RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 01:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bud605
Brake system should be a closed system, i don't under stand how it would absorb moisture as long as the lines are never broken, and one doesnt add water into the fluid resevor... But thanks for the info.
Apparently ABS systems are very expensive to replace if you've had water contamination. Non-ABS is recommend to inspect and bleed (if needed every 48k miles). Hence think of this as preventative maintenance that can also save your life.

Oil can easily go past 10k miles, but it depends on your driving habits. Short, dusty trips will require oil changes more often. Since you're all freeway, you can probably go past 10k, but why risk it for something so cheap and easy to do yourself. I have a 2010 RX350 that just crossed 100k miles and I change every 10k only with Mobil 1 full synthetic. Still smooth as butter.

Also consider that you can get your service done at any Toyota. Less expensive and same mechanical systems.
Old 10-10-17, 10:41 AM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I chewed through a Honda CRV which had oil change every 10k. I now own an Acura, again, - oil change and tire replacement every 10k. But the Lexus has always puzzled me why it needs a service at 5K. My wife had a 2013 Rx 350 and she bought a 2017 350 Rx. But we will continue to do the recommended service. I have never had a problem rotating tires at 10k miles on any of my SUV's so far.
Old 10-11-17, 07:11 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Brake Master Cylinder reservoirs are not completely sealed, they vent to allow the fluid to adjust
to the brake pad wear. Thinner pads cause the brake pistons to extend further and more fluid
is behind them so the level drops. You should NOT "top off" the fluid, when the pads are replaced
the pistons will be pressed back into the calipers... Brake fluid does attract moisture and will work
its way down the brake lines. Before ABS systems the lines were quite large and did not typically
cause trouble. ABS systems have many smaller passages that can freeze/rust/bind up and the
old condition of moisture all the way down at the wheel reacting to the high heat created there.
While I fondly recall pressing and holding the brake pedal for my Dad to bleed the brakes on
various family cars there are now master cylinder pressurized fluid machines that do it better.
The following users liked this post:
mac12 (02-08-23)
Old 10-11-17, 10:46 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Surprised that any contemporary car would have brake fluid exposed to the air. I can recall working on my old 1969 Corvette dual master cylinder and noting the heavy accordion-rubber bellows inside the metal lid that kept outside air away from the reservoirs. I have seen many times where a repair shop will recommend services that are absolutely not needed. I guess they are under a lot of pressure to make easy money in a business where competition is fierce. Still, your Lexus service guide is your bible--do only what it recommends.

As for oil changes, your RX specifies synthetic 0W-20, which is a far cry from previous-generation motor oils. Once every 10K is frequent enough. Change more often if you wish, but the engine won't care.

Last edited by riredale; 10-11-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 11:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,812 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by riredale
Surprised that any contemporary car would have brake fluid exposed to the air. I can recall working on my old 1969 Corvette dual master cylinder and noting the heavy accordion-rubber bellows inside the metal lid that kept outside air away from the reservoirs. I have seen many times where a repair shop will recommend services that are absolutely not needed. I guess they are under a lot of pressure to make easy money in a business where competition is fierce. Still, your Lexus service guide is your bible--do only what it recommends.

As for oil changes, your RX specifies synthetic 0W-20, which is a far cry from previous-generation motor oils. Once every 10K is frequent enough. Change more often if you wish, but the engine won't care.
Good to know
Old 10-11-17, 02:31 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Good Info

Originally Posted by Freds430
This routine has got me through over one million care free miles with not one problem. Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor.

The transmission fluid does not need to be changed. Posters will tell you different. I listen to my local Lexus Service Manager who wants my $$$. He aid it never needs changing to the point that could cause more harm than good my changing.
This is some goof info. Obviously, a couple needs to be taken with caution just like the changing of brake fluid every 30K. Thanks.
Old 10-12-17, 10:19 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
I chewed through a Honda CRV which had oil change every 10k. I now own an Acura, again, - oil change and tire replacement every 10k. But the Lexus has always puzzled me why it needs a service at 5K. My wife had a 2013 Rx 350 and she bought a 2017 350 Rx. But we will continue to do the recommended service. I have never had a problem rotating tires at 10k miles on any of my SUV's so far.
I agree 100%. A visit to rotate tires and perform an inspection for $100+ is a bit crazy. I plan to rotate my tires on my own.

