RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 11:20 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Cheap and relatively easy.
Cheap -- for sure. Easy? Really? Have you reviewed the procedure?

Old 09-20-20, 12:21 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 469 Likes on 256 Posts

there are a couple of different methods. One is to do a cold drain and fill (same in and same out...the Scotty Kilmer method). The other is to do with fluid temp using OBDII data. You found the difficult videos....there are several others online that show that it is not very difficult to do. It is definitely a pita compared to a car with dipstick, but not a difficult job.

I have the TIS procedure.

I enjoy working on cars, and hate paying a dealership $120/hour for something that I can do for about 1/3 the cost. I have the money but prefer to spend elsewhere. In 30 years I probably saved enough to buy my Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (09-28-20)
Old 09-20-20, 12:34 PM
dibl
Instructor

I used to enjoy car and motorcycle maintenance a lot more than I do today -- gonna hit 70 here in a couple of months and the garage floor seems to have gotten a lot harder and colder.. LOL

I think the cold swap-out method would be simplest, but I wonder how much old fluid does not actually drain out of the gearbox and internals of the tranny when you do that. Whatever -- good luck with it.
Quantum501 (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 09:10 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I find it interesting that Lexus Canada doesn't have "brake service" (i.e., taking apart the brakes and cleaning/lubricating them) in their maintenance schedule. Isn't this generally recommended to be done on a regular basis to prevent brakes from seizing?
Old 09-20-20, 09:14 PM
Schweden
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I find it interesting that Lexus Canada doesn't have "brake service" (i.e., taking apart the brakes and cleaning/lubricating them) in their maintenance schedule. Isn't this generally recommended to be done on a regular basis to prevent brakes from seizing?
I think Lexus recommends you do a brake service every 2 years and this has been my experience with my dealer for my older ES.
Old 09-20-20, 09:49 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Schweden
I think Lexus recommends you do a brake service every 2 years and this has been my experience with my dealer for my older ES.
I've seen some dealers recommend this - but on the master maintenance schedule supplied by Lexus Canada, I didn't see it there (which I thought was a little surprising).
Old 09-21-20, 07:37 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
These are specifics of what Lexus Canada Service Center's do on those 3 Service Intervals (#1, #2, #3) ... not sure if cleaning/lubricating is something they do.

Service 1
- Check installation of driver's floor mat
- Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system
- Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation
- Inspect and adjust level of engine oil, brake fluid, engine/inverter coolant, power steering fluid and washer fluid
- Remove & inspect engine and cabin air filters
- Rotate tires or perform seasonal tire change-over.
- Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
- Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
- Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order

Service 2
- Check installation of driver's floor mat.
- Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.
- Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
- Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation (1)
- Visually inspect drive belts.
- Replace engine oil & filter (synthetic).
- Lubricate locks, latches and hinges.
- Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and washer fluid.
- Remove & inspect engine air filter (2)
- Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
- Check and record tire tread depth.
- Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
- Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over (4)
- Inspect differential and transfer case vents for obstruction.
- Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.
- Remove & inspect cabin air filter (3)

Service 3
- Visually inspect drive belts adjust tension if required.
- Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and washer fluid.
- Remove brake calipers and/or brake drums. Inspect and measure brake rotors, drums, pads and shoes.

- Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over (3)
- Perform 12 Volt battery service and comprehensive electrical charging system evaluation.
- Inspect valve clearance (audibly).
- Check steering gear, linkage and shock absorbers for looseness, damage or leakage.
- Inspect ball joints and dust covers, driveshafts, chassis nuts & bolts for looseness or damage.
- Inspect fuel system for leaks or damage, inspect condition of fuel tank band, fuel tank cap gasket, fuel tank vapour vent system hoses, fuel lines and connections.
- Inspect engine oil cooler lines and automatic transmission cooler lines if equipped for leakage, looseness or damage.
- Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage or broken hangers.
- Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.
- Remove & inspect cabin air filter (4)
Old 09-21-20, 07:56 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by exonw
These are specifics of what Lexus Canada Service Center's do on those 3 Service Intervals (#1, #2, #3) ... not sure if cleaning/lubricating is something they do.

Service 1
- Check installation of driver's floor mat
- Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system
- Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation
- Inspect and adjust level of engine oil, brake fluid, engine/inverter coolant, power steering fluid and washer fluid
- Remove & inspect engine and cabin air filters
- Rotate tires or perform seasonal tire change-over.
- Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order

Service 2
- Visually inspect drive belts.
- Check and record tire tread depth.
- Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
- Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over (4)
- Inspect differential and transfer case vents for obstruction.
- Remove & inspect cabin air filter (3)

Service 3
- Visually inspect drive belts adjust tension if required.
- Remove brake calipers and/or brake drums. Inspect and measure brake rotors, drums, pads and shoes.

- Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over (3)
- Perform 12 Volt battery service and comprehensive electrical charging system evaluation.
- Inspect valve clearance (audibly).
- Check steering gear, linkage and shock absorbers for looseness, damage or leakage.
- Inspect ball joints and dust covers, driveshafts, chassis nuts & bolts for looseness or damage.
- Inspect fuel system for leaks or damage, inspect condition of fuel tank band, fuel tank cap gasket, fuel tank vapour vent system hoses, fuel lines and connections.
- Inspect engine oil cooler lines and automatic transmission cooler lines if equipped for leakage, looseness or damage.
- Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage or broken hangers.
- Remove & inspect cabin air filter (4)
The only thing included is a visual inspection. Taking the brakes apart and cleaning/lubricating them is not part of this line item in the Service package.

Dealers, on the other hand, tend to typically “recommend” this as a routine item every 1-3 years (regardless of specific condition of the brakes)... but it’s not specifically embedded into the master Lexus maintenance schedule as a routine item at a specific interval.
exonw (09-21-20)
Old 11-04-20, 02:00 PM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you do your own Service #1s?

Hi guys,

Yet another service question.
So I got the Service #2 done in late April as I figured, may as well - didn't have the equipment to do the oil change myself.
Plus they managed to find something that was warranty covered (oil leak) and fixed that as well.

Now it's November, and Lexus is calling me again to go back in for a Service #1. (barely been 6 months..)

Here's what's outlined on a Service 1 (I'm in BC, Canada)
  • Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.
  • Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation. 1
  • Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine/inverter coolant, power steering fluid and washer fluid.
  • Remove & inspect engine air filter. 2
  • Remove & inspect cabin air filter. 3
  • Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
  • Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
  • Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over. 4
  • Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.
Is it just me or does a lot of this look like I can just do it myself. I've already checked my fluid levels and filters - both fine. And I'm planning on swapping out for winter tires anyways, so tire rotation is out of the question.
I know that in the manual I am supposed to have my service performed by a "Licensed Lexus Service Member", but can't I just do it myself and be done with it. My local Lexus is asking $125 just to bring it in for a Service #1. Seems like a total rip.

I just want to know what to do to not void the warranty. I opted for an Extended Warranty when I purchased the vehicle (bought it used), and it's pretty clear on saying that I need to keep up with my regular service.

Just wondering what you folks think. I've already read some other posts and it seems most people agree that Service #1 is a joke.
Old 11-04-20, 02:27 PM
dibl
Instructor

"Inspections" can indeed be done by an owner with a modicum of mechanical skill. It's what you do if you discover a problem that makes you think again about taking charge of maintenance at this point in the life of the vehicle. Also, doing inspections yourself does not put the service on the official record of service for your VIN. This could become significant, in a bad way, if a later problem appears that the dealer can allege would have been discovered had they performed the inspection in their shop. Personally I stick with dealer service until the 40K mark, and providing oil for an oil change at 15K, 25K and 35K. This builds the record of service for the car for the future second owner, and (hopefully) supports the market value of the vehicle.

Last edited by dibl; 11-04-20 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Cocal (11-04-20), coolbrazz (11-05-20)
Old 11-04-20, 05:05 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it out of warranty? If not and something should break that would have been inspected, have fun!
Old 11-04-20, 07:42 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Service #1 is basically a glorified oil change.

ECP won't care whether you take it to a Lexus dealer for service or somewhere else.
Old 11-05-20, 04:35 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 469 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Service #1 is basically a glorified oil change.

ECP won't care whether you take it to a Lexus dealer for service or somewhere else.
Not even that...glorified tire rotation.
Old 11-05-20, 08:45 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't take my Lexus in for anything till I need the brake work and coolant flushes. I change my own oil, air and cabin filters (all in about 30 minutes max). It takes me a few seconds to check the fluid levels. Occasionally I will do a tire rotation which will allow a little more even tire wear which maybe would allow me to get a few extra miles on the tires (and save me a few dollars). When I do take it in I usually go to the Toyota dealer because they are cheaper.

I then document everything that I do. I recently traded in my last Rx400h at the Lexus dealer. I showed them my very detailed service records including all my own oil changes. The Lexus staff were extremely impressed with my detailed records and the fact that I did my oil changes a little more than were recommended. They took my car out for a test ride for 5 minutes and immediately gave me a better price than I had planned to sell it myself. They not only didn't care that I did my own maintenance, they paid me extra money on trade in for being so compulsive.
Old 11-06-20, 04:33 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

The Toyota dealer is 10 minutes away and the Lexus dealer is 30 minutes. I go to both equally. The Toyota dealer is less expensive. My method is I never go in an ask for a 15,000 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. I would be paying big bucks for a lot of inspections of things I do not need inspected. Every 10,000 miles I get an oil change and tire rotation. I bring my own oil and filter. Filter is bought on line for $5 and the Mobil 1 is bought at Walmart for $23 for a five quart jug. They charge $30 labor for the oil change and $ 30 for the tire rotation. Every 20,000 miles, I replace the air and cabin air filters which take less then 5 minutes and cost $40. At 30,000 mile intervals. I have the brake fluid replaced which is $120. I usually sell my cars with about 100,000 miles and usually buy two year old CPO which gives me my first four services free. These all added up cost me less then $1,000 every 100,000 miles for both our RX and ES.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
bamalam (11-06-20), coolbrazz (11-06-20), ravenuer (11-06-20)

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements