RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016-17 Lexus RX 350 VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17 | 07:20 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Ok. Found it. The Sienna had/has what's called STAR Safety System. I was confusing this with VDIM.

"The 2011 Sienna was designed around the idea that keeping your family safe is the ultimate parental responsibility. Which is why it surrounds you with Toyota's Star Safety System, ™ a combination of five safety features that are standard on every Sienna: Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) - 1.) integrates controls that coordinate the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist, 2.) Traction Control (TRAC) and Electric Power Steering (EPS). They're called "active" safety features because they're designed to proactively respond in certain situations to help prevent accidents from occurring in the first place"
Old 11-11-17 | 09:21 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Lets say doing 70 in manual mode, downshift 2 gears and mash on the pedal to pass someone (no lane changing). Car pulls to one side - torque steer - all wheels PSI are the same. Off the line - enable 50/50 lockout and disable traction control. Definitely less noticeable. 295-300 hp no slouch either. One of the best torque steer cars was a Horizon GLH Turbo. Mid 1980's fwd Carolla's were a blast to feel the torque steer even with a 100hp 4 banger. You don't need a lot of hp to torque steer a car. Just drive it hard to its limit. Ok getting back on track. In general I do have to say that with the RX's soft suspension its a freeway cruiser and not a handling machine. It gets very unsettled in panic stops when everyone locks them up to rubber neck a car pulled off to the side of the road. I did see one other stability system on the Sienna's I need to find its name. Can't remember off hand.
I had a 450h loaner yesterday, and noticed a pull when i stepped hard on the gas. Haven't noticed it al all on my 350 tho.
Old 11-11-17 | 11:19 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Lets say doing 70 in manual mode, downshift 2 gears and mash on the pedal to pass someone (no lane changing). Car pulls to one side - torque steer - all wheels PSI are the same.
It sounds more like your car is getting squirrelly due to the harsh transition to engine braking caused by downshifting two gears without giving it an appropriate amount of throttle to keep the engine rpms up. I suggest that you stop using that technique. It's hard enough to do that technique without bumping into engine braking in a manual transmission high performance sports car let alone a boulevard cruiser like an RX. Why not leave the transmission in auto mode and let it downshift on its own when it needs to?
Old 11-11-17 | 12:11 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Too many years of performance autos, wagons and suv's. LOL!!! I know I got a blvd cruiser, I just forget that it is (too sporty looking). I do love it as my daily driver to work and going on trips out of town. I probably should have gotten the FSport. I liked it better. I was just trying to be practical with the family and save some $$$.
Old 07-24-18 | 04:39 PM
Emaniat
Driver

So took this photo from a Toyota YouTube video about VDIM. It has the same systems it monitors like my 2011 AWD Ltd Sienna’s STAR system. They just renamed it and probably tweaked the software. No wonder why the Sienna handles better than the base RX 350.
Ok. Found it. The Sienna had/has what's called STAR Safety System. I was confusing this with VDIM.

"The 2011 Sienna was designed around the idea that keeping your family safe is the ultimate parental responsibility. Which is why it surrounds you with Toyota's Star Safety System, ™ a combination of five safety features that are standard on every Sienna: Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) - 1.) integrates controls that coordinate the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist, 2.) Traction Control (TRAC) and Electric Power Steering (EPS). They're called "active" safety features because they're designed to proactively respond in certain situations to help prevent accidents from occurring in the first place"