RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Finally! A quiet F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 08:49 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by farmer60
Removed my sound amplifier. Low rpm growl not as loud as before. --- Thxs MisterQ
My pleasure, enjoy the new quiet ride.
Old 03-19-18, 09:00 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
i did the part swap and its a waste of time and money....theres no real appreciable difference
I've not been back in the forum for awhile and I'm surprised to find that several people don't find the difference after swapping the sound generator with the quiet cap.
It was a big difference for me. Mind you, the big difference in engine sound occurs at acceleration from stop and also when running at low speed (i.e. rush hour traffic).
With the sound resonator, there was a rumble noise when accelerating from stop, or running at constant low speed; after capping it off, I don't hear the rumble at all and the engine is much quieter. Now it feels more like a quiet luxury car, which is what a Lexus ride should be.

Sorry to hear people complaining about wasting money. It was the best 16 bucks I ever spent on my car.
Old 03-19-18, 09:03 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterQ
I've not been back in the forum for awhile and I'm surprised to find that several people don't find the difference after swapping the sound generator with the quiet cap.
It was a big difference for me. Mind you, the big difference in engine sound occurs at acceleration from stop and also when running at low speed (i.e. rush hour traffic).
With the sound resonator, there was a rumble noise when accelerating from stop, or running at constant low speed; after capping it off, I don't hear the rumble at all and the engine is much quieter. Now it feels more like a quiet luxury car, which is what a Lexus ride should be.

Sorry to hear people complaining about wasting money. It was the best 16 bucks I ever spent on my car.
Thanks for recommending it. The low rumble that you speak of is definitely gone now. The car does not make as much noise during the engine rpm band either.
Old 03-22-18, 06:50 PM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone please take some pictures of the part? Perhaps with a ruler next to it too?
Is it something I need to get from Lexus or could something simple, like a PVC plumbing cap, work the same?
Old 08-03-18, 08:20 PM
ntu3012014
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi MisterQ or RX owners,

Can you do me a favor-- providing the outer diameter of the connector (shown in the picture)?
I am thinking purchasing this part to disable my 2013 GS's sound generator.

Thanks,

ntu3012014
Old 08-05-18, 08:26 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ntu3012014
Hi MisterQ or RX owners,

Can you do me a favor-- providing the outer diameter of the connector (shown in the picture)?
I am thinking purchasing this part to disable my 2013 GS's sound generator.

Thanks,

ntu3012014
same question!!
Old 08-10-18, 02:12 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious if these are still in short supply or are they readily available to order from the local dealer?
Old 08-17-18, 08:32 PM
kvtram
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got this installed and it is a lot quieter and seems smoother on hard accelerations. Part was $9 and shipping was $8. It was a 5min swap so if i miss the loud acceleration and acoustic piped towards the cockpit I'll interchange them again.

Last edited by kvtram; 08-18-18 at 12:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-18-18)
Old 10-23-18, 08:53 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Dealers don't keep these normally in Australia, the part is non-wearing and would only ever be required if damaged in an accident. Hence when someone requests the part it's ordered from Japan (in Australia's case), only takes 4 to 5 days.
Old 10-31-18, 08:52 PM
Robbiez808
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried to do the swap on the 2018 RX450H F-Sport ???? I couldn't get behind the air filter box, it seems attached to the hose and trust me, i removed quite a few parts and it was still solidly attached.....I gave up and decided it was probably impossible for my skill set. if you have experience or any useful tips, i would appreciate it,

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (11-05-18)
Old 11-01-18, 07:29 AM
jspe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbiez808
Has anyone tried to do the swap on the 2018 RX450H F-Sport ???? I couldn't get behind the air filter box, it seems attached to the hose and trust me, i removed quite a few parts and it was still solidly attached.....I gave up and decided it was probably impossible for my skill set. if you have experience or any useful tips, i would appreciate it,

Thanks
I just performed the swap on 350 F-sport the other day. Its not a 450H but here's the steps I took:
1. Loosened the hose clamp at the resonator neck completely until I could push it back & forth freely like the photo shows. Slide it towards the front of car you don't want it to fall down into the engine.
2. The resonator will be tight you need to twist it back and forth a few times with force (it doesn't slide out - the twisting action breaks the friction fit with the rubber intake).
3. Once you have the resonator removed from the fitting, the part is too large to clear the space above the air filter cover (large square shaped box) and the firewall overhang.
4. Unlatch the air filter cover and push it towards the front of the car. Now you will have enough space to pass the sound generator through.
5. The new resonator is very small compared to the Fsport resonator shouldn't have any problems putting everything back together.
Old 11-01-18, 12:27 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbiez808

Thanks
When I took a look at my 450H F Sport it appeared that it already had the smaller resonator on it. Did you have the longer one on yours?
Old 11-01-18, 06:30 PM
Robbiez808
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
When I took a look at my 450H F Sport it appeared that it already had the smaller resonator on it. Did you have the longer one on yours?

Thank you for that bit of information....i couldn't even get behind the air filter box to look and see whether i had a small one or a large one. I just naturally assumed that it was the big one because my car sounds different from my RX 350.

* getting to the resonator in a 450H FSport is way tougher than the non hybrid
The following 2 users liked this post by Robbiez808:
elimmigran (11-05-18), ericsan13 (05-09-19)
Old 11-02-18, 04:22 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

My car's an RX 350 and I replaced the resonator a few days ago - love the result, if you only keep the revs in the lower range you won't notice much difference but wring her out a little and the lack of roar is very noticeable. Some people have said the car feels smoother, I really don't think the resonator would have a bearing on the smoothness, however the aural difference may make it SEEM smoother, certainly appears much more refined and in keeping with the Lexus tradition of quietness, smoothness and quality.

Also the hesitation which is apparent in some situations is less evident - I'm a big believer in how the mind can be tricked into "seeing" something different to how it actually is with sound, lights, temperature etc, etc. When the car now changes up too soon and you give it a little more to get going the down-change obviously happens but you don't hear the engine roar as much so feels much better, the down-change is silky smooth so you don't feel that, you just get the surge forward that you're after without the drama.

This is how the car should have been from the start instead of trying to make a "sports car" out of a luxury SUV.
Old 11-02-18, 06:39 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
My car's an RX 350 and I replaced the resonator a few days ago - love the result, if you only keep the revs in the lower range you won't notice much difference but wring her out a little and the lack of roar is very noticeable. Some people have said the car feels smoother, I really don't think the resonator would have a bearing on the smoothness, however the aural difference may make it SEEM smoother, certainly appears much more refined and in keeping with the Lexus tradition of quietness, smoothness and quality.
Also the hesitation which is apparent in some situations is less evident - I'm a big believer in how the mind can be tricked into "seeing" something different to how it actually is with sound, lights, temperature etc, etc. When the car now changes up too soon and you give it a little more to get going the down-change obviously happens but you don't hear the engine roar as much so feels much better, the down-change is silky smooth so you don't feel that, you just get the surge forward that you're after without the drama.
This is how the car should have been from the start instead of trying to make a "sports car" out of a luxury SUV.
LOL, reminds me of my father telling me that his cars always seemed to "run" better after he washed them!

Quick Reply: Finally! A quiet F-sport