RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Intervals/Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 04:01 PM
terrasini7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my 20,000 mile service done. Skipped the 15,000 mile service. 20,000 miles = rotate tires, oil and filter change, top off fluids, and inspect various parts of the car, like brakes and such. My Lexus dealership asked for $370. That was kind of shocking since the bulk of the work was to change the oil. So I called Toyota. Same service = $100. No brainer.
Old 11-09-20, 10:45 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bud605
Brake system should be a closed system, i don't under stand how it would absorb moisture as long as the lines are never broken, and one doesnt add water into the fluid resevor... But thanks for the info.
I believe it has to do with caliper heat and fluid breakdown as a result.
Old 11-09-20, 10:53 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You may get a laugh out of this - just had my 30000kms service at Australia's only Lexus owned dealership (Sydney City Lexus) and the cabin air filter cost $174.00 for the part. It must be special.....
I laugh every time a service rep comes up to me with my dirty cabin filter. They show it to me and say it costs $85.00 to replace. So I reply that I can get the same filter anywhere for less than $20.00 and change it in under 5 minutes. But since you already have half of the job completed and you'll have to put my dirty filter back in the vehicle if I decline, so if you'll agree, I'll buy the filter from you and you give me free labor. They always agree. I may pay a buck or 2 more for the filter but I saved time and gas.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-09-20)
Old 11-09-20, 12:03 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasini7
I just had my 20,000 mile service done. Skipped the 15,000 mile service. 20,000 miles = rotate tires, oil and filter change, top off fluids, and inspect various parts of the car, like brakes and such. My Lexus dealership asked for $370. That was kind of shocking since the bulk of the work was to change the oil. So I called Toyota. Same service = $100. No brainer.
NEVER EVER request the XXXX mile service. It's revenue generation for the dealer and nothing more.
Old 11-09-20, 04:48 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
NEVER EVER request the XXXX mile service. It's revenue generation for the dealer and nothing more.
A specific mile service is requested as different items are serviced at different mileages. Brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid get replaced only at specific services not every service. If you just get the oil, oil filter done the long term maintenance suffers and you may see performance reduction or failure down the road. Of course if you don't expect to keep the car long it doesn't matter as much.
Old 11-09-20, 05:05 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

A specific mile service is requested as different items are serviced at different mileages. Brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid get replaced only at specific services not every service. If you just get the oil, oil filter done the long term maintenance suffers and you may see performance reduction or failure down the road. Of course if you don't expect to keep the car long it doesn't matter as much.
You're missing the point. I get what you're saying. I merely request services when they need to be done, not when they need to check this and examine that just to charge you hundreds of dollars. The XXXXX mile services are all a money grab for the dealers. End of story.

Last edited by mikemu30; 11-09-20 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

You're missing the point. I get what you're saying. I merely request services when they need to be done, not when they need to check this and examine that just to charge you hundreds of dollars. The XXXXX mile services are all a money grab for the dealers. End of story.
"I merely request services when they need to be done" How do you know when they NEED to be done? Preventative service is just that, to prevent other issues occurring. Do you know when the brake fluid has too much moisture? Do you know when the transmission fluid has broken down to a point where it's not working as required?

I'm very well aware that dealer servicing is expensive and often some things are over the top price wise. No one said you have to use a dealer, plenty of other places to go. My car is only 4 years old, $105,000 dollars here in Australia, by far the most expensive car I've owned and I'm inclined to get it serviced at the dealer where I know things DO get done. Maybe in years to come I'll go elsewhere due to cost.
Old 11-09-20, 06:14 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve never ever gotten the recommended services at the dealer. I’ve even had a service advisor at Toyota I got friendly with a while ago tell me you don’t need that.

As long as you change your oil and pay attention to the real stuff that you need you’ll be fine. I change my oil with full synthetic and get a tire rotation every 6 months or 10,000 miles. I’ll do all the other fluid flushes as needed as a add on service, or myself if I can. The dealer will package a ton of inspections which they might or might not do and other fluff stuff and charge me and extra $2-500 if I let them. Honestly read what the services are stuff like tighten bolts, lube hinges, change wiper inserts, change cabin filter, change air filter.

Allot of Lexus owners seem to believe that if they don’t do every service by the book at the dealer there warranty will be voided and that’s very far from the truth. The only thing that is helped by always having your car serviced at the dealer for every little thing is that if you ever have a claim that is denied by Lexus the dealer will be more likely to fight for you if you’ve been a loyal customer.

