RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission Replacement at 7000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 04:36 PM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Replacement at 7000 Miles

So I bought the RX 350 around 6 months ago. Black, luxury version, non F-Sport. I noticed once in a while the car revs would go really high but it won't accelerate. Then over thanksgiving, multiple errors popped up.
I left the car at the dealership. They have the car for over a week now and have run multiple tests. They finally got in touch with Lexus and finally got a confirmation to change the transmission. Should have the car back in a couple of days I hope - I have my fingers crossed. Glad I have another RX 350 as a loaner, but this is my first luxury car and I chose Lexus for reliability. I know **** happens, but this is rather disconcerting.
Old 12-07-17, 06:47 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the check engine come one while driving?
Old 12-07-17, 09:14 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, stop driving so hard on the car. J/k

Ask Lexus if they will extend the warranty on the transmission, especially if they're giving you a rebuilt one, not a new one.
Old 12-07-17, 09:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer

Ask Lexus if they will extend the warranty on the transmission, especially if they're giving you a rebuilt one, not a new one.
I am pretty sure they will install a brand new tranny.
Old 12-07-17, 11:19 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My little brother's brand new 2017 Honda Civic 2-door turbo blew up and the vehicle stalled in the middle of the road after owing it for ONE month and less than 300 km on the odo. They fixed it within a day, but after we complained Honda Canada gave us 10 year warranty (regardless of the millage) on engine/transmission, free alloy wheel damage coverage, plus 6 years on all electronics plus 8 years of full roadside assistance coverage plus 8 year free oil change (we have to pay for service, but the oil and filer is free for 8 years).

So I think calling the dealership and 1-800 customer support to complain will help. It helped us some what for sure. Specially if we drive the Honda Civic like 100,000 miles by 7 or 8 year period and something happen to engine/transmission, it is covered because the 10 year warranty have no mileage condition. We already got a wheel replaced for free by Honda after alloy wheel was scratched a curb by my brother that was beyond repair.

You need to fight to get anything done after you purchased the car. I would fight Lexus to every penny.
Old 12-07-17, 03:43 PM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hubs
Did the check engine come one while driving?
Yes it did. Just normal driving at 55-60

Originally Posted by skiracer

Really? why would they put a rebuilt one? I assumed it will be replaced with a new one. They had to get the authorization from Lexus to do the replacement. But I will ask anyway.

Last edited by greatalok; 12-07-17 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 06:02 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by greatalok

Really? why would they put a rebuilt one? I assumed it will be replaced with a new one. They had to get the authorization from Lexus to do the replacement. But I will ask anyway.
BY ALL MEANS find out beforehand if it will be new or rebuilt.
Old 12-12-17, 06:30 PM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, they have put in a new tranny. I finally got the car back after 2 weeks. The service rep told me that they have been constant touch with Lexus and had the car inspected by a Lexus diagnostic expert. Drove the car back home and it was very smooth. Hopefully its the last of this. No money out from the pocket.

Quick question: will this get reported into carfax in the vehicle history. They told me it will be recorded in Lexus history but should be reported simply as a nominal service at Lexus in the carfax.
Old 12-12-17, 09:05 PM
Skygc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, they have put in a new tranny. I finally got the car back after 2 weeks. The service rep told me that they have been constant touch with Lexus and had the car inspected by a Lexus diagnostic expert. Drove the car back home and it was very smooth. Hopefully its the last of this. No money out from the pocket.

Quick question: will this get reported into carfax in the vehicle history. They told me it will be recorded in Lexus history but should be reported simply as a nominal service at Lexus in the carfax.
It will be a service by Lexus on Car fax.
Old 12-12-17, 09:24 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm sure glad this got sorted out quickly for you....BUT....as you said, it was disconcerting for you. Same for me, given that I'm about to take delivery of a CPO 2014 IS250 awd tomorrow at noon! I do have the powertrain warranty, but no comprehensive. I wonder if I should just buy some comprehensive warranty...
Old 12-13-17, 07:45 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
I'm sure glad this got sorted out quickly for you....BUT....as you said, it was disconcerting for you. Same for me, given that I'm about to take delivery of a CPO 2014 IS250 awd tomorrow at noon! I do have the powertrain warranty, but no comprehensive. I wonder if I should just buy some comprehensive warranty...
IMHO, a major point for buying Toyota/Lexus vehicles is their reliability, so I wouldn't consider extended extra cost warranties.
Old 12-13-17, 09:05 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

In my Honda Accord many years ago, i had a transmission failure during warranty period. Honda gave me a rebuilt transmission and doubled the warranty for the transmission..
Old 12-13-17, 12:14 PM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
My little brother's brand new 2017 Honda Civic 2-door turbo blew up and the vehicle stalled in the middle of the road after owing it for ONE month and less than 300 km on the odo. They fixed it within a day, but after we complained Honda Canada gave us 10 year warranty (regardless of the millage) on engine/transmission, free alloy wheel damage coverage, plus 6 years on all electronics plus 8 years of full roadside assistance coverage plus 8 year free oil change (we have to pay for service, but the oil and filer is free for 8 years).

So I think calling the dealership and 1-800 customer support to complain will help. It helped us some what for sure. Specially if we drive the Honda Civic like 100,000 miles by 7 or 8 year period and something happen to engine/transmission, it is covered because the 10 year warranty have no mileage condition. We already got a wheel replaced for free by Honda after alloy wheel was scratched a curb by my brother that was beyond repair.

You need to fight to get anything done after you purchased the car. I would fight Lexus to every penny.
I'm surprised Honda caved like that. You had a car that failed within the warranty period, and they took care of that repair at no cost to you. That's all their obligation should be. That's what a warranty is for. Kudo's to you for getting the extras, but I wouldn't expect any company to do that when they fulfilled their obligations to fix the car under the warranty.
Old 12-13-17, 05:13 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by allwheels
I'm surprised Honda caved like that. You had a car that failed within the warranty period, and they took care of that repair at no cost to you. That's all their obligation should be. That's what a warranty is for. Kudo's to you for getting the extras, but I wouldn't expect any company to do that when they fulfilled their obligations to fix the car under the warranty.
I think you are right. We are lucky that Honda Canada responded in favor of my brother. But legally and contractually they don't have to if you read the fine print of the warranty agreement. I think OP should at least try because it never hurts to try to get some extra.
Old 12-13-17, 05:27 PM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mssca
I think you are right. We are lucky that Honda Canada responded in favor of my brother. But legally and contractually they don't have to if you read the fine print of the warranty agreement. I think OP should at least try because it never hurts to try to get some extra.
Well I am gonna try it out for a week or two and if it works fine, I would let it be. It is just 6 months old and the basic warranty is for 48 months and power train warranty is valid till 72 months. As long it runs fine and is not a lemon, I am good. Their service is pretty good so I am not gonna fight over this. Not worth the stress and time for me, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Quick Reply: Transmission Replacement at 7000 Miles