RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone heard of this? (oil weight recommendation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 10:45 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone heard of this? (oil weight recommendation)

So I had my LS in the shop and I got to drive a 2016 RX for two weeks while my LS was being serviced. (Long Story)...

But anyways, some things worked out the way they did and I got to chat with the service tech that spent time on my LS afterwards and told him I was buying a 2017 RX350 because I liked the loaner they gave me.

I'm a technical guy and fix as much of my stuff as I can... Taking my car to a mechanic is a considered choice that I don't make lightly or take advantage of.

So anyways, I'm chatting with this guy for a bit about the LS and I tell him about my intentions with the RX and probably because we were discussing oil leaks on the LS and I told him I have always put Mobile 1 and Mobile 1 filters on the LS that I felt the engine was in great shape for 150K miles on a 1997 LS400 second owner.

He then proceeded to start telling me that synthetics were the best. Part of my responce was that I used 15K Mobile 1, but that I still changed oil and filter prior to 5K because I felt the Mobile 1 oil filters (any oil filter for that matter) couldn't sustain.

So he says, You should use Zero weight synthetics in the RX your're buying after the first oil change. I was like... really???? I use 5W30 synthetics in the LS but you think zero-zero is an oil for cars?

Then he tried to convenience me that because of the tight tollerances of the RX engine and the clinate in the Virginia Beach/North Carolina region that Zero weight oil would be just fine.....

I typically never argue with folks.... I just let them speak and listen, especially if I feel a spark of curiosity from a reputable source.

I ended up leasing the RX... I live over two hours drive from the nearest Lexus dealer and I plan to change my own oil and record it if it works out that way. If I'm in Virginia Beach at the time of oil change... I'll just have it done as a no charge service...

But, use Zero-Zero weight synthetic oil?

I'm not on board with that... but I've learned new things before...

Whats the technical experience feedback considering that oil weight in the 2017 RX350?
Old 11-11-17, 11:36 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus, the manufacturer requires 0W-20 weight synthetic oil for the 4RX350 for normal driving, with change interval of 10K miles/1 year whichever comes first. You can change it more often if it makes you feel good, but the minimum is as mentioned. Now what is normal driving. Generally, this means everyday driving on paved road with maybe once in awhile with a tow or no tow, without heavy traffic requiring frequent stop and go, or extreme temperatures and infrequent mountainous routes. Finally, most are already aware of this, but oil weight or viscosity as indicated, 0W-20 means at colder temp (hence, the W which I always use to indicate Winter temps), oil viscosity could dip down to zero and could rise to 20 weight at boiling temperature of 212F. With such characteristics, it ensures oil will continue to provide proper lubrication to the engine even at sub-zero temp and boiling temps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jiggz858:
additude (11-13-17), ericsan13 (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 04:58 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Lexus, the manufacturer requires 0W-20 weight synthetic oil for the 4RX350 for normal driving, with change interval of 10K miles/1 year whichever comes first. You can change it more often if it makes you feel good, but the minimum is as mentioned. Now what is normal driving. Generally, this means everyday driving on paved road with maybe once in awhile with a tow or no tow, without heavy traffic requiring frequent stop and go, or extreme temperatures and infrequent mountainous routes. Finally, most are already aware of this, but oil weight or viscosity as indicated, 0W-20 means at colder temp (hence, the W which I always use to indicate Winter temps), oil viscosity could dip down to zero and could rise to 20 weight at boiling temperature of 212F. With such characteristics, it ensures oil will continue to provide proper lubrication to the engine even at sub-zero temp and boiling temps.
^This is the right answer
Old 11-13-17, 02:07 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Thanks! Appreciate...
Old 11-14-17, 10:37 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In the east coast or Canada, you should use 0W-20 as stated in the manual. In California or west coast, it really does not matter much since we never get to sub-zero temp.
Old 11-16-17, 02:51 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
In the east coast or Canada, you should use 0W-20 as stated in the manual. In California or west coast, it really does not matter much since we never get to sub-zero temp.
what about us middle land people ??
lol just kidding east and west has nothing to do with things,
Old 11-16-17, 08:52 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
In California or west coast, it really does not matter much since we never get to sub-zero temp.
Unless you don't mind voiding the warranty. I'm sure the change to 0W-20 was done to help Lexus tweak upwards their MPG figures and that using say a 5W-30 (as used previously by Lexus) is probably better for your car in warmer areas, but why take a chance on the warranty.