I always use the dealer as long as I’m under warranty for oil changes / rotations to avoid headaches. The minute that warranty is up I buy Amsoil and do the work myself or take it to my local mechanic.
Old 11-09-20, 06:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

"I merely request services when they need to be done" How do you know when they NEED to be done? Preventative service is just that, to prevent other issues occurring. Do you know when the brake fluid has too much moisture? Do you know when the transmission fluid has broken down to a point where it's not working as required?

I'm very well aware that dealer servicing is expensive and often some things are over the top price wise. No one said you have to use a dealer, plenty of other places to go. My car is only 4 years old, $105,000 dollars here in Australia, by far the most expensive car I've owned and I'm inclined to get it serviced at the dealer where I know things DO get done. Maybe in years to come I'll go elsewhere due to cost.
Read the mfr service schedule and you'll see when each service is required BY THE MFR and not the money grab recomendations of THE DEALER. I service both of our Lexuses at the dealer as well but according to the MFR schedule. Good luck.
Old 11-09-20, 07:10 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Read the mfr service schedule and you'll see when each service is required BY THE MFR and not the money grab recomendations of THE DEALER. I service both of our Lexuses at the dealer as well but according to the MFR schedule. Good luck.
Maybe it's different in the US, here the services by dealers ARE what's in the book, they never do extras or request to do extras.

I've taken cars for servicing at dealers around 270 times now, right around this country, Mazda, Honda, GM, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Lexus and it's always the manufacturers schedule.
Old 11-10-20, 05:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's different in the US, here the services by dealers ARE what's in the book, they never do extras or request to do extras.

I've taken cars for servicing at dealers around 270 times now, right around this country, Mazda, Honda, GM, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Lexus and it's always the manufacturers schedule.
Here in the US, we have STEALERS not DEALERS
Old 11-12-20, 04:36 AM
Larry10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complimentary Servicing Missed

I bought RX350 in Sep2019. I have less that 4000 miles on this vehicle as I am hardly stepping out due to Covid-19. I missed the two free servicing's. My questions --

1. Do you all think that the dealer can extend the date?
2. Should I go ahead and do the 10K / 12 months servicing for almost $400.00 ( do I really have to do this ?)
3. Is it OK do just get an oil change done at a Toyota dealer for < $100.00
4.Just as an FYI, I am pretty sure that I am not going to drive this vehicle for more than 1000 miles in 2021 also.

I really appreciate some guidance here as I was not planning to spend $400 now.

Thanks,

Lr
Old 11-12-20, 05:01 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Per the Lexus maintenance schedule, your car doesn't need anything done until 5K miles, regardless of the passage of time. They don't even call for an oil change until 10K miles (I change mine every 5K -- I'm old school).

I would call your nearest dealer when you hit 4,900 miles, and ask them if they'll honor the complimentary service even though the year is up. No harm in asking -- they might say "YES" just to get you into their dealership. Then you can provide 6 qt. of the 0W-20 synthetic oil of your choice, or ask them to go ahead and change the oil and filter with their oil. They'll charge you a bit for that but not a lot more than your local quickie-lube.

From my "lessons learned", I would also ask them to check the wheel alignment, and adjust it if it is out of spec. In my experience, the dealer's price for that is within $5 of what the local chain tire shop will charge for the same service.

They'll inspect all your fluids, brakes, tires, fuel system, etc. and not charge extra for that. If it is an AWD, they'l rotate the wheels.

Last edited by dibl; 11-12-20 at 06:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry10 (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 05:07 AM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue. My 450 RxH is now 8 months old and has just 2000 miles on the odometer. I work from home, so I just start my car once a week for short spin. I have no plans to take my car in for a service until I have had a Covid-19 vaccine. The ICU's are close to full in my state. With the raging pandemic, and higher risk for my 60+ age group, a service, complementary or not is just not worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by upnorth85:
jollick (11-12-20), Kansas (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 07:12 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Larry10
I bought RX350 in Sep2019. I have less that 4000 miles on this vehicle as I am hardly stepping out due to Covid-19. I missed the two free servicing's. My questions --

1. Do you all think that the dealer can extend the date?
2. Should I go ahead and do the 10K / 12 months servicing for almost $400.00 ( do I really have to do this ?)
3. Is it OK do just get an oil change done at a Toyota dealer for < $100.00
4.Just as an FYI, I am pretty sure that I am not going to drive this vehicle for more than 1000 miles in 2021 also.

I really appreciate some guidance here as I was not planning to spend $400 now.

Thanks,

Lr
$400???? Aren't the 5K and 10K services the complimentary ones?

Quick Reply: Service Intervals/Requirements