RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

1 year birthday gift from my car...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 09:45 AM
fcankiri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year birthday gift from my car...

I have 2017 RX 350, a lease, which has 11K miles on. While I was driving yesterday all of a sudden the check engine light flashed on, the power was severely reduced couldn't go pass 20mph, ICS Malfunction flashed on, traction was turning itself off, pretty much all the warning lights were flashing. I took it to the dealer and they asked $518 to run diagnoses, which I raised holly hell since it's in factory warranty they should be doing that for free regardless I get it fixed there or not, but that's besides the point.

The service advisor said it could be 2 things, either bad gas or rodent problem. They popped up the hood looked at the engine and no cable was eaten so no rodent problem. I've been getting gas from the same station for quite some time and never had a problem but out of nowhere it could be gas... They plugged in the computer and it showed cylinders misfiring, but they said they were 75% sure that it was bad gas.

Do you have any comments? has anybody here had a similar problem? Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-08-17, 10:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,797 Posts

They love to blame anything other than what might be covered under warranty. Every dealer is the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
fcankiri (11-08-17), JT4 (11-14-17)
Old 11-08-17, 10:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

It could be bad gas. I went to the same station for years buying gas and one day did not make it a block and my LX470 sputtered all the way back to the office.

It was expensive to fix as the tank was full and had to be removed. The good thing was I called Amoco and they paid for all the repairs in full. Couple of months later all the tanks were being dug up and replaced with plastic ones at my station.

Do not know for sure it was bad gas but it could be and that would not be the fault of Lexus.
Old 11-08-17, 12:07 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

What were the codes they pulled? If they didn't do anything and wanted 500 I would hit the roof for sure!!
way early for something under warranty to say it's denied.
at least they didn't blame spiders, yet.
(25 year ase certificate master mechanic here)

Last edited by JSracer; 11-08-17 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 12:35 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It could be bad gas. I went to the same station for years buying gas and one day did not make it a block and my LX470 sputtered all the way back to the office.

It was expensive to fix as the tank was full and had to be removed. The good thing was I called Amoco and they paid for all the repairs in full. Couple of months later all the tanks were being dug up and replaced with plastic ones at my station.

Do not know for sure it was bad gas but it could be and that would not be the fault of Lexus.
How were you able to prove them it was bad gas?
Old 11-09-17, 02:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hubs
How were you able to prove them it was bad gas?
I might have been lucky and Amoco might have already had others who reported the same. Here in FL we are having to dig up all the old metal tanks and replace with plastic ones. The old tanks are not only leaking gas but letting water in at the same time. Only go to stations I know are newer or already converted.

Even after they serviced my LX470, it would still do an occasion sputter for months.
Old 11-09-17, 02:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fcankiri
I have 2017 RX 350, a lease, which has 11K miles on. While I was driving yesterday all of a sudden the check engine light flashed on, the power was severely reduced couldn't go pass 20mph, ICS Malfunction flashed on, traction was turning itself off, pretty much all the warning lights were flashing. I took it to the dealer and they asked $518 to run diagnoses, which I raised holly hell since it's in factory warranty they should be doing that for free regardless I get it fixed there or not, but that's besides the point.

The service advisor said it could be 2 things, either bad gas or rodent problem. They popped up the hood looked at the engine and no cable was eaten so no rodent problem. I've been getting gas from the same station for quite some time and never had a problem but out of nowhere it could be gas... They plugged in the computer and it showed cylinders misfiring, but they said they were 75% sure that it was bad gas.

Do you have any comments? has anybody here had a similar problem? Thanks a bunch!
Had you just filled your gas tank? If water in the fuel it shows up pretty quick, in minutes or less. If you did not very recently fill up then I am betting on something else being wrong.
Old 11-09-17, 05:59 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem with my previous 2012 RX350 during the first year. I think I could still go more than 20 MPH but every error code seemed to flash. I was close to home and got it back safely. I called the dealer the next morning and had it towed in since I was afraid to drive it as one of the error messages was about the ABS system not working. The problem was not bad gas. Each spark plug has its own coil and one of the coils had failed. It was replaced under warranty. Never understood why the problem triggered multiple unrelated error messages.
No more problems until I replaced it with a 2016 RX350.
My wife and I both have 2016 RX350s. So far no problems.
Dealers lie, even Lexus dealers. Call Lexus customer service and ask for their help. They are great.
Old 11-09-17, 07:05 AM
jvinhj240
Rookie

so if we on the Lease, we responsible for vehicle break down within 3 years Lease? I thought that they will take care everything mechanical . NO?
Old 11-09-17, 07:59 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Contact the station where you bought the gas and tell them that the Lexus dealer said they sold you bad gas.

This may be the 50th complaint this week and they are aware of the problem. It happened to me once and the station apologized profusely and they paid for all repair costs then followed up with another appology. On the other hand, if they don’t have bad gas, They might raise hell with that dealer and help you sort it out. They can call the stealership and tell them they haven't had any other complaints.
Old 11-09-17, 08:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jvinhj240
so if we on the Lease, we responsible for vehicle break down within 3 years Lease? I thought that they will take care everything mechanical . NO?
They would take care of any warranty items.

If you got gas with water in it, YOU would be responsible.

Why would you think Lexus would?
Old 11-09-17, 09:06 AM
jvinhj240
Rookie

the ops say they think its bad gas, they want $500 for diagnosis even those they have not investigate the problem and charge LEASE customer thinking he has bad gas in his car. WHY? if they find its customer fault then ok he will pay for it but dealer have not 100% sure and want $500 right off . This is the part I dont' get.
Misfire could be just a gas cap did not closed properly etc...
Old 11-09-17, 09:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Whether you lease or purchase, Lexus doesn't own the vehicle and same warranty coverage applies.
Old 11-09-17, 10:23 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

the ops say they think its bad gas, they want $500 for diagnosis even those they have not investigate the problem and charge LEASE customer thinking he has bad gas in his car. WHY? if they find its customer fault then ok he will pay for it but dealer have not 100% sure and want $500 right off . This is the part I dont' get.
I agree, diagnose then deny based on finding
I can guarantee you a gas cap will not cause a misfire.

original poster has not shared any more information so we are all guessing here.
Old 11-09-17, 12:53 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by fcankiri

This is HARD to believe. $518 before they even know what the ****** is wrong with the NEW car, under warranty?

somehow somewhat the troll smell is detected.

1st post and trash it already. Give us more info. I will NOT hesitate to trash the dealer AND Lexus if they do not accept responsibility

Quick Reply: 1 year birthday gift from my car...