RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 08:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
I have the same issue. My 450 RxH is now 8 months old and has just 2000 miles on the odometer. I work from home, so I just start my car once a week for short spin. I have no plans to take my car in for a service until I have had a Covid-19 vaccine. The ICU's are close to full in my state. With the raging pandemic, and higher risk for my 60+ age group, a service, complementary or not is just not worth it.
And even higher risk for my 70+ age group! Your RXh should be able to handle extended periods of nonuse better than regular ICE-only vehicles. The ICE in most and maybe all hybrid vehicles from Toyota are started from the traction battery instead of from the 12V battery. The traction battery charge declines more slowly than the 12V battery during periods of nonuse. You should be able to monitor the charge state of the traction battery via the hybrid battery status gauge without driving your RXh.

As I recently mentioned in another thread, many dealerships including the Lexus dealership here offer "contactless" no-charge valet services under which they will pick up your vehicle from your driveway and handle payment by phone. Dealerships here that didn't already have this kind of valet service have introduced them during the pandemic.

Part of our morning retiree routine is watching the daily (8 AM Central Time) University of Kansas Health System pandemic update on Facebook. There's been a huge spike in COVID-19 related admissions during the past two weeks and noncritical surgeries are being postponed. They didn't use the term "triage" but it's obvious that is the direction it's going if people don't start behaving with social distancing and mask wearing ... physicians deciding who gets treatment and who doesn't ... essentially deciding who lives and who dies.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 10:27 AM
amindu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local dealer said they have a 6 month grace period.
Old 11-12-20, 10:44 AM
Larry10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemu30
$400???? Aren't the 5K and 10K services the complimentary ones?
only if you get them within the 12 month period.
Old 11-12-20, 12:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry10
Got it. OP should have had the oil changed regardless of mileage at the 12 month mark anyway.
Old 11-12-20, 02:27 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry10
Cry "Pandemic" -- I'll bet you can find a dealer that says "OK". But the oil change is not in the complimentary service at 5K miles, only the wheel rotation and inspection. And I strongly advise the alignment check -- I regret not doing that at 5K myself, based on what I learned later about my prematurely worn out tires.
Old 11-12-20, 08:10 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

The 6 month 5K freebie is basically an “inspection” and they program any of the options that you’d like. They send you a letter showing all the possible options, the only one I found useful was for all my windows and sunroof to open up if I held the unlock button.

I also haven’t put many mileage on my 2019 RX and due to the original COVID spike I didn’t feel the need to have random ppl going through my truck. When things settled a bit I took her in to get a synthetic oil change / tire rotation, the transmission downshift tsb done, and to have the before mentioned window option programmed.

They gave me a loaner 2020 RX for a day but due to COVID they were rotating the service guys shifts and no one ever called me lol. I had it for a week longer before the service manager called me freaking out to please pick it up that day (end of the month) so they could close out the job. Anyway I got the bring it at least once every 12 months regardless of mileage speech (I had 3,000 miles)

To my surprise when I went to pay the guy said no charge first oil change service is on the house. This was 15 months into ownership, so I was really expecting it to have expired.
Old 11-12-20, 09:25 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Per the Lexus maintenance schedule, your car doesn't need anything done until 5K miles, regardless of the passage of time. They don't even call for an oil change until 10K miles (I change mine every 5K -- I'm old school).

I would call your nearest dealer when you hit 4,900 miles, and ask them if they'll honor the complimentary service even though the year is up. No harm in asking -- they might say "YES" just to get you into their dealership. Then you can provide 6 qt. of the 0W-20 synthetic oil of your choice, or ask them to go ahead and change the oil and filter with their oil. They'll charge you a bit for that but not a lot more than your local quickie-lube.

From my "lessons learned", I would also ask them to check the wheel alignment, and adjust it if it is out of spec. In my experience, the dealer's price for that is within $5 of what the local chain tire shop will charge for the same service.

They'll inspect all your fluids, brakes, tires, fuel system, etc. and not charge extra for that. If it is an AWD, they'l rotate the wheels.
Same here, 6 months or 5000 miles then oil needs to be changed. I drive pretty fast, so need to change it more often.
If you think about it, 10 years, or 120,000 miles, will cost you $2400 in oil changes in todays dollars. $1200, if you change it every 10K.
My friend drives pretty fast too, and his Infiniti built up sludge in the engine cause he used recycled Valvoline oil. So, I am not going to risk that.
Old 11-13-20, 07:15 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus recommends maintenance based on time or mileage. My wife and I do not drive the cars enough to follow the mileage chart so I follow the time chart. My wife bought a 2020 RX350 in Oct of 2019. I skipped the "free" 5000 mile/6 month inspection since it is only an inspection and she had about 2000 miles on the car and it was during the lock-down. I recently bought it in for the one year maintenance with only 4000 miles on the car because the oil and filter should be changed at least once a year and it is included with the purchase of the car. My 2018 RX350 is due for its 3 year maintenance in January but I only have 12500 miles on the car. I will have maintenance done by either the dealer or a trusted local repair place. I have always changed oil every three months/3000 miles in the old days and now every year with synthetic. It is cheap insurance to avoid the expense of having an engine rebuilt.
As other have said, it never hurts to ask for the free service since you already paid for it when you purchased the car. If the dealer declines, call the Lexus customer 800 number and plead your case there. The few times I called them, they were very helpful.
Old 11-14-20, 11:50 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Lexus pays the Dealer for these visits with a 6 month grace period.
Show up for the 6 month/5K mile inspection & tire rotate within a year and
come back for the 12 month 10K mile Synthetic LOF & tire rotate within 18 months.
Outside of that period it is up to the Dealer to absorb the costs.
Old 11-14-20, 03:56 PM
LwagsHamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am late in responding. Think it was somewhere about $275. But, seems the determining event should be mileage rather than a "hard" 6 months. I was about a month or so beyond 6 months, and well below 7,500 miles.
Old 11-14-20, 05:18 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

you can always go to a Toyota dealership and get oil changed there. The 4th gen RX uses the same engine as Toyota Tacoma, 2GR-FKS. The oil filter will be the same. Its $55 compared to $100 at the Lexus dealership for synthetic oil. I ask them to rotate tires, and they do it for free.

I have 40k miles & I am not going to go to Lexus dealership until 60K checkup, That is the expensive one, and they check for everything suspension, brakes, leaks etc.... Until then just regular oil change + rotate tires from Toyota dealership. Stuff like air filter and cabin filter. you can change yourself.

Don't waste your money on unnecessary inspections unless you have an obvious leak in your garage or sound coming suspension, brakes.

I am shocked people paying $400 service for new cars with less than 30K miles.

Last edited by Lexus4rx; 11-14-20 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ellocovg (11-16-20)
Old 11-18-20, 10:03 AM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm an old guy. Have owned several RX's. My current 2017 RX 350 has all of 14,000 miles on it. Wise decision or not, I paid cash for the car and then I purchased the 5 year service agreement - they made me a deal "I couldn't refuse". I obviously come no where close to the miles for service intervals. Just the 6 months recommended. Take the car in, get a free loaner, and pick up at the end of the day.
Having oil changes, check ups at a little less expensive Toyota dealership, or having receipts from independent shops for service at required intervals, will majorly reduce the trade in value if you want to buy/lease another Lexus. Paying more at a Lexus dealer pays off in the long run. Even if selling to a private party. What is the saying, 'Penny wise, dollar foolish'?
Old 11-18-20, 10:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by GregT
I'm an old guy. Have owned several RX's. My current 2017 RX 350 has all of 14,000 miles on it. Wise decision or not, I paid cash for the car and then I purchased the 5 year service agreement - they made me a deal "I couldn't refuse". I obviously come no where close to the miles for service intervals. Just the 6 months recommended. Take the car in, get a free loaner, and pick up at the end of the day.
Having oil changes, check ups at a little less expensive Toyota dealership, or having receipts from independent shops for service at required intervals, will majorly reduce the trade in value if you want to buy/lease another Lexus. Paying more at a Lexus dealer pays off in the long run. Even if selling to a private party. What is the saying, 'Penny wise, dollar foolish'?
Based on the amount of miles you seem to drive, you would have been better off just paying for the services as needed which in your case would be oil changes and tire rotations. Our 2017 has 50K miles on it now and that's all I've done other than a new set of tires and filter changes which I do myself. But I do bring it to the Lexus dealer for those services.
Old 11-18-20, 03:46 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Based on the amount of miles you seem to drive, you would have been better off just paying for the services as needed which in your case would be oil changes and tire rotations. Our 2017 has 50K miles on it now and that's all I've done other than a new set of tires and filter changes which I do myself. But I do bring it to the Lexus dealer for those services.
Yea, pretty much oil changes and tire rotations until you hit 100K. Changing suspension parts can be expensive on this model because the rear suspension is different.
RX is a very reliable SUV. I've seen several 2004 models with 300K mileage plus on the road. 50K is nothing.
Old 11-23-20, 10:47 AM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@Mikemu30 - you are probably right on regarding cost/savings on oil changes, tire rotations. My experience has been, after a few RX's, to have anything done at a non Lexus dealership (including Toyota) (even minor things like filter changes) makes a world of difference if/when you plan to sell the car to the the max due to you. Unfortunately Toyota/independant service doesn't count even when you have the service invoices. Probably not fair as the service needs were adhered to. And, if you plan to hold on, drive the car 'into the ground' (not a bad idea), it makes no never mind. If however, someone wants to get the best resale, maybe trade in, having Lexus perform all recommended services, paying too much, might be the best idea in the long run.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements