresee myself going back to the 18s at all. Do you think I should just have the sensors in my 18s moved to the 20s in which case I don’t think I need to reprogram probably just reset with the button to reteach the new desired psi which I’m assuming will be different. Or should I buy a new set of sensors either OEM or aftermarket?
Old 07-27-20, 01:00 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Question for any one that has cloned the TPMS sensors to a second set of wheels - Can both sets of wheels (i.e., each set of wheels with the same IDs) be stored in close proximity to the car (like in the same home garage)?

Going to be using the maxitpms pad to clone my existing sensors to another set that will be used for winter wheels. I normally store the unused set on a rack in the garage - but i was uncertainif this would confuse the car.. or its just a no-never mind once i drive off from my garage.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-21, 02:17 PM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 RX350 TPMS not working after tire swap

Hey guys,

Bought my Lexus recently, a used 2016 RX350. Came with tires with TPMS.
Took my car in this November to get winter tires on.
I bought some winters off a guy on Craigslist that came with TPMS. He said he took them off his 2015 Lexus RX350.
Brought them into the Lexus dealership and left them overnight for the tire change.
Get a call in the morning that the TPMS doesn't work - a bit of searching later and they tell me that the 2015 TPMS doesn't work with my 2016 RX350.

Whatever right? Get the change anyways but they bill me extra for "attempting" the TPMS. Sure, fair enough.

Through the winter I move - I go to the Toyota dealership near me to swap out my winters back to my all seasons.
Ask them about TPMS and all that and they assure me that if the old tires had working TPMS, they'll swap back no problem.
Left the car with the overnight.
Come back the next day and they tell me that the TPMS doesn't work, and that there's no codes on file.

It's a fairly expensive fix to reprogram the TPMS.

Anyone know what's going on? Should I go back to the Lexus dealership about it? Or am I getting hosed lol.

Quick Reply: TPMS programming for second set of wheels?