RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Premium 12 speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 07:20 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the Levinson in both my LS 460 L and the new-to-my-wife RX 350 which I drove home last night, from Denver to Fort Worth.

It was a long day. 1,700 miles, only half of those by air.

Anyway, I brought my MP3 player because I knew I wanted to audition the system, I'd have plenty of time to kill, and it'd keep me lively during the truly monotonous parts (US-87 between Raton and TX border)

In other threads I've seen people argue the Levinson in this gen RX isn't all that great, or that it lacks low frequency response.

After a couple of hours, I had to agree...though I wish I'd have been able to figure out where the tone controls/equalizer was sooner! Max treble, up the midrange by a couple of marks, max bass minus one or two marks. This helps immensely. I know, I know, it's a good system only if it sounds perfect when adjusted to be 'flat'. No, everyone hears differently, and likes different aspects of music. Personally, I dig on electric bass, horns, strings, and great drums. I expect a much different sound than someone who listens to opera, jazz, or classical. Furthermore, in the LS, I make changes depending on the genre/era/artist/track in many cases.

When I adjusted the frequency sliders to where I thought my ears would like it best, I jumped to Jamiroquai's Love Blind. That is the sound I expected from a Mark Levinson system!

Now, I'll grant you, it is likely only about 85% as 'good' as the one in my 10 year old LS, however, I think the LS has significant advantages over the RX when it comes to being a good sound environment to begin with. The RX is quiet, very quiet when compared to a first gen, but my LS is a freakin' tomb. The RX is going to have more wind noise than my Celsior, too. Plus, the RX has more 'hard' surface area (glass), more volume, yet smaller resonant spaces. The LS has a 10" sub in the rear deck.

However, both have large woofers in the doors with the doors on the RX being larger, which is usually good for having additional 'woof'. The RX's amp makes a claim of about double the total system wattage of my LS's, 835, or close to that, which is 70 amps. There's just no way, folks. Maybe in theory, but in reality you can't either hear or find useful this magical power number. At max draw, 22 hz bass notes would cause lights to dim, like the late-1980s. We don't want to revisit that era.

I'm not bashing on those who either want to or have already added additional subwoofers to the system, but honestly, unless it's a track which requires nothing over 500 hz, there isn't much need for it. The imaging and clarity make it nice and even.

Before you think I don't appreciate loud, bass-heavy music, I'm known for my love of 1970s and 80s funk/R&B/disco.
Old 11-18-18, 07:29 PM
DCcinqo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floridaman
I have the 2017 Lexus RX 350 with the 12.3 navigation package and it is supposed to include a 12 speaker premium stereo system. For the life of me I can't find 2 of the speakers. There are 3 in the dash, 2 in the front doors, 4 in rear doors and a subwoofer in left wall of cargo area. Where are the other 2 speakers. Even the dealer couldn't figure it out. According to the diagram the additional 2 speakers should be somewhere in the cargo area but I can't find them.
stumbled upon this thread looking for the answer the the exact question you asked. I like the sound but discovered I have a 9 speaker system so I am assuming I don't have the 835 watt amp. Anyway- I found the part diagram and thought I would post it.