RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

TPMS programming for second set of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 04:29 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I think there is a bit of confusion. You can reprogram the TPMS yourself, but you need the dealer's help if you need to recalibrate them.
In the OM there is the way to re-program them.
Also these TPMS have batteries and they don't last forever, so it may be a case of dead batteries in which case you need new ones.
Old 04-22-21, 05:48 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Before shelling out big money to have the tires broken down to manually read the ID of each sensor, you may want to check around with a few local tire vendors. Canadian tire, Discount tire or even a local tire shop? Many have tpms tools which can read the sensor IDs while on the car, then the tool either stores the IDs and it’s plugged into the aldl of your car and uploads sensor IDs or they can record the Ids and program them in using a scan tool. I personally have techstream knockoff, which can program in new or seasonal change IDs, many aftermarket scanners can do this as well.
Old 04-22-21, 11:47 PM
xjdl2
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried using Carista and a bog standard $20 odbII reader to input TPMS ID's? According to their webpage their app does it...
Old 04-23-21, 05:46 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 241 Likes on 166 Posts

This sounds fishy to me. Any dealer should be able to read sensors on the car; they should have the tool for that. Unless it's because the sensor batteries are toast. If they don't/can't read "good" sensors, I'd run. Perhaps they are trying to get $$ out of you? How much are they going to charge?

I have the Ateq tool. It allows you to program the car for the specific set of tires/sensors you want to mount, seasonally. I am having issues, though, as the summers won't show the current pressure on the dash display. Idiot light is not illuminated, So I am going to my local Toyota store next week to have them reprogram the system. They will read the summer sensors, on the tires, reprogram the car and I should be good to go. They will also give me the codes for the 4 sensors, which I will load into my Ateq tool for next year. I took delivery last November with the winter tire set on the car and have those codes programmed into my Ateq tool. The display did show the pressures for those tires all winter.

I'm going to the local Toyota store because it's closer and 1/2 the price of the Lexus store. I'm going to pay $34.95 for this.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (04-23-21)
Old 04-27-21, 09:11 AM
uvmshoob
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
This sounds fishy to me. Any dealer should be able to read sensors on the car; they should have the tool for that. Unless it's because the sensor batteries are toast. If they don't/can't read "good" sensors, I'd run. Perhaps they are trying to get $$ out of you? How much are they going to charge?

I have the Ateq tool. It allows you to program the car for the specific set of tires/sensors you want to mount, seasonally. I am having issues, though, as the summers won't show the current pressure on the dash display. Idiot light is not illuminated, So I am going to my local Toyota store next week to have them reprogram the system. They will read the summer sensors, on the tires, reprogram the car and I should be good to go. They will also give me the codes for the 4 sensors, which I will load into my Ateq tool for next year. I took delivery last November with the winter tire set on the car and have those codes programmed into my Ateq tool. The display did show the pressures for those tires all winter.

I'm going to the local Toyota store because it's closer and 1/2 the price of the Lexus store. I'm going to pay $34.95 for this.
Interesting on the sensors not showing the pressures. I have the Autel tool for my wheel changes. I basically "reprogram" the car to recognize the "new" sensors each Fall and Spring. I hope I don't have that issue...

It would be interesting to lower the pressure in one of your tires to 10 psi and see if the car can tell?

Old 04-27-21, 09:51 AM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I'll provide an update.

Took it back to the Lexus dealer because they were puzzled. After about 30 minutes they fixed it.
Turns out the Toyota dealer had added a..."5th tire code" to the wheels. They deleted the code and things went back to normal.
No idea why the Toyota dealer did that.

