RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22 | 08:22 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I have been doing my oil changes after the first freebie on my 2017. This is the easiest and less messy oil change of the cars I have owned.

The torque specs have been published here and typically listed in the manual that comes with the oil filter.
The oil capacity is listed in the manual (a little over 5qt) and you can just fill it up with 5qt and then recheck if you need to add more.

An Oil change is simple, but it is one of those things that if you are not a handy man, then you should not be doing it. It greatly helps if someone experienced walks you through the process. In the past I have had the drain bolt overtorqued by mechanics and strip the thread, requiring an oil pan replacement. So do not assume that the mechanic doing an oil change is very experienced. Those tasks are typically assigned to junior techs that might not have too much experience, are rushed, or simply do not take care in what they are doing. In the end, it boils down to quality control and training.They should be much more experienced and trained that a handy person that changes the oil once a year, but it is not always so. The advantage is those mechanics are backed by a large company that can guarantee the work if something goes wrong. In short, not something to risk if you are not certain of what you are doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexnewbi:
DesertFox6 (04-03-22), ghost31711 (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22 | 10:25 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

I do my own oil change and for things that are easier and faster if you have proper equipment like brake fluid, coolant (for proper disposal), transmission fluid. I take it to a trusted shop for these "generic" maintenances.

So no matter what brand of car I drive it's the same techs that work on my vehicles. become a regular and be friends with them. When Warrenty period is over and something needs fixing, they'll pass on the wholesale price from dealers to me and I just pay their labor.

Not only that you will have aftermarket parts they carry to select from. For things like a bent wheel, broken headlight, they'll even help you source junk years parts. I mean suppose your car is 8 years old, is there any reason you want a brand new shiny headlight that weirdly stands out? If you got so much money to burn at the dealership you're probably gonna sell the car soon anyways.

They will be able to perform 95% of the work you will ever need from experience, and for the remaining 5% they will look at the service manual on their laptop. If they can't do it because they need certain manufacturer's software licensing BS and they don't have that then the dealer will still be willing to take an advantage of you.

But hey, it's your money. I just prefer Starbucks coffee over that dealership stuff. For the money these independent shops save me I can buy coffee for their entire staff, tip my tech and extra $5-$10 and still be saving money.

Last edited by ghost31711; 04-03-22 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dibl (04-03-22)
Old 07-15-22 | 11:00 AM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Default 2016 RX350 Service Questions

Hi all,
A few dumb questions but I wanted to make sure I didn't get hosed by the service department when I went in.
I have a 2016 Lexus RX with 65k on it. Service done fairly regularly.
The service advisor suggested:
  • Engine carbon clean: I've read that this is silly to do, so I will decline
  • Transmission fluid change: I've read that this can be done closer to 100k, but can someone verify? I don't drive the car very hard, no towing at all, etc.
  • Coolant fluid change: I expect this to be changed sometime, but couldn't find the intervals
Was wondering what your opinions were.
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-15-22 | 05:43 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by notasubaru
Hi all,
A few dumb questions but I wanted to make sure I didn't get hosed by the service department when I went in.
  • Transmission fluid change: I've read that this can be done closer to 100k, but can someone verify? I don't drive the car very hard, no towing at all, etc.
  • Coolant fluid change: I expect this to be changed sometime, but couldn't find the intervals
Thanks for your help.
Here is a link from the car care nut that discusses tranny and coolant fluid. He references Toyota cars but the same will apply to Lexus. Very informative and will answer your questions about changing these fluids.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcg0324:
jollick (07-17-22), maraynman (11-27-22)
Old 11-24-22 | 09:37 AM
rhpt
4th Gear

Question 60K Mile Maintenance

My vehicle is due for its 60K tune-up and the dealer is recommending a "Differential Fluid Exchange - Rear Axle" and a "Synthetic Transfer Case Fluid Exchange". Are these essential services or is the dealer trying to extract maximum value from me.
Old 11-24-22 | 09:48 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by rhpt
My vehicle is due for its 60K tune-up and the dealer is recommending a "Differential Fluid Exchange - Rear Axle" and a "Synthetic Transfer Case Fluid Exchange". Are these essential services or is the dealer trying to extract maximum value from me.
Not sure what a "tune-up" is anymore. I'd ignore the dealer and just request they do what's in your owners maintenance manual. Nothing more.
Old 11-24-22 | 11:47 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by rhpt
The fluids in the rear diff and transfer case are listed in the service manual at 30k. I did mine at 30k and they were super clean with very little metallic material on the magnets. If you are at all DIY then these are super easy and cost is like $30 for the fluids (find other threads for links to videos on how to).

So it is a legit service just a matter of what the cost for the job will be.
Old 11-25-22 | 04:30 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by notasubaru
Hi all,
Thanks for your help.
Coolant is changed at 100,000 miles and then every 50,000 miles.
Transmission fluid according to the company that manufactured your Lexus never ever has to be changed. On sixth Lexus and never changed the fluid and of course never had a problem. My local Lexus Service manager with 25 years LEXUS experience said the same thing. His words were " changing the fluid can cause more harm then good". This is a guy who wants my money. He toured the factory in Detroit where they are manufactured. At a Q&A session he asked the EXPERTS what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmissions failing. Their response was changing the fluid. Especially with the wrong fluid and wrong amount. I will listen to them rather than those on this forum saying it has to be replaced.
Old 11-25-22 | 06:07 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freds430
Transmission fluid according to the company that manufactured your Lexus never ever has to be changed. On sixth Lexus and never changed the fluid and of course never had a problem. My local Lexus Service manager with 25 years LEXUS experience said the same thing. His words were " changing the fluid can cause more harm then good". This is a guy who wants my money. He toured the factory in Detroit where they are manufactured. At a Q&A session he asked the EXPERTS what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmissions failing. Their response was changing the fluid. Especially with the wrong fluid and wrong amount. I will listen to them rather than those on this forum saying it has to be replaced.
I would agree that not changing transmission fluid is ok....most of the time. If you sell or return your lease with less than 100,000 it will never be a problem. You might even make it to 200 or 300 or 500 thousand miles with no problems. We always keep our vehicles long term.

