RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Changing # of Blinks for Lane Change Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 06:55 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Changing # of Blinks for Lane Change Turn Signal

Just in case some of you want to change the number of blinks when you tap the turn signal stalk for lane changing, here is a step-by-step posted on the 4GS forum (by: FishBike). You can have the dealer change it, or use an app too.

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
The following users liked this post:
Pug20G (02-05-22)
Old 12-06-15, 08:40 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks! Great info! (and in Japan, we don't have the app to change these settings, so it's extra useful)

But my god… Makes you wonder what's behind the decision not to just have the settings in some misc/advanced options part of car's navigation.
Somebody had to program this contraption nonsense as well.
Old 12-06-15, 10:49 PM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

What app is it. And where do you get it.
Old 12-06-15, 11:55 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bdspilot
What app is it. And where do you get it.
Supposedly the Carista App has this capability, but you have to also buy a Bluetooth OBD dongle too.
Old 12-07-15, 12:59 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys!
Yes, our app has the ability to change the number of lane-change turn signal blinks, but we have not yet tested that with a 4RX. If any of you already have an OBD adapter, would you mind sending us debug data from your RX, so we can confirm that that feature is supported and potentially add additional features? Thanks very much!

Once you have the adapter and the app, here's how to send debug data: http://www.caristaapp.com/help/faq/#debug_data

P.S. Carista is available in Japan, too!
Old 12-07-15, 02:20 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
P.S. Carista is available in Japan, too!
Oh that's nice!

Does Carista OBD adapter work fine with Lexus G-Security in Japan?
All adapters I saw on sale here (basically, just a couple of local brands), were marked to disable G-Security system on Lexuses… Asking dealer, was told that G-Security disables itself if anything is present in OBD port (since the car considers itself being in maintenance mode…)

Not a car person, so I'm not quite sure what I'm talking about, but OBD adapters disabling at least some of security features on Lexuses in Japan is the fact…
Old 12-07-15, 03:12 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Just in case some of you want to change the number of blinks when you tap the turn signal stalk for lane changing, here is a step-by-step posted on the 4GS forum (by: FishBike). You can have the dealer change it, or use an app too.

1. Start with the car completely off
2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:
- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks
- 2nd position = 5 blinks
- 3rd position = 7 blinks
- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks
3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there
4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)
5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)
6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)
7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds
8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds
9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.
10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again.

The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect. It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks
- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks
- 3 flashes = set for 7 blinks
- 4 flashes = no auto blinks
THANKS for this. Like 5 blinks instead of 3 so I will be following these instructions later today.
Old 12-07-15, 03:17 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
Oh that's nice!

Does Carista OBD adapter work fine with Lexus G-Security in Japan?
All adapters I saw on sale here (basically, just a couple of local brands), were marked to disable G-Security system on Lexuses… Asking dealer, was told that G-Security disables itself if anything is present in OBD port (since the car considers itself being in maintenance mode…)

Not a car person, so I'm not quite sure what I'm talking about, but OBD adapters disabling at least some of security features on Lexuses in Japan is the fact…
We're not familiar with "G-Security", but the way I understand it, it doesn't really have much to do with the diagnostics or setting changes that Carista does. As long as you do NOT leave the OBD device plugged in when you're not using it, you should be fine. Even if the car indeed disables the security system when it detects that something is plugged into the OBD port, it should be fine to operate with Carista when you're in the car and the ignition is on. Just unplug the OBD adapter when you're done using the app.
Old 12-07-15, 06:05 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like there might be another way to change it. #19 on the Personalized Settings sheet says you can change it in the navigation system. I don't have an RX to try it out on (it's supposed to be in this Friday!) so this is all I have to go on.

<a href="http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf">www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf</a>
Old 12-07-15, 12:19 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfc350
It looks like there might be another way to change it. #19 on the Personalized Settings sheet says you can change it in the navigation system. I don't have an RX to try it out on (it's supposed to be in this Friday!) so this is all I have to go on.

<a href="http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf">www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf</a>
I could not get the instructions from dchar to work after trying them many times. I know I could change the number of blinks on my LX via the NAV screen in setting.. I will try your method.
Old 12-07-15, 12:22 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

My car is going into service today for a problem. I'll ask them to change mine to 5 blinks . Hopefully they know how since its such a new car
Old 12-07-15, 12:52 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skiracer
My car is going into service today for a problem. I'll ask them to change mine to 5 blinks . Hopefully they know how since its such a new car
What kind of problem are you having. Mine has run great. Only complaint I have is in a mild acceleration from a stop the vehicle has so many gears that it feels like it is not sure which gear it should use sometimes.
Old 12-07-15, 12:56 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
What kind of problem are you having. Mine has run great. Only complaint I have is in a mild acceleration from a stop the vehicle has so many gears that it feels like it is not sure which gear it should use sometimes.
Having this problem https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-chirping.html
Old 12-07-15, 12:59 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skiracer
Hope you get it sorted out. I have owned LExus for the last 20 years and they have been great when it comes to stuff like this. I have been lucky!
Old 12-07-15, 09:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Oops. This doesn't work. I thought the turn signal and the wiper stalks on the RX and GS were the same. Sorry.

MODERATOR. Close thread due to inaccuracy.

Quick Reply: Changing # of Blinks for Lane Change Turn Signal