Very pleased with my Lexus dealer though. Definitely took care of it. And I think the Toyota service was fine as well. Just probably a sleepy tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by notasubaru:
exonw (05-10-21), frankymenz (04-27-21)
Old 11-21-21, 01:31 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Have another question for the experts on TPMS here. I have 2 sets of tires/wheels with genuine Lexus sensors for opposite seasons. Just had the winter set installed and reprogrammed by the local Toyota store (long story, won't bother you with that). The advisor said it doesn't matter which wheel ends up where on the car, as long as the car is programmed to read the codes, it (the appropriate computer) will figure out which corner which sensor is at. Does that make sense to you folks? I would have thought one would need to tell the car which sensor was where as the tires are rotated seasonally.
Old 11-21-21, 02:05 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Have another question for the experts on TPMS here. I have 2 sets of tires/wheels with genuine Lexus sensors for opposite seasons. Just had the winter set installed and reprogrammed by the local Toyota store (long story, won't bother you with that). The advisor said it doesn't matter which wheel ends up where on the car, as long as the car is programmed to read the codes, it (the appropriate computer) will figure out which corner which sensor is at. Does that make sense to you folks? I would have thought one would need to tell the car which sensor was where as the tires are rotated seasonally.
As far as I know the computer cannot detect where the tpms is located, but only which tire is low because that's the information that is sent, it registers the location of the tpms when calibrating and keeps it. so if one changes the tpms location one must recalibrate, also after recalibration one must drive 4-5 Km before the tpms reading appears.

Last edited by Cocal; 11-22-21 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 10:52 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

It works the way the advisor told you. The 2020 owner's manual says the TPMS system must be initialized after tire rotation, and "- - will be displayed for inflation pressure of each tire on the multi-information display while the tire pressure warning system determines the position of each tire. When position of each tire is determined, the inflation pressure of each tire will be displayed on the multi-information display." The initialization process is documented in the owner's manual. I've rotated the tires on my RX a couple of times and the process worked as advertised.
Old 11-22-21, 01:19 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Thanks much for this. Should have checked out the manual first! Might explain the issues I've had with the car not reading the sensors when I loaded them!
bamalam (11-22-21)
Old 03-25-23, 08:44 AM
2018johnsc
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming TPMS 2022 RX450h

This is an old thread. I need to ask if anyone knows how to reprogram TPMS on my 2022 RX450h. I have one set of OEM 20" wheels that came on the vehicle, and one set of aftermarket 18" wheels with high profile winter tires. I purchased OEM TPMS transmitters for the aftermarket wheels from. Bought the wheels and tires from Discount Tires. They were able to reprogram the new TPMS monitors and the individual tire pressure read out worked great.

Then I moved from CA to PA. [size=13px]No Discount Tires within 200 miles.[/size]

Last week I took RX into the dealership and asked them to swap out snow tires and wheels for summers. $60 to swap out the wheels and $80 to reprogram the TPMS !! I told them no thank you. [size=13px] [/size]

I then swapped out the wheels/tires to the summer set in my garage. I bought a 2023 Autel TPMS Relearn Tool TS408 from Amazon. It would not reset the TMPS codes so I sent it back.

[size=13px]I took the vehicle to a local tire shop to reset the TPMS. I told them they will have to use a reset tool that plugs into the OBDII. They said they did but it didn't work.
I had to take it to the dealership and pay the big buck to do a job that took them all of 10 minutes. [/size]

SO, does anyone know if the 2022 RX450h will carry two sets of TMPS monitor codes in the computer? If so, how does one switch from one to the other. The last entry into this thread about an NX looks promising. I tried to follow the direction in my Owners manual and just hold the reset button in once. It said they were reset but it didn't work.

Second, if a 2022 RX450h cannot store two sets, is there a way to switch from one set of OEM TPMS monitors to the other without having to pay the stealership?

Thanks
John
Old 03-25-23, 09:29 AM
uvmshoob
Rookie

RE: OEM TPMS monitors to the other without having to pay the stealership?

I run 2 sets of wheels and tires (1 OEM, 1 Aftermarket) on my daughter's 2016 RAV4 and my wife's 2020 RX-L.

I use the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 each time I switch summers to winters or vice versa. It's not the most intuitive tool when used 2x per year, but I wrote out my specific procedure to save me from using the manual each time.