Our 4Runner also had the same advice that it was "lifetime". My question is what is lifetime? I thought it strange that the Toyota dealer did not want to do the job at around 60k, or ever. Then the transmission failed at 210,000 miles and I found out that lifetime was 100,000 miles. I should have just told him that we towed and therefore please follow the official service manual. We now have a new 4Runner (@$50,000 vs $100 for transmission fluid service).

So I do transmission fluid (one drain and fill) @ 60,000 miles on our cars. The procedure is in the TIS (official Toyota/Lexus site) and is easy to follow. Toyota does do the job if you tow, so it is not as if they never do an ATF change. ATF is cheap and it take 1 hour of my time every few years. I also agree that changing the fluid can be a major problem if you do it incorrectly or use the wrong fluid....so don't do that.
My Acura got the same ATF service every 45000 miles or so and was at 305,000 miles when I sold it with a perfectly performing transmission.

So I am sure that some vehicles will never need an ATF change even with half a million miles. I just know that based upon our costly experience, ATF service is an easy way to not worry.
ravenuer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22 | 06:42 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Our 4Runner also had the same advice that it was "lifetime". My question is what is lifetime? I thought it strange that the Toyota dealer did not want to do the job at around 60k, or ever. ...
I did wonder about this "lifetime" stuff, upon discovering it after I bought my car. It kind of goes against your normal logic for such service items -- why in the world wouldn't dealers be eager to change ATF and coolant?

The answer appears to be twofold, and when understood correctly, to be 100% logical:

1. "Lifetime" ATF and coolant, in the normal, generic sense of the word, is a marvelous selling point. But Toyota doesn't mean lifetime in the normal sense. They mean "the lifetime of our responsibility under the warranty." See? Failure of the transmission or cooling system after the powertrain warranty expires is no financial skin off their nose, and is actually good for dealer service revenues.

2. The dealer is under contract with Lexus, and that contract surely prohibits them from contradicting official Lexus policies for maintenance. In this example, dealers selling ATF and coolant change service, in advance of the official recommendations, would undermine the above marvelous selling point -- to the detriment of corporate sales. So the dealers' hands are firmly and legally tied on the subject.

Find any competent auto mechanic who is not a Lexus or Toyota employee, for example the car care nut and ask them about "lifetime" ATF and coolant. Make sure they are not holding a cup of hot liquid when you ask ....

Last edited by dibl; 11-25-22 at 06:46 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (11-25-22), Dap04 (11-28-22), jcg0324 (11-25-22), Quantum501 (11-26-22), ravenuer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22 | 07:05 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by Freds430

I agree with that, as long as you don't tow.

Towing adds lots at additional heat and wear and tear that deteriorates the TA fluid.

BTW, which plant in Detroit produces transmission for any Toyota?
ravenuer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22 | 10:08 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
BTW, which plant in Detroit produces transmission for any Toyota?
This wikipedia article identifies the AWF8F35 as the current RX transmission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

This article, in the Aisin USA paragraph, appears to identify Seymour, Indiana as the North American manufacturing facility for Toyota transmissions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin
ravenuer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22 | 05:18 PM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Haha responding to earlier posts about me only spending $350 on my RX. Yes a total of $350 at the dealer……of course i spent money on oil, filters, brake pads etc that I DIY lol
Old 01-02-23 | 04:32 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Default High mileage and maintenance

I have one of the early built 2016 RX with almost 100K miles (bought it new). I have had my share of early built issues - air conditioner gargling, rocking driver seat, driver and passenger doors locks not working properly and most significant, oil seeping.
I expected more from a lexus but this was an early built of a new redesigned model and I think most of these issues were worked out in later years.
I'm now at 100K miles, and I'm sure there are people who have much more miles. What are some of the higher mileage maintenance work you have done? Changing spark plugs? shocks? I feel like my shocks will need to be looked at soon. Trans oil? - do you drain and fill and if so at how many miles?
Anything else besides the regular oil change maintenance?
Old 01-03-23 | 12:56 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

[QUOTE=rusn007;11421018
I'm now at 100K miles, and I'm sure there are people who have much more miles. What are some of the higher mileage maintenance work you have done? Changing spark plugs? shocks? I feel like my shocks will need to be looked at soon. Trans oil? - do you drain and fill and if so at how many miles?
Anything else besides the regular oil change maintenance?[/QUOTE]

If you scroll up to Post #76 in this thread, I have posted an Excel spreadsheet that I use for maintenance on my 2020. The service intervals are given in blue and are what is listed in the service manual for your vehicle.

I do my own work and vary from the Lexus recommended on a couple of items.

First I do oil and filter at about 5000 miles.
Transmission fluid is "lifetime" but many recommend one drain and fill at 60,000 mile intervals. I would never keep same fluid if I planned on keeping vehicle long term. I am coming up on 60k in the spring and will do then. So single drain and fill at 60k.
I did Transfer case and diff at 30k and were in great shape.
Plugs recommended at 60k, but would love to understand why other vehicles with same engine are listed as 120k.
I would only do shocks if there was a reason to. I have had many vehicles were I never did shocks/struts....most over 200,000 miles.

As I said, the spreadsheet in post 76 is for a 2020 AWD, but most if not all of the specs/intervals/parts will be similar or the same.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements