RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 07:40 AM
jthefaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IRRX350
RX, the apt is next week so I haven't handed over keys just yet - the price just seems a bit too high so I'm wondering if I should go in a different direction. Aside from all filters, he mentioned tire rotation and draining fluids. Also, changing wiper blades and inspection of a bunch of stuff.

Thanks, Eddie - I'll try that. I do want to get the car serviced as I have had it for a year now and haven't done any work on it, but $1300. Is this even in the ballpark of what people have paid / heard of? I guess that is what I really need to understand.
I wish I would have joined this forum before I had my 30k service done last week. The Lexus dealer quoted me $750 on the phone. When I dropped it off, they said no, cost will be $1,250. I asked if the extra stuff was Lexus recommended and they said yes but was my choice. I figured if Lexus recommends it, I should do it. I feel like a schmuck. I guess with the dealer not having many cars to sell, they're going to screw their customers through the service department.

Finally, signs everywhere state that due to COVID, no car washes included with service. What the heck does COVID have to do with washing your car after an expensive service? COVID is the new excuse/reason to provide less service and value for more money!!
Old 02-20-22, 09:48 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 469 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jthefaz
I wish I would have joined this forum before I had my 30k service done last week. The Lexus dealer quoted me $750 on the phone. When I dropped it off, they said no, cost will be $1,250. I asked if the extra stuff was Lexus recommended and they said yes but was my choice. I figured if Lexus recommends it, I should do it. I feel like a schmuck. I guess with the dealer not having many cars to sell, they're going to screw their customers through the service department.

Finally, signs everywhere state that due to COVID, no car washes included with service. What the heck does COVID have to do with washing your car after an expensive service? COVID is the new excuse/reason to provide less service and value for more money!!
Yeah....have to be careful.

I attached the spreadsheet that I made for my RX. I do all of the basic stuff and only use dealer for warranty or big jobs. DIY is great to save $$$ (and fun sometimes) if you enjoy. Otherwise you need to find another place....try Toyota dealership or independent which will be much less. The intervals are in blue....I do oil at about 5k - 7k....cheap and easy and I keep my vehicles forever.

In two years I probably spent only a couple of hundred $$$ total.
Attached Files
Old 02-20-22, 11:15 AM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In 5 years of ownership I’ve only spent $350, which was basically a tire replacement. I thought I was having a tire pressure sensor issue because I never located a nail.

Turned out it was a nail on the inner side wall. Shame on me for not removing the tire.
Old 02-20-22, 11:29 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcheap
In 5 years of ownership I’ve only spent $350, which was basically a tire replacement. I thought I was having a tire pressure sensor issue because I never located a nail.

Turned out it was a nail on the inner side wall. Shame on me for not removing the tire.
Same here. I have only spent money for tires on my 2018. I have the oil changed here and there at independants, and have never fallen for the maintenance inspections, which are just fluf and money makers for dealers. They do not do any real work and are just a waste of money.
Old 02-20-22, 03:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Otherwise, you still have three original tires after five years? I guess you don't drive much.
Old 02-21-22, 10:41 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Otherwise, you still have three original tires after five years? I guess you don't drive much.
Says he spent 350 which would be 80-90 each for 4 tires. Possible.
Old 02-21-22, 11:07 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Says he spent 350 which would be 80-90 each for 4 tires. Possible.
No, he said "for a tire replacement". Not such a great deal, even when installed and balanced. But, in an urgency situation, you pay.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 02:37 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 417 Posts

So, you never replaced the oil or any of the filters in 5 years?
Old 02-21-22, 03:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
So, you never replaced the oil or any of the filters in 5 years?
This math doesn't quite work but whatever. Five oil changes (min one per year) have to cost $200 or so. Clearly not driving many miles.
Old 03-31-22, 11:16 AM
Bobdeb01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 maintenance cost

First Lexus and struggling with the cost of every 5,000 maintenance schedule. Didn’t know this till after we bought the car. We drive a lot miles per year and I’m due now for 30,000 miles and been quoted about $900. Im in Tampa area and wondering if this is about in ballpark. Thanks
Old 03-31-22, 01:00 PM
DesertFox6
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the 30K service performed on my UX, the recommendations are the same as for the RX. To keep costs down I asked them to only do the oil change, oil filter change and brake fluid change (they also performed a visual inspection while it was on the lift). The engine air filter, cabin air filter and key fob battery were sourced from my local parts store for under $50 and installed in under 10 minutes. I paid $300 for the above mentioned services in Arizona, so $900 sounds really high to me.

Hope this helps.

2022 RX 350 Eminent White Pearl (Blackline Edition)
2019 UX 200 Atomic Silver
Bobdeb01 (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 01:04 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bobdeb01
First Lexus and struggling with the cost of every 5,000 maintenance schedule. Didn’t know this till after we bought the car. We drive a lot miles per year and I’m due now for 30,000 miles and been quoted about $900. Im in Tampa area and wondering if this is about in ballpark. Thanks
The 30,000 mile service should be much less than this.

If you do it yourself the cost will be less than $100.
If you go to an independent or Toyota dealer it will be maybe $200.

it is basically an oil change, and replacing an engine and cabin filter.
The rest is inspections.
Brake fluid is by time or condition of fluid. Testing condition of fluid is easy with a $10 testing device. Mine was in perfect condition at 30k.
The rear differential and transfer case oil if you do at 30,000 miles might be $100 each if done by a shop.

❑ Add EFI fuel tank additive (Hawaii and Puerto Rico only)

❏ Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter1
  • ❑ Reset oil maintenance reminder, if oil was changed
  • ❑ Reset scheduled maintenance reminder
  • ❏ Re-torque nuts and bolts of drive

shaft (AWD)
  • ❏ Replace cabin air filter
  • ❏ Replace brake fluid
  • ❏ Replace engine air filter
  • ❏ Inspect the following:

__Axle shaft boots
    __Ball joints and dust covers
    __Body
    __Brake lines and hoses
    __Brake rotor thickness and runout __Engine coolant (see page 70) __Exhaust pipes and mountings __Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank

band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
❏ Replace Smart Key battery
❏ Rotate tires
❏ Visually inspect brake pads, calipers

and rotors
❏ Check installation of driver’s floor mat ❏ Road test vehicle

__Fuel tank cap gasket __Rack-and-pinion assembly __Rear differential oil (AWD) __Steering linkage and boots __Transfer case oil (AWD) __Transmission fluid cooler hoses

and connections __Transmission for signs of leakage __Wiper blades

36 Months or 30,000 Miles

[img]blob:https://www.clublexus.com/c6925bbc-c388-4034-b965-f442653f0ed5[/img]If you drive primarily under any of these special operating conditions, perform these additional items:

Driving off-road, on dirt roads or on dusty roads:

❏ Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
Towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier or heavy vehicle loading:

❏ Replace rear differential oil (AWD) ❏ Replace transfer case oil (AWD) ❏ Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
Bobdeb01 (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 05:17 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I would never do DIY on my 17 Lexus RX 350. If you screw up, you will pay more. You don’t know exact amount of oil to put in, how much torque for the washer and bolts and which oil to use.

The lifetime cost of oil change every 10k mile is in today’s money is $3000 and you don’t have any problems. They top all fluids and rotate tire for you.

Is it worth the effort to do DIY to save $1500? Probably you can focus that effort making money elsewhere.

If you take care of your car drive on good roads you only need to maintain

oil and filter changes
brake and rotor changes
battery change
tire change

after 200k mile better to sell car because then your looking spend more money to maintain car but Lexus go easily 300k miles

those big ticket item like suspension, axle, engine foundation, catalyst converter, wheel bearing happen after 10+ year old models

Last edited by Lexus4rx; 03-31-22 at 05:22 PM.
Bobdeb01 (03-31-22)
Old 04-01-22, 01:23 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Some people enjoy doing DIY and some prefer to pay others to do the work....both are fine.
I am like you in that I put on lots of miles every year, so DIY makes lots of sense for me.

Information is readily available how to do these basic tasks (materials, specs, etc....most of this information is in the owners manual that came with the car), and there are many many videos (including those posted here on how to do these jobs correctly).

I would contend that many drivers are as qualified as the beginner techs that are assigned these types of jobs, but that is a very personal call as to how comfortable you are do DIY.
I know that I am more motivated to do it carefully and correctly than the 18 year old kid that does 15 of these per day.

Each of my last 5 cars over the past 20+ were maintained by me for the basic stuff and I am sure that I saved many thousands of dollars doing my own work....plus I enjoy it. I sold my last Acura at 305,000 miles and did almost all of the work, saving easily $10k in dealer recommended service.

The sad news is that manufactures are making vehicles less DIY friendly, and dealers are charging crazy hourly rates, forcing many to pay $900 for 30k service. I drive about 26k/year so for me the choice is easy...plus I enjoy the work.

Either way, enjoy the new ride. Love my RX!

DesertFox6 (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22, 11:16 PM
DesertFox6
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Quantum501 I prefer doing my own maintenance, however I do agree with his statement: “The sad news is that manufactures are making vehicles less DIY friendly”. I chose to have the dealer tackle the fluid changes because I no longer have the proper equipment to safely work underneath the vehicle.

My current RX is my fifth Lexus and I’m hoping that with a lot of love and preventative maintenance I’ll be able to enjoy it for many more years and miles.
Quantum501 (03-03-23)

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements