RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

NAV System - False Warnings

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 03:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,814 Posts
Default NAV System - False Warnings

I've noticed the system will often give false warnings during a route i.e. Road closed or heavy traffic ahead, when in fact the condition does NOT exist. Anyone else experience this? I'm simply ignoring them at this point but curious if there's a fix.
Old 11-27-17, 02:06 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

When my NAV has warned me of slow traffic ahead on my route, it was true and would run into slow traffic. I have little to complain about and the NAV system works pretty well for me.

This feature is not a Lexus thing, I think it is a HD radio thing as it tracks traffic and accidents on your route.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 11-27-17 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 07:28 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
When my NAV has warned me of slow traffic ahead on my route, it was true and would run into slow traffic. I have little to complain about and the NAV system works pretty well for me.

This feature is not a Lexus thing, I think it is a HD radio thing as it tracks traffic and accidents on your route.
so if this is a hd radio thing, i'm guessing it needs to be in more dense areas to work ?? or will it works heading down interstates ??
i drive several times per year from minneapolis to arkansas and also to tn/nc smokies area, curious if this would work, guessing i would still be running waze for the added information

thanks
Old 11-27-17, 07:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
so if this is a hd radio thing, i'm guessing it needs to be in more dense areas to work ?? or will it works heading down interstates ??
i drive several times per year from minneapolis to arkansas and also to tn/nc smokies area, curious if this would work, guessing i would still be running waze for the added information

thanks
I am not sure how the HD radio works. I would like to know how the HD radio knows the traffic has slowed down and where the accidents are. Who reports these accidents and how does the speed of traffic get to the HD radio people?
In Jacksonville, it works well. You can tell from way ahead if the traffic is slowing or even stopped. Accidents are marked on the map and there are times when in NAV mode you actually get a verbal warning of the accident or slow traffic ahead.

Maybe someone here know how this HD radio works.
Old 11-27-17, 07:56 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

On Thanksgiving I used the nav system (Enform App Suite) and was told slow traffic ahead on your route, there was no slow down, in fact the traffic was unusually light all the way to our destination. I don't know how often that happens.
The following users liked this post:
Plysskin (11-28-17)
Old 11-27-17, 11:44 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

On my last road trip, the NAV warned me for "Stop traffic" and suggested an alt route. So I followed it and went off the highway. Indeed I later saw stop traffic on the highway while driving on the road parallel to the highway.
Old 11-27-17, 11:59 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Indeed traffic and weather information is supplied by HD radio. In the event you aren't near an HD station, the Lexus Enform App Suite works as a backup data source for traffic and weather. BTW it has worked fairly well for me.
Old 11-27-17, 12:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
On Thanksgiving I used the nav system (Enform App Suite) and was told slow traffic ahead on your route, there was no slow down, in fact the traffic was unusually light all the way to our destination. I don't know how often that happens.
My exact experience. I just ignore it now which isn't great in the event it's accurate. Everything else with the NAV works fine for me.
Old 11-27-17, 04:41 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I am not sure how the HD radio works. I would like to know how the HD radio knows the traffic has slowed down and where the accidents are. Who reports these accidents and how does the speed of traffic get to the HD radio people?
In Jacksonville, it works well. You can tell from way ahead if the traffic is slowing or even stopped. Accidents are marked on the map and there are times when in NAV mode you actually get a verbal warning of the accident or slow traffic ahead.

Maybe someone here know how this HD radio works.
The Lexus USA site states " Denso works with NAVTEQ, Tele Atlas and InfoUSA to gather information for Lexus' navigation updates". Obviously the website is not up to date as the NAVTEQ brand doesn't exist (they changed the name to HERE maps in Nov 2012) and the Tele Atlas brand doesn't exist (they were bought by TomTom years ago). HERE and TomTom are direct and fierce competitors.

Whichever mapping company Lexus uses the method of obtaining traffic information is the same. The mapping company gathers information from numerous sources like government agencies, road sensors and GPS plot points from vehicles on the road. This information is processed and it can be determined how fast traffic is moving and where bottlenecks or accidents have occurred. The data is embedded in the HD radio signal. The mapping companies promote the fact that the data is updated every 30 or 60 seconds, however that may not always be the case as they have to process billions of GPS data points every day. Also the HD radio signal is only available in metro areas (mostly) so if HD reception is not available traffic info will not be available.
Old 11-27-17, 08:24 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350

Whichever mapping company Lexus uses the method of obtaining traffic information is the same. The mapping company gathers information from numerous sources like government agencies, road sensors and GPS plot points from vehicles on the road. This information is processed and it can be determined how fast traffic is moving and where bottlenecks or accidents have occurred. The data is embedded in the HD radio signal. The mapping companies promote the fact that the data is updated every 30 or 60 seconds, however that may not always be the case as they have to process billions of GPS data points every day. Also the HD radio signal is only available in metro areas (mostly) so if HD reception is not available traffic info will not be available.
Yes the traffic data is mined from many sources: commercial traffic data providers, departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, traffic cameras, etc. It is not crowd sourced as Google or Apple Maps. This information is compiled and delivered via radio frequency (FM/HD Radio™ or satellite) to your car.

Having said that, I have seen reports of traffic congestion and route changed, yet no congestion from normal experienced, nor a significant change in route. However, many times a congestion is reported that is accurate. So it seems it highly depends on the timeliness of the data and how well reported in the local city. The system also tries to predict your route, so for significant conmute, the data might be too old by the time you reach the incident.
Old 11-28-17, 08:58 AM
Plysskin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found the onboard NAV to be terrible. Recent Thanksgiving trip down and up the I-95/I-85 corridor on Sundays only had all the construction zones shown as slow downs but nobody was working.
Found Waze and my Valentine One to be best.
Old 11-28-17, 09:26 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Yes the traffic data is mined from many sources: commercial traffic data providers, departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, traffic cameras, etc. It is not crowd sourced as Google or Apple Maps. This information is compiled and delivered via radio frequency (FM/HD Radio™ or satellite) to your car.

Having said that, I have seen reports of traffic congestion and route changed, yet no congestion from normal experienced, nor a significant change in route. However, many times a congestion is reported that is accurate. So it seems it highly depends on the timeliness of the data and how well reported in the local city. The system also tries to predict your route, so for significant conmute, the data might be too old by the time you reach the incident.
the update is "supposed" to happen every 15 minutes over HD however I have noticed that it doesn't..

the system that provides the data is: http://www.ttwnetwork.com/ (you can check this website for your coverage area)

it is very limited (IMO) to its coverage areas, and it is very slow to update using only the HD connection. if you are running the Enform App on your phone, it will also use your cell service data connection and the updates happen a lot quicker and seem to be more accurate, but it is using a live data connection to the phone/cell service and will eat away at your data plan.