The Acura system is very economical; the maintenance minder system only asks for maintenance based on driving habits, mileage, and time.
Old 12-20-17, 03:00 PM
snohman82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's RX 350 got the service light reminder for the 15,000 miles/18 months service, along with the dealer reminder call. Essentially going to skip this literally the only thing this service does is rotate tires, and then visual inspections and replacement of car key battery. There is nothing in the service manual that recommends an oil change every 5,000 miles - its every 10,000 miles. Obviously if you believe you drive a significant amount in the city you can change more frequently, but it sounded like some people thought the recommended was every 5,000. These mid service recommendations (5,000, 15,000, 25,000 etc.) are more for piece of mind in case anything is amiss.

With that said, are most of you really rotating your tires every 5,000?
Old 12-20-17, 03:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by snohman82
My wife's RX 350 got the service light reminder for the 15,000 miles/18 months service, along with the dealer reminder call. Essentially going to skip this literally the only thing this service does is rotate tires, and then visual inspections and replacement of car key battery. There is nothing in the service manual that recommends an oil change every 5,000 miles - its every 10,000 miles. Obviously if you believe you drive a significant amount in the city you can change more frequently, but it sounded like some people thought the recommended was every 5,000. These mid service recommendations (5,000, 15,000, 25,000 etc.) are more for piece of mind in case anything is amiss.

With that said, are most of you really rotating your tires every 5,000?
I may go with oil change and tire rotation every 7500 after my 10k service. I'm still concerned 10k may push the oil filter too far.
Old 12-21-17, 01:54 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there's no reason to be concerned, and riredale hits it on the nail. Doing an oil change with synthetic oil at every 5k is a waste of money. I did oil changes every 8,500-10k on my Infiniti G35 and drove that car well beyond 200,000 miles.
Old 12-21-17, 05:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by minusplus
there's no reason to be concerned, and riredale hits it on the nail. Doing an oil change with synthetic oil at every 5k is a waste of money. I did oil changes every 8,500-10k on my Infiniti G35 and drove that car well beyond 200,000 miles.
Good to hear. I guess I'll get comfortable with the 10k intervals.
The following users liked this post:
jamesss711 (03-03-23)
Old 12-22-17, 03:30 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,126 Likes on 731 Posts

Why does the brake fluid need to be changed every 30K? That sounds like a service dept selling a snake oil to me, I have never heard of changing brake fluid in anything unless replacing a master cylinder, or corroded lines.. But thanks for the other info.
Our manual states every 30,000 miles the same manual that states lifetime transmission fluid unless towing.
Old 12-22-17, 03:32 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,126 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You may get a laugh out of this - just had my 30000kms service at Australia's only Lexus owned dealership (Sydney City Lexus) and the cabin air filter cost $174.00 for the part. It must be special.....
You have to keep us updated on how clean your cabin air is. Must smell like a lilac field for $174.
Old 12-22-17, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Why does the brake fluid need to be changed every 30K? That sounds like a service dept selling a snake oil to me, I have never heard of changing brake fluid in anything unless replacing a master cylinder, or corroded lines.. But thanks for the other info.
I think you will be unhappy to learn that all Toyota equivalents such as the Highlander, LC, or Avalon compared to their Lexus do not have this requirement so early. Neither do they have the key fob battery replacement.

With the advances in oils in the last 20 years Im not afraid of the 10K interval if that is what the manufacturer recommends.
Lexus uses fully synthetic oil compared to semi the past few years. Almost all Toyota's have moved to a 10K interval.
Old 12-22-17, 10:01 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you will be unhappy to learn that all Toyota equivalents such as the Highlander, LC, or Avalon compared to their Lexus do not have this requirement so early. Neither do they have the key fob battery replacement.

Lexus uses fully synthetic oil compared to semi the past few years. Almost all Toyota's have moved to a 10K interval.
30K brake fluid flush recommendation is pretty standard among most manufacturers. Not that I do it that often, but brake fluid does in fact absorb moisture at some point and it could eventually corrode the lines. Key fob battery? I suspect those are good for three years or so but they do have a shorter life than the old fobs that only used juice when you pressed them. My other car is going on four years old and I just replaced the batteries in both fobs and they were still working fine. Five minute job and tiny cost if you buy the batteries yourself.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements