RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX vs Venza?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 05:09 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

The Venza/Harrier is a nice-looking vehicle. When it comes time to replace my wife's RDX, I'll be looking at the Venza, the RX (used/CPO), and maybe the Genesis GV80, if they depreciate like the G90.
Old 09-08-20, 05:41 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
The Venza/Harrier is a nice-looking vehicle. When it comes time to replace my wife's RDX, I'll be looking at the Venza, the RX (used/CPO), and maybe the Genesis GV80, if they depreciate like the G90.
Agreed. My next vehicle will definitely be a hybrid so the Venza and a CPO RX450h are already in the running.

Now I wonder if I'll miss the V6 power by opting for the Venza... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-08-20, 06:25 PM
paid4c4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Venza discontinued so odd we're even discussing this.
The 2021 Venza Hybrids are out and either at dealers lots or soon will be. I'm waiting for a call from the dealer when he gets one. They only come as a hybrid.
Bill
https://www.toyota.com/venza/
Old 09-09-20, 04:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,145 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
The 2021 Venza Hybrids are out and either at dealers lots or soon will be. I'm waiting for a call from the dealer when he gets one. They only come as a hybrid.
Bill
https://www.toyota.com/venza/
Built out with every option including heads up display and the frosted option panoramic roof is $43,000. Gets 40 mpg. We currently have a 2017 RX 450h. A comparable RX 450h with close to the same option would list at $58,400. $15,000 more for the Lexus badge no frosted roof, more horsepower and 10 less mpg would be hard to justify.

The following users liked this post:
Dave144239 (09-10-20)
Old 09-09-20, 06:37 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Built out with every option including heads up display and the frosted option panoramic roof is $43,000. Gets 40 mpg. We currently have a 2017 RX 450h. A comparable RX 450h with close to the same option would list at $58,400. $15,000 more for the Lexus badge no frosted roof, more horsepower and 10 less mpg would be hard to justify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVw...KelleyBlueBook
Agreed. In Canada, the differential widens to about $20k-$25k between a new Venza and a new RX450h so for me, the only way I'd cross-shop the two is if I was looking at a used RX450h.
Old 09-10-20, 01:47 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Agreed. In Canada, the differential widens to about $20k-$25k between a new Venza and a new RX450h so for me, the only way I'd cross-shop the two is if I was looking at a used RX450h.
We'll probably hold off on replacing our RDX for a couple more years, so it'll be interesting to see if the $40k Venza comes down to $25k or so used. If so, I'd be all over it. Looking at RX 350s, we're talking $30-35k for a '16 or '17 model right now.

I haven't bought a new car since 2003 - I prefer to let someone else deal with the major depreciation
AndrewTO (09-10-20)
Old 09-11-20, 12:53 PM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I am sure a Toyota Venza is a nice car but this is comparing apples to oranges. A RX 450h has almost 100 HP more. You are comparing a 4 cylinder SUV to a 6 cylinder luxury SUV. A much better comparison would be a Highlander to an RX. At least they are in the same SUV category.
Carfan94 (09-11-20)
Old 09-12-20, 04:18 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrobe
I am sure a Toyota Venza is a nice car but this is comparing apples to oranges. A RX 450h has almost 100 HP more. You are comparing a 4 cylinder SUV to a 6 cylinder luxury SUV. A much better comparison would be a Highlander to an RX. At least they are in the same SUV category.
The Highlander is a three row and the RX is a two row except for the very few L's you see. The horsepower difference is 76. The 0-60 time is 6.5 versus the Venza'a 7.6. I don't think certainly for me most SUV drivers care out performance especially hybrid drivers. A 7.6 time yes is not fast but hardly sluggish. I would certainly trade 76 horsepower less for 10 more mpg and lose 1.1 second in a 0-60 time and have $15,000 in my account.
Old 09-12-20, 07:10 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

The Highlander is a three row and the RX is a two row except for the very few L's you see. The horsepower difference is 76. The 0-60 time is 6.5 versus the Venza'a 7.6. I don't think certainly for me most SUV drivers care out performance especially hybrid drivers. A 7.6 time yes is not fast but hardly sluggish. I would certainly trade 76 horsepower less for 10 more mpg and lose 1.1 second in a 0-60 time and have $15,000 in my account.

You can get a Ford SUV too and save even more money. Then you can come on the Lexus forum and tell us why you don't want to spend the extra money on a Lexus.
GS350Miami (09-15-20)
Old 09-12-20, 10:02 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

It's not just the horsepower difference - isn't the 2021 Venza classified as a compact SUV; compared to the mid-size RX? It shares the same platform as the RAV4 - in essence, it's a coupe'fied version of the RAV4 (much like the X4 vs X3) with more amenities and luxury touches.

The new Venza is not related to the old Venza in any way except by name. It's a different segment altogether than the RX. If anything, it should be compared to the next redesign of the NX.
GS350Miami (09-15-20)
Old 09-12-20, 10:51 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

The Venza is basically an imported Japanese Toyota Harrier. Size wise It’s bigger than our Rav but smaller than our highlander. In Japan it’s the luxury RX equivalent, so in its Harrier JDM version it’s closer to Lexus quality than Toyota.

Everyone is SUV crazy so it made sense for Toyota to squeeze in another suv between the two trucks. Rather than spendIng gazillions of dollars developing a new one they just imported an existing truck that just had to be lightly modified to meet our safety standards. So it’s a new to us truck but not to the world, same thing Ford did with our “new” Ranger.

I can see where you would cross shop it with the RX if you were cross shopping a RX/Toyota SUVs. It’s not a apples to apples comparison though as I’m sure some of the Harrier luxury trinkets will be deleted or turned down a bit for cost cutting as here it is a Toyota and not a Luxury SUV.

This is a cool truck, with a hella cool roof and I expect it to sell well. It’s bigger than the RAV4 but sportier than the now soccer mom segment Highlander. Honda made the passport because young ppl look at 3 row suvs as the new uncool minivans but the crv was to small. In the Lexus world this would be the equivalent of a NX. I would of rather have seen a new FJ Cruiser With four actual doors as that segment is on fire right now but that’s probably in the works.

Last edited by ellocovg; 09-12-20 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 06:41 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by kolokmee
It's not just the horsepower difference - isn't the 2021 Venza classified as a compact SUV; compared to the mid-size RX? It shares the same platform as the RAV4 - in essence, it's a coupe'fied version of the RAV4 (much like the X4 vs X3) with more amenities and luxury touches.

The new Venza is not related to the old Venza in any way except by name. It's a different segment altogether than the RX. If anything, it should be compared to the next redesign of the NX.
I will say the official cargo specs peg the Venza just a teeny bit smaller than the RX in terms of cargo capacity so it's a wash when it comes to size. I've seen the Venza be referred to as a midsize SUV in a few reviews online, but I'm not sure what the official classification is.
Old 09-12-20, 10:12 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
I will say the official cargo specs peg the Venza just a teeny bit smaller than the RX in terms of cargo capacity so it's a wash when it comes to size. I've seen the Venza be referred to as a midsize SUV in a few reviews online, but I'm not sure what the official classification is.
Sometimes I forget how big the RAV4 has grown. The Venza may be almost 6 inches longer than the RAV4, but that's all in the front and rear overhang as its interior space and dimensions is identical to the current RAV4 (other than the sloping roof cutting down on trunk space).

EPA passenger volume between the RX and Venza is close (99.8 vs 98.3), but the key difference is the 4" wheelbase delta, and all that went to the legroom. But I can see where people might not care since the RAV4/Venza is already quite roomy.
Old 09-13-20, 04:07 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrobe
You can get a Ford SUV too and save even more money. Then you can come on the Lexus forum and tell us why you don't want to spend the extra money on a Lexus.
Now you are comparing a Ford with a Toyota. Why do you and others on a car forum have to make every discussion a pissing contest. Opinions are not wrong. When someone post something I do not agree with I except their opinion and would never ever contradict them. My facts about not 100 more horsepower but 76 and losing 10 mpg versus spending $15,000 more for one second faster and buying the same MANUFACTURER must have embarrassed you. Sorry for looking up the facts.
Old 09-14-20, 12:02 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Sheesh if you guys think comparing a venza to a RX is disrespectful, please don’t mention Ford. I had a Explorer Sport before the RX and the sticker price wasn’t to far off but that’s about as far as the similarities get. The Explorer was a good truck, nice for road trips and it had the baby 3rd row but the fit was horrible. I was amazed by how they skipped painting the inside of the door jams, painted the tailgate jams but they had the identical paint run on both sides. The bolts on the seat tracks were bare with no covers over them, and so many wires just bare with no harness loom over them including the rear view mirror which was as visible as could be. All in all it broke down on me three times in three years. The biggest complaint about it was the footwell was so tiny that I had nowhere to put my left foot, and I had to learn how to brake without getting my size 12 boot stuck on the hvac duct. On a Lexus we sweat the smallest of details Which on a Ford which cost not much less we just say ehh it’s nice for a Ford.

Now you are comparing a Ford with a Toyota. Why do you and others on a car forum have to make every discussion a pissing contest. Opinions are not wrong. When someone post something I do not agree with I except their opinion and would never ever contradict them. My facts about not 100 more horsepower but 76 and losing 10 mpg versus spending $15,000 more for one second faster and buying the same MANUFACTURER must have embarrassed you. Sorry for looking up the facts.

Quick Reply: RX vs Venza?