RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 Lexus RX350 always displays 5° more than the actual temp is outside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 04:54 PM
Plumbob17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Lexus RX350 always displays 5° more than the actual temp is outside.

My 2017 Lexus RX 350 always displays 5° more than the actual temp is outside. Can this be adjusted or is it just a bad sensor that can be replaced?
Old 10-23-17, 05:08 PM
lilboi
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can adjust the temperature sensors using Carista. I've seen it for the interior and ambient (which I'm guessing is the exterior).
Old 10-23-17, 06:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,809 Posts

I find this is be the case in most cars. Probably the location of the sensor.
Old 10-23-17, 06:25 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I've noticed this as well, sometimes even more than 5 degrees. Gotta take a look at the service manual to see where the sensor is located and noticed that it takes about 5 to 10 minutes of constant driving to get a more accurate reflection of the outside temp.
Old 10-23-17, 07:50 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

5° more compared to what other gauge of temperature, an actual thermometer that has been outside for a bit?
Old 10-24-17, 05:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
5° more compared to what other gauge of temperature, an actual thermometer that has been outside for a bit?
Weather Apps
Old 10-24-17, 10:53 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Weather a aps in my area are pretty useless for temperature. In my little town of 7200 people there are no local temperature reporters or sensors. Actually I live 4 miles outside of town and it's usually 3 degrees cooler at my house than in town. The Weather Channel app is often off by up to 12 degrees F on the local temperature. Accuweather is a lot more accurate and usually within 5 degrees F. As long as I drive for about 4 miles or maybe 8 minutes on my way home the RX temperature reading settles into a reading within a degree of both of my home digital sensors. I can type in name of many nearby communities for AccuWeather and get the same exact "local" temp reading. This tells me they really don't have a clue what the local temp is and are just extrapolating between geographical readings from sensor locations that they do have precise readings for. It's possible your RX is quite accurate and it's possible that it's way off. You can't tell via weather apps. On my motorcycle I can feel the cool air pocket down in a road dip and then feel it rise at the top of the hill. No way any sort of weather app is going to have all those readings even though the local temp variations are real. You really need to calibrate to a known good source at the same exact location of your car.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 11:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
Weather a aps in my area are pretty useless for temperature. In my little town of 7200 people there are no local temperature reporters or sensors. Actually I live 4 miles outside of town and it's usually 3 degrees cooler at my house than in town. The Weather Channel app is often off by up to 12 degrees F on the local temperature. Accuweather is a lot more accurate and usually within 5 degrees F. As long as I drive for about 4 miles or maybe 8 minutes on my way home the RX temperature reading settles into a reading within a degree of both of my home digital sensors. I can type in name of many nearby communities for AccuWeather and get the same exact "local" temp reading. This tells me they really don't have a clue what the local temp is and are just extrapolating between geographical readings from sensor locations that they do have precise readings for. It's possible your RX is quite accurate and it's possible that it's way off. You can't tell via weather apps. On my motorcycle I can feel the cool air pocket down in a road dip and then feel it rise at the top of the hill. No way any sort of weather app is going to have all those readings even though the local temp variations are real. You really need to calibrate to a known good source at the same exact location of your car.
I honestly couldn't care less but I know that every car I've ever owned will read a temp that is generally several degrees higher (at least initially) than the outside temp is per the two sensors I have on my property. Of course there's fluctuation of some degrees depending on location and that's not only in a small town. Point is, the car sensors typically pick up engine heat skewing the reading.
Old 10-24-17, 12:45 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Not only will the car's temp sensor pick up heat from the car but also any nearby road surfaces. Generally this effect is negated after driving a few miles to let the ambient air blowing past the car temp sensor heat or cool the sensor to get an accurate reading. The thermal mass of the temp sensor is not going to allow for instantaneous changes in ambient air temps.
Old 10-24-17, 12:52 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 567 Likes on 403 Posts

Yes, it can be adjusted by the dealer. I asked my dealer to adjust during my first visit. I compared the readings to 2 different temp sensors around car after driving the car for few minutes. Keep in mind that the sensor will pickup road and engine heat if you sit idle.
Old 10-26-17, 04:39 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
Try Weather Underground www.wunderground.com It is a network of weather stations at homes, businesses, schools, etc. from the University of Michigan (I think). You can select any station that you want. I found several within a mile of my house.