The procedure I use is to "relearn" each sensor with every wheel change - a 5-minute process of going around the car and using the tool to scan each of the four "new" sensors and write them to the ECU via the OBDII.

Was it intuitive to figure out which procedure to use with the Autel tool? Initially no. Could my cars store both sets of sensors so I don't have to re-scan each time? Maybe, but not in my experience. Is it "a pain" to use the scan tool now that I know what to do? No. It's 5 minutes. And it paid for itself in one year vs. the $tealer.

My $.02.
Old 03-25-23, 09:37 AM
2018johnsc
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your experience. The TMPS tool I bought, 2023 Autel TPMS Relearn Tool TS408, also had a relearn function described exactly as you described above. I agree that the instructions are not very good. Comes from translating from Chinese to English. After several attempts to get it to work I finally got to the point where it was ready to relearn the codes and it gave me an error message saying that my TPMS sensors (ordered from Lexus) are not compatible with reprogramming to a new code.
Old 03-25-23, 09:46 AM
uvmshoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2018johnsc
Thanks for your experience. The TMPS tool I bought, 2023 Autel TPMS Relearn Tool TS408, also had a relearn function described exactly as you described above. I agree that the instructions are not very good. Comes from translating from Chinese to English. After several attempts to get it to work I finally got to the point where it was ready to relearn the codes and it gave me an error message saying that my TPMS sensors (ordered from Lexus) are not compatible with reprogramming to a new code.
Sounds less than fun. I'm guessing you updated the Autel to have the latest codes? I don't bother with updates because my sensors haven't changed in 3 years.

That's crazy if Lexus is providing a sensor that's not compatible with a tool like the one you had. Like Apple preventing non-Apple cables from working with an iPhone.

I guess I'm lucky the OEM sensors (2016 and 2020) are compatible with the tool. I hope you get a better answer than mine.

Old 03-25-23, 05:03 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018johnsc
This is an old thread. I need to ask if anyone knows how to reprogram TPMS on my 2022 RX450h. I have one set of OEM 20" wheels that came on the vehicle, and one set of aftermarket 18" wheels with high profile winter tires. I purchased OEM TPMS transmitters for the aftermarket wheels from. Bought the wheels and tires from Discount Tires. They were able to reprogram the new TPMS monitors and the individual tire pressure read out worked great.

Then I moved from CA to PA. [size=13px]No Discount Tires within 200 miles.[/size]

Last week I took RX into the dealership and asked them to swap out snow tires and wheels for summers. $60 to swap out the wheels and $80 to reprogram the TPMS !! I told them no thank you. [size=13px] [/size]

I then swapped out the wheels/tires to the summer set in my garage. I bought a 2023 Autel TPMS Relearn Tool TS408 from Amazon. It would not reset the TMPS codes so I sent it back.

[size=13px]I took the vehicle to a local tire shop to reset the TPMS. I told them they will have to use a reset tool that plugs into the OBDII. They said they did but it didn't work.
I had to take it to the dealership and pay the big buck to do a job that took them all of 10 minutes. [/size]

SO, does anyone know if the 2022 RX450h will carry two sets of TMPS monitor codes in the computer? If so, how does one switch from one to the other. The last entry into this thread about an NX looks promising. I tried to follow the direction in my Owners manual and just hold the reset button in once. It said they were reset but it didn't work.

Second, if a 2022 RX450h cannot store two sets, is there a way to switch from one set of OEM TPMS monitors to the other without having to pay the stealership?

Thanks
John
If the TPMS sensors on the vehicle are not the ones programmed into the ECU the system can go into a closed loop, most often if someone pushes the reset button. If that happens and you connect your Autel or any other scan tool to the OBD it will be locked out and not be able to upload new sensor ID’s. You will need a scan tool or a separate tool that will perform a Toyota ECU Reset. Once that is done the system will let you store the new ID’s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oCM6G03UsUs&t=84s

Last edited by lexo98; 03-25-23 at 06:53 PM.
ravenuer (03-26-23)

Quick Reply: TPMS programming for second set of